cabin fever???(amy please dont move this thread)

tkot

ok... first of all im not the forum police.

that said , im a short time member. in the time ive been involved with this forum, ive learned a lot, shared some back

and in general had a great time.

over the last few weeks ive noticed a trend where some people

who have differing opinions get fairly nasty with each other.

putting down each others,equipment/ tastes in music /brain power

ect.ect.

that in and of itself is bad enough, but when it is done with the pretense that they speak for every other member of this forum thats crazy. from what i have seen the majority of the members are soft spoken and kind even when they disagree!

this is the way it should be. this is the way it has to be!

having been a member of more than a few forums where the threads and or posts in a thread degraded to nothing more than a pissing match, it more often than not signals the beginnig of the end! the mods take control, people loose interest , and find somewhere other to spend thier time. i dont want us to go that way also.

the keyboard is a powerfull weapon! it can do harm when you cant even see your "enemy". it is also not a very accurate weapon,many times hurting people who are nothing more than innocent bystanders.

people who may normaly be soft spoken and kind can be effected

by this yearly thing called winter, it gets light late, it gets dark early, it effects people. statisticly it effects more than

50 percent!!

case in point, i have seen recent posts(funny or not) where people interject something they think is funny, and get blasted for it!

as long as it doesnt hurt any one, great let the quips fly. it makes for more interesting reading!

i like many here enjoy a good argument, as long as you dont say that i suck, my equipment sucks ect.ect. its fine with me, and i would think that it would be fine with most forum members.(although i would never pretend to speak for everyone) the point i made above about it getting personal, is where we should all draw the line.

i started this topic because i was finding it increasingly uncomfortable to read through some of the threads here, and couldnt believe some of the things being said.

if im out of line

im sorry

but i felt it needed saying

spring is around the corner!!9.gif

and i hope we can all get along till then

jay

It's normal this time of year, AFAIK. I'm a moderator on another hobby-type forum that has even more traffic than this place. Every year about this time the guys go berserk, I think cabin fever is the right term. It's mostly the guys that live in the Northern parts of the country that freak out.

For example, a guy posted some stuff that had to be edited the other day, next thing you know he's posting about free speech rights, censorship, separation of church and state(?), Hitler, the whole nine yards. As always, as soon as they drag in Hitler you know they're sliding over the edge. This guy is normally good-natured, friendly, has boatloads of info to spread around, writes well, etc. Gave him a month off to think it over. Hopefully there will be a couple sunny days and will recover. It's cabin fever.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/31/2005 11:37:00 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

It's normal this time of year, AFAIK. I'm a moderator on another hobby-type forum that has even more traffic than this place. Every year about this time the guys go berserk, I think cabin fever is the right term. It's mostly the guys that live in the Northern parts of the country that freak out.

For example, a guy posted some stuff that had to be edited the other day, next thing you know he's posting about free speech rights, censorship, separation of church and state(?), Hitler, the whole nine yards. As always, as soon as they drag in Hitler you know they're sliding over the edge. This guy is normally good-natured, friendly, has boatloads of info to spread around, writes well, etc. Gave him a month off to think it over. Hopefully there will be a couple sunny days and will recover. It's cabin fever.

----------------

no doubt to that!

Jay makes a great point.

I know that what I post is my opinion -I do not and do not want to feel that I speak for all on the Forum.

In addition is this little thing called anonymity. Behind this keyboard, we rule. How dare anyone tell us these are the rules.

It's almost a mob mentality at times. We were given a suggestion to Post more about Klipsch subwoofers. Well, what a tizzy. It came to using the words censorship, what next and other assorted points.

Well it worked for a while. Now it's SVS this, SVS that. There was a thread today in which the discussion was getting SVS subwoofers. Price. Spend $2600.00 on Speakers, worry about timbre matching, and only want to spend $500.00 for a sub.

They're so good, no-one complains about them. I know of two that dropped dead and the owners were too embarassed to Post.

As I started, a thread today was about getting SVS. I suggested the Posters look into Klipsch Demos or used Klipsch. Then I Posted that they broker their SVS deal on the SVS speaker Forum.

I haven't gone back to read how ripped apart I've been. Frankly my dear, I don't give a darn.

I know I'll be ripped for this. I also see when I Post some things, few respond. I've been ignored by Superiors when I was workng.

I also know the things I got done and Commendations received. I had to walk by those Superiors to receive them.

But Jay, the SVS thing was in the Fall. No cabin fever.

My sig says a lot. I was in flames before I learned no-one wins. The passion for Audio is strong.

We strive for the best Reproduction of hundreds of variables. In doing so we hear some negatives.

But in the end, what you say about personal attacks rings oh so true.

I don't think that there is a Member that isn't proud of what they've put together and any changes they will make. It's not easy. But there don't have to be personal or Equipment put downs. Be happy for what you have, the ability to share knowledge and learn.

Life, and the Forum, are learning and sharing experiences. They are also support for those we have never met that need it.

Every Member is equal. We all shine in one place or another. I can't think of better as we look with an open mind.

dodger

In Ca. people get testy when it rains for 2 weeks and we can't work on our suntan! I can't imagine what happens when you are locked in your house by all that white stuff, cold, slush and such. It must be the salt. I know if I have too much of it on my fries, I puff up with water retention, if I had to live IN the stuff, that would be enough to ...... well it wouldn't be pretty6.gif6.gif3.gif

----------------

On 2/1/2005 1:16:59 AM AndyKubicki wrote:

----------------

On 1/31/2005 11:37:00 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

...Every year about this time the guys go berserk, I think cabin fever is the right term. It's mostly the guys that live in the Northern parts of the country that freak out.

Are you trying to start another Civil War?

3.gif

----------------

Nah, Tom's probably right.

There's something about shoveling your driveway in 2 degree weather turning around to see that you have to start over.

Then when you think you're through, the sidewalk plow comes by, then, after you finish shoveling what that left and you get halfway back inside, the street plow comes by.

By that time you're sweating and it immediately freezes. But it's better tahn others have it.

dodger

• Moderators

Hmmm... I think I'll let this thread stay. It's actually very relevant, especially in the volitale 2-channel forum.

We all need to let out some agression this time of year--in a constructive way, of course.

Try having cabin fever with a teething 5 month old!

AHHHHHHHHHHH 6.gif

As someone who is relatively new here (just about a month) I know I asked A LOT of questions...I was all set to get a Synergy F-3 system and I am sure if I had that I would have been happy with it...several posted here about listening (again) to the Heritage line...having a pair of KG2s (I know, NOT Heritage) and having heard Heresy IIs often enough, I gave this a re-listen...I will say that MANY here helped me along in my choice and there were compelling arguments on both sides...I will also state that I got many responses from a select few who fumed over my choice (I do NOT mean those kind few who took the time to e-mail me...I REALLY appreciated your points of view) or who scoffed at my "juvenile questions" (what, you weren't born with full knowledge of Quantum Physics, you Cad!)

I think this place is great, I have bought MANY more Klipsch speakers than I intended, learned of the great deals to be had on ebay and the rips there as well and found a nice little community here where people seem to really want to help their fellow hobbyists and to forward the craft.

I hope it remains this way, we will survive the Winter.

Just my .02

Bill

I've been pondering a good way for forum members to let out their agressions in a productive yet agresive matter. It came to me the other night when I was watching Office Space you know the baseball bat to the copier scene. What we do is start a collection of Bose 901 gear and then supply agresive members with baseball bats yes I know this seems scary but we can trust them. Then you just start a real life bose bashing system as long as no one says anything positive about the bose everything shoud be ok.

Just a thought....