SUPER DUPER OHMYGOD MAJOR SCORE!!!!!!

thebes

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the help guys. I need one with a phone stage and I am looking at the Conrad Johnson but I'm very much inclined towards the Dynaco PAS 3 because it's basicaly been totaly rebuilt.

Fini I know it should take my time but man do I want to get this up and running. Right now it's just beplaeyed through a cd player and I sure that's not nearly optimal.

Sorry Sunny but I'm not about to give up my Scott, it's headed straight for my basemment system next to my computer, although that may change down the road when I get enough dough to have Craig sweeten up my Fisher 500c. I'm thinking whatever I can get as a stopgap can always be sold off later, but I'm still very much open to feedback. Of course I could probably wait a few days and go broke trying to bid on the probably tube pre I let get away yesterday, which I'm sure, after seeing how that console wss stripped will be on ebay shortly.

Looks like we got quite a shootout shaping up for tomorrow. Yup, amongst other things it Gary's free Khorns vs. my practicaly free 8B. We'll just have to start calling ourselves The "Score!" Twins as opposed to The Twins.

Hi Thebes,

I got a call from Win (Dodger) regarding your lucky find. You have a great amp there. I've looked over the pictures, and, although the coupling caps to the EL-34's were replaced, the input coupling and HPF caps were not. What's worse is that the bias supply cap (the large one on the lower right in the photo) was not. I've seen many of them dried out by now. I also can't see if the old selenium rectifier is there... if it is, it should be replaced with a silicon rectifier. If you need any advice on this amp, I have many year of experiance with them, contact me at dave500@frontiernet.net

Again, from a long time Marantz enthusiast, congratulations!

DrDave

Great score but I can't believe you didn't look the console over closer to see what the other marantz gear was!

If the amp was an 8b and the other gear was of similar vintage you probably missed out on at the very least, a tuner and a preamp.

The speakers could have been Heco? German made?

----------------

On 1/15/2005 12:58:46 PM Dflip wrote:

This is almost like giving them away----nice mate for your Marantz.

It looks like Smilin is after this Peach, $635 and he has bid three times on it already. ----------------

No, it couldn't be smilin. He already has one.

Congrats on the 8B thebes. That's supposed to be a great EL-34 amp.

----------------

On 1/15/2005 4:26:46 PM Piranha wrote:

No, it couldn't be smilin. He already has one.

----------------

Sure looks like smilin. Look through his feedback. Who else would be scarfing up all those gold CD's. Not to mention enough 6922 tubes to open his own store. 9.gif

Amazing score Thebes. That's the stuff of dreams.

If you are interested in a PAS 3 I have one I could let you have at a good price.

It's been tweaked a bit by the previous owner. Only has balance, volume, and selector, no tone controls anymore (knobs are there they just aren't hooked to anything). Craig would know more about what was done to it.

Send me an e-mail if you're interested.

----------------

On 1/15/2005 7:18:41 PM garymd wrote:

I think he wants two identical systems so he can properly a/b these CD players. Seriously. Either that or he's buying it for one of his AG buddies.
12.gif
----------------

Oh yeah, maybe that explains it.

I like my system just fine with one Peach. 9.gif

Thanks for all of you thank you's and for sharing my excitment with me. Gear wise this has been the most exciting weekend of my life not only with my find but my visit to Gary's house for a four amp shoultout with 3 sets of good ears to help try them out. You can see my comments and the other listeners in Gary's McIntosh and Khorns thread.

I think the consesus is they are indeed impressive but will need a basic going-over. But first I've got to get a pre-amp and listen to them at home so I'll be able to compare them properly after they come back and provide the folks here with a more in-depth report.