Do you have a favorite local radio station?

kuisis

Another topic on favorite album of the year got me thinking about local radio and if anyone listens to it much anymore. My favorite is 91.3 WYEP in Pittsburgh. They play a variety of music, from Bela Fleck to Yellowman. Does anyone else have a local favorite, with the internet you can listen to most of them on line.

Almost NEVER listen to radio unless travelling when I enjoy the local flavor. When in NYC always get a Spanish-speaking station!

I despise the horrendous bass-heavy DJ mics, the talk over until 'post' time (when vocal track starts on a recording) the endless commercials, yuk-yuk all morning drive time, etc. Talk radio, Rush UGHHH.

Okay, I'll give one good credit. There is nothing like listening to a GREAT sports announcer like Bob Lamey doing a Colts game. Just paints a picture in your head. Very descriptive and enunciates brilliantly.

Give me 6x CD's in the car any day. I pick what I want to hear. Period. My first good stereo was integrated amp with no tuner. I owned a Yamaha RXV850 for 10 years and NEVER programed a single station into it. Same with two other receivers today.

Sirrus or other satellite radio, that'll be ruined soon as they get enough people hooked. Remember MTV was commercial free at first also.

Michael

With Music Choice's commercial/DJ free digital feed of just about any genre my mood desires, I have no need for local radio except in the car. Even then I can't listen to "music" stations. Between the loud commercials, the DJs and the compression, YUCK!!!14.gif5.gif

Michael,Sports anouncers ARE better on radio than TV. Be it the Red Sox, the Patriots or (especially for me) the MRN broadcasts of the NASCAR Nextel Cup races (super segueways!). The radio guys must paint a picture with words and are able to do it without the banal stupidity of the TV guys.

Rick

In Little Rock, I listen to 920am. (talk radio)

Years ago used to listen to the mighty KAAY 1090, Beaker Street played all night the great sixties and early 70's back in the day.

I met and married my wife in graduate school. As a youngster from NE Iowa, she used to listen to KAAY, too. It was a 50K watt flame thrower that went directional in the evening.

For anyone who remembers this "underground" radio program, you might want to check out Clyde Clifford's (the DJ) website.

http://www.beakerstreet.com/index.html

WNYC 93.9 FM in New York City.

Its a National Public Radio station. When they get away from politics, they have a wonderful set of musical programs.

For instance, from 11PM to 12PM they have a program called "New Sounds". The music is almost always NOT Rock, country, jazz or trditional western classical music but usually something very unique like Gamelon music from Bali, Indian classical music (like Ravi Shankar), minimalist music (like the music of Philip Glass or Steve Reich) , or the music of Henry Cowell or Harry Partch or maybe an up and coming composer from anywhere in the world. In short, musical works you won't hear any place else. All of which are not only unique but of a very high caliber. I don't know how they are able to produce such a quality program each weeknight.

The advantage they have is they are not strictly bound by ratings or commercial interests.

I think the D.C. area is lucky to have 3 classical stations -- WETA, 90.0, WBJC (Baltimore), 91.5, and WGMS (commercial w/ads), 103.5. Right now, though, I'm in Boise, Idaho, where the local university has an FM public radio station, KBSU, which uses great ingenuity to assemble a good mix of available programming. Here's Monday - Friday:

Midnight BBC World Service

4:00 am Morning Edition

8:00 am Adventures in Good Music

9:00 am Classics with Alan Chapman

10:00 am Classics with Kimberlea Daggy

1:00 pm Classics with Charles Andrews

5:00 pm Fresh Air

6:00 pm All Things Considered

7:30 pm Marketplace

8:00 pm Echoes

10:00 pm Blues Deluxe (Mondays)

Edges (Tuesdays)

A Prairie Home Companion (Wednesdays)

Fluid Drive (Thursdays)

Shakedown Street (Fridays)

The 8:00 - 5:00 classical music programming features a really good variety, which I don't think originates locally although the station mixes in local news items to make it sound comfortably nearby. Saturday's programs include things like "Celtic Connections" and a jazz program hosted by Janie Harris, the widow of jazz pianist Gene Harris, who is said to have been of some note. I thought her program was pretty good -- but what do I know about jazz!

KBSU, based in a public university, relays its broadcasts to small, frequently distant Idaho towns. This is one way good classical programming CAN be brought to small places!

Larry

P.S. See the Boise State Radio website: http://radio.boisestate.edu/stations/?link=1.

Mainly NPR (for the news/talk stuff, not music - and I'm a Republican 3.gif ) - lots of interesting stuff. Their reporting rivals CNN or FoxNews in terms of detail, not talking to you like you are 7, being interesting, etc. Some of the guests are great!

I do listen to some morning shows, which I LOVE, but they have 5 minuites of show, 10 minuites of commericals, back for a few minuites, and maybe another 5, 10 minuites of commercials!!! Really sucks. The commercials are all the same and are REALLY annoying...

Larry, what are you doing in Idaho? Something of your learned medical work I hope.

I see this thread has been hijacked away from pop to classical.

WFMT here in Chicago is the best darsh gonne classical station on the planet. It used to be on cable but now you can subsribe on the 'Net, I understand.

Travelling around the country, I tune into NPR as a first choice. It seems that the local stations will pick up on the "talk" feed from D.C. with some discretion. Gosh, some of it is not ultra liberal, anti government, "victim here" after all.

Then they go to local programming which is sometimes local talk (interesting), local classical, or local jazz.

It is true that there are a few conglomerates buying up the frequencies and giving us the same old junk. Tuning for the hold outs is worthwhile.

Gil

We have a great local station here, 93.3 WKCT. Sunday evenings there's 'Dead Air' centered around Grateful Dead and related Jam Bands/Indie Music. Monday night a blues show hosted by Greg Martin (of the Kentucky Headhunters) ... a local guy with HUGE numbers of connections. He's always setting up the greatest on air interviews with Blue's greats throughout the land.

Late Monday is the LowDown HoeDown... a showcase of local talent.

The local NPR station has the usual goodies.. Car Talk, Piano Jazz, Prarie Home Companion (LOVE that show), and a locally produced show 'Barren River Breakdown' which is dedicated to Bluegrass/Folk music. 16.gif

----------------

On 12/27/2004 11:20:57 PM kenratboy wrote:

Mainly NPR (for the news/talk stuff, not music - and I'm a Republican
3.gif
) - lots of interesting stuff. Their reporting rivals CNN or FoxNews in terms of detail, not talking to you like you are 7, being interesting, etc. Some of the guests are great!

I do listen to some morning shows, which I LOVE, but they have 5 minuites of show, 10 minuites of commericals, back for a few minuites, and maybe another 5, 10 minuites of commercials!!! Really sucks. The commercials are all the same and are REALLY annoying...

----------------

For radio that sucks, come to Korea! The koreans do nothing but talk, talk, talk!! At least I can tune in AFN 88.5 FM. The situation was much better in Germany when I was there '84-91. I still like to listen to SWF3 out of Baden-Baden on Webcast. Better than most anything available locally.