Forgetting *

dodger

Well, it's back to feeling old and irritable again.

Reading of the Eric Clapton Guitars Concert.

Great line up.

Not in CD. DVD, yes, SACD: unsure, but it sounds like no.

So, DVD time if I want to hear a great Concert. At least most VHS also had sound track on CD.

Would grab a CD in a heartbeat.

So we've gone from LP to CD to LP coming back.

DVD, SACD questionable whether release. So we get stuck with re-issues of the re-issues we have.

We have money tied up in LPs, CDs and related equipment. Oh don't forget that for anything but home, (or studio) reel to reel is out, cassette is just about faded.

Another rant on technology for technology. Embrace technology. HMMMMMM, The day I go to the Philharmonic and I have a musician playing behind me, or to the sides, I'll embrace it. Just keep thinking, they get the mine 2 channel seems to be getting the shaft.

Well end of rant, thanks for letting me vent again. I'll put an asterisk in the subject when it's a 2 channel rant.

Hey Eric, some of us over 45 want to stay in 2 channel. CD PLEASE??

dodger

Many of the well recorded DVD concerts as well as multichannel SACD's have very minimal information coming out of the surround channels.

Just like the reflections off of the concert hall walls. You know you are inside a large hall, but the musicians are in front of you up on stage!

The orchestral works from Telarc that I own on SACD are recorded in this fashion and are excellent!

I know I'm a phillistine in most things audio, but I am just not at all interested in multi channel. Five good speakers are far more expensive than two and almost every 5 channel amp I've ever heard sounds like hell compared to a good two channel rig. I guess I'm still trying to come to grips with the magic that good old stereo is capable of rendering with the right equipment. Hell, I'm continuously straining my budget to do two channel well, much less 5 channel.

Nick

----------------

On 1/11/2005 8:02:40 AM Allan Songer wrote:

MONO rules!

----------------

While I may not go that far Allan, I had on an old LP by Frank the other night and it sure did sound good even though it was in mono. I did set the pre-amp to mono source and that cut the noise a little. AND, BTW, 6550 tubes can and DO sound good!

----------------

On 1/11/2005 8:02:40 AM Allan Songer wrote:

MONO rules!

----------------

Allan,

Why is that? For some reason, in my mind, mono holds the same place in the hifi chain as multi-channel audio.

Stereo just feels more natural (for lack of a better way to put it.) As for multi-channel audio, I don't know when it'll end. I'm sure, several years from now, we'll see the entry of 11.1 surround music.

Mono, well seems kind of unintuitively retro.

I'm sure both have their own charms, but I can't figure out what they are.

What am I missing?

-F

----------------

On 1/11/2005 3:08:17 PM nicholtl wrote:

I have to agree. I have all the setups possible for every format, but I've decided that 2-channel listening, on vinyl at that, is my favorite.

Don't worry Win, you have LP and CD gear. That's all you really need.

----------------

Thanks, Nick

Now Eric pay attention, Nick and I have spoken. Others have noted a preference. Please release the music on CD or at least send me aa copy please?

dodger

Sorry about your frustration Doger. I'm wondering if the DVd could be burnt to a cd-say set the dvd to 2 channel playback and record off of it that way. Not very technical, as you all know by now, but just a thought. Maybe the boys ovre in the HT section would know more.

----------------

On 1/11/2005 5:33:19 PM thebes wrote:

Sorry about your frustration Doger. I'm wondering if the DVd could be burnt to a cd-say set the dvd to 2 channel playback and record off of it that way. Not very technical, as you all know by now, but just a thought. Maybe the boys ovre in the HT section would know more.

----------------

Not owning a DVD yet, unsure.

But open to suggestions.

Thanks, Thebes.

dodger

Having both 2 channel and multi in the same room I can say I do enjoy a well

laid out and recorded surround mix.

I love my 2 channel also, not sure which I like better but as dodger seems to

put it, would be nice to have the music we want on the format we like.

Pretty cheezy to only be on dvd. At least dvd-a and sacd have stereo though.

(but then again you do need another player)

Agreed also to put together a nice multichannel setup can get very expensive

to do it well. I'm running 7.1 all tube amped and all pretty much full range

speakers. (Quite pricey)

No I don't listen to stereo recorded music in multi, only multi in multi.

But for the most part all the multichannel recordings I have also have a

stereo track so you can listen to the one you want.

If you get creative you can have a nice 2 channel and multi in the same room.

The other thing I believe though to do multi any justice you need a decent size room!

Much bigger than needed for 2 channel.

I've walled off half my basement for my setup. But I wanted a nice movie room too!

Really it boils down to, do you want to make the room and spend the extra cash

that it takes to make multichannel worthwhile.

Meaning that if you don't have the room or make the room plus spend what it takes

to do multi right then no it's not worth what it's all cracked up to be.

But when setup right in a nice size room can be quite an experience.

Sorry if my post is misguided but felt the need to let others know my thoughts

and my own experience!

Take care.

Live rules but mono is almost always the next best thing with older recordings. Whenever I have both stereo and mono versions of the same LP, the mono copy wins EVERY TIME and it's usually not even close!

Win - I have SACD in both my systems and only use the 2-channel setting. Sounds great and is an option on all these SACDs. As far as DVD goes, I can't help you there. I own a few but rarely watch. Maybe twice a year.