R.I.P Johnny Carson.

m00n

Carson was truly great. One year the writers went on strike against NBC, so he had to do his own monolog at the beginning of his show without the help of the writers. Carson was easily better than any of his writers.

I have missed him for years. It isn't that Leno isn't as good, it's just that he doesn't do Carson's routines. Johnny is entertaining a new audience now.

Bill

Yeah it is sad to see the king of late night TV pass. I admired his ability to take the brunt of the joke. I never felt he talked down to a person but simply found their level and treated them with a modicum of respect. I also found it interesting there is not going to be a memorial service.

Many a night I fell safely asleep as I heard his voice when I was very young.

Older, I saw the best, THE TONIGHT SHOW starring Johnny.

There will never be any other taht will come close.

Goodnight Johnny, sleep in Peace.

You have earned it.

And Goodnight Karnac.

Rest easily.

dodger15.gif

He lived the last few years of his life his way; In peace and out of the public eye. Johnny was one class act. I've missed him ever since Leno took over, but it was time for him to bow out gracefully. And, that he did. 12.gif

He was one of the reasons I got into electronics to begin with. When I was about 11 years old my bedroom was in the attic of our three story house (+ basement). My time for bed was 10:00 but I never wanted to go (did any of us?). Rather than go to sleep I set up a cheap little black and white 12" TV a few feet from my bed. Now mom and dad made it a habbit of doing bed checks at random from the bottom of the steps so I thought of a way to counter-act having to go to sleep.

My dad is/was a great fix-it guy and had parts to anything lying around. I found in his work shop an in-line rocker switch for a lamp cord. Having never put one of these in before I decided to put it in the power cord for the TV at a point that could reach just by the head of my bed. I just held that switch in my hand and when I heard the door knob turn...*click*. It was so fun! Years later I got to see Johnny's show IN COLOR!! Now that was cool.

Before any of that while we had sleep-overs at my best friend's house (Larry). Johnny was the highlight of the evening. If there was a guest host on that night we would go play Monopoly or Life for three or four hours.

The funniest show was when Burt Reynolds was breaking eggs inside his pants. Never forget it.

I still have Jonny's last show on tape. I'm definitley gonna get it out soon.

Good night Floyd R. Turbo and that salesman act with the blond, Freddie DeCordiva(sp), Ed, Doc, Tommy Newsom and the rest of The Tonight Show.

P.S.- That coffee mug on Johnny's desk was made here in Cincinnati by a company called Mr. Mugs. in Delhi Twp.

...An Icon from my childhood (and later) years; I remember when we finally got color sometime in the 70's, and I was amazed that the curtains (at that time) were multi-colored!

He was the personification of Grace; some of the most dead-on timing of any comedian, night after night. I kept an eye on the listings for my favorite comedians: Carlin, Seinfeld, Lewis, Letterman, sometimes Leno (can't stand him now)... all of them came into prominence in my mind from watching their appearances on the Tonight Show. That "OK" sign was great to see, and usually meant I had just laughed until it hurt...

I always felt bad for that guest that was scheduled last, and would sometimes get about 30 seconds, or not get to go on at all.

Mr. Monologue, King of Late Night and the Double-Take, we will never see his like again...

Goodnight Carnack... 15.gif15.gif

----------------

On 1/23/2005 3:28:15 PM paulieparrot wrote:

No one could get more laughs out of just a reaction look into the TV camera.
----------------

Your are 100% right on this, Paul. And I think that is one of the things I have missed most through the years since his retirement.

One class act. May he rest in peace.

It's truly sad. I keep thinking of all the great comedy, Personality and his Comedic Personalities.

Other than Saturday Night Live - the original, there has been, to me, no others even worth watching.

We have been so lucky in our lives. Red, Jackie, Jack, Rodney, Johnny to name a few.

Another loss. This may sound corny but the phrase Johnny, we hardly knew ye, comes to mind.

For the other audience now, HHEEEEEEEERRRREEEESSSS Johnny.

Thank you for all the laughs.

Good Night.

Win

7.gif8.gif

Johnny was greatness. Part of the reason I never registered for an 8 am class in college. Had to watch Johnny (then of course a Mash rerun afterward).

Johnny's talent has been missed since 1992 (I too have the last show on video), but now its especially sad knowing we will never again hear "Heeeerrrre's Johnny".

I, too, was one of those youngster who knew it was bedtime when I heard, "Heeeeerrrreeee's Johnny!" on the television. My favorite episode was when Johnny had Jack Nicholson on the show, promo'ing "The Shining." Instead of Ed McMahon, Nicholson did the opener, using the same "ragged" voice he used in the movie.

I am reminded of the television program, "Inside the Actor's Studio," and one of the questions the host, James Lipton, likes to ask all of his guests: "When you reach the Pearly Gates, what would you like to hear St. Peter say to you?" Thinking of Carson, the answer is obvious..."Heeeeeeeeerrreeeee's Johnny!"