What's the FURTHEST

colterphoto1

Having just back from a road trip, I ask you:

What is the furthest you have driven or the most $#!t you have gone through to transport a set of Klipsch speakers?

Michael- 15 hour round trip, luckily in the Accord to get 4 RB5 and KLF-C7. Paid $850 for the set, so guess it was worth two tanks of gas and my day.

My Khorns were in our wrecked delivery van in the parking lot at work. I did have to load them on my pickup to get them home, though.9.gif

I drove to Cincinnati to get a dog. I did stop overnight in Mansfield to get exceedingly drunk, just to make sure the trip to Cinci was absolute hell.

270 miles (round trip) to get my Fortes. Still haven't rebuilt the Choruses or refinished the Academy that UPS ruined or did their best to. The Academy, at least, is useable. So, when I'm done, building two Chorus cabinets, repairing a crossover, replacing a mid horn, and veneering both Choruses and the Academy will be the most I've gone through to own a set Klipsch.

My memory is fuzzy and my notes are at work, but I drove from Knoxville to Chicago for my K-horns. Was approximately 24 hours of driving time if memory serves me (round trip). I made it a social event, stopped in Cincinnati to have lunch, stopped for night in Indy to visit an old friend, next day drove up/back to Chicago and returned to Indy after picking them up. Visited same friend again and the next day, worked way through Cincy, then back to Knoxville.

Left on Wednesday & got home Friday night, worn out may add. Spent most of the time either driving or sleeping.

3.gif

Only 55 miles to Clearwater to help my bro pick up his Klipsch KG 5.5 towers.

Only 12 miles to Best Buy to purchase my ProMedia 2.1s.

If I recall in '79, my dad only drove about 8 miles to Newington, CT to buy the Cornwalls.

Probably the SHORTEST road trips made...1.gif

----------------

On 12/30/2004 6:28:54 PM jt1stcav wrote:

If I recall in '79, my dad only drove about 8 miles to Newington, CT to buy the Cornwalls.

Probably the SHORTEST road trips made...
1.gif

----------------

Jim, you even got me. It's 17 miles from work to home!

100 miles each way to Sacto for the Khorns, 35 each way for the KSP-400s, 13 for the C6 & S5s, 10 each way for the KG4s, 45 each way for the 1st Corns, 10 for the second pair, 50 for the Heresys. All the rest were shipped1.gif .

----------------

On 12/30/2004 6:28:54 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Probably the SHORTEST road trips made...
1.gif

----------------

Ha! I got ya beat... a 6 mile *round* trip to get my Khorns.

Before that, however,

140 round trip (Nashville, TN) for the first pair of Cornwalls

700 mile round trip (Atlanta, GA) for the 2nd pair of Cornwalls

Both sets of Heresys were shipped.

Forrest

An ebay buyer drove all the way from Chicago, Illinois to Benton Maine to pick up a pair of Zebrawood Cornwall II's that I sold.

When he got here it was dark and I could tell he really felt out of place. We loaded the speakers in the back of the car and he and his girlfriend were outta here. It's like he couldn't leave fast enough. I think the long drive and the culture shock freaked him out. I don't think he realized how far up and away from everything Benton Maine was.

Man, I hope he didn't go North when he hit the highway! Benton is a cultural mecca compared to some of the territories in Northern Maine! LOL.

Greg

Well I'm thinking about a 2400 mile trip down to Orlando to pick up a pair of Chorus II's unless I can find a better way of getting them here in Chicago. 15.gif

Other than that, I drove 2 blocks out of my way home from school to pick up a pair of Marantz 940's out of the "trash" (indoors of course) 9.gif

Well a 2600+ mile round trip from VT to NC and back for my '77 Khorn's would be my longest. My brother in law Gilbert came from Tulsa, OK to Burlington, VT and back for his '61 Cornwalls.

I sold my La Scala's to a guy in Dubuque, Iowa who drove all the way up here to get them.

I have gone to Maine three times, once for my '88 Khorn's, again for a pair of '78 La Scala's and a 15" Velodyne subwoofer. The last time for my '62 Cornwalls.

I am amazed at the selfless dedication to these speakers, I can't see anyone driving these distances for just an average pair of speakers.

Frzninvt wrote:

"I am amazed at the selfless dedication to these speakers, I can't see anyone driving these distances for just an average pair of speakers."

Exactly. That was my point in starting this thread. I'd just finished a trip and had the feeling that many of my Klipsch Brothers had gone through similar experiences to chauffeur home a new pair of babies. Dedication is precisely the word. We give not only transportation, but we then have to rebuild back to factory spec or better, reveneer or clean up our new treasures, then locate matching pairs to complete our massive HT systems.

The madness continues...

Michael