Assorted Tube Questions -- PLEASE HELP

Gilbert

----------------

On 2/24/2005 10:58:20 AM Allan Songer wrote:

What are the "sonic bugs" you are hearing with your C-22? I have reccomended DeWick in the past and have heard nothing but good things about his work, so I'm a bit surprised. He went through an MX-110 for a good friend of mine and did a really fine job on both the preamp and tuner sections about 3-4 years ago and the unit has performed flawlessly since.

----------------

Hey Alan:

The not so biggie is the panel light. Neither the dim or bright light, work. The biggie is the HF switch. When de-activated the right channel goes completely dead & emmits allot of static through the corresponding speaker. When activated there's a real loud nasty POP!, but then she play's fine after.

Also, the condition of the switches, with all the dried up foam is pathetic. It is simple to clean up, I did it and it took me 20min., if even that. The foam no longer serves a purpose, and can potentially cause future problems if left in place. Problems like the foam debris getting into mech. dials & switches. Debris getting behind the glass face.

Also, when I removed the entire front end to change the front glass (and clean the rear), I decided to remove the top cover and peek inside. There was lots of debris and little pieces of dried platic from wire insulation. IMO it was excessive, and sloppy work. A pig is cleaner. I would never, ever dream of returning a customer's product with that kinda crap inside. From research that I've done, I heard the place to send macintosh preamps and similar components is in NY. The name of the place escapes me, but I'm sure you know it. The name of one engineer there is Monteforri or something like that. Kilpatrick is another name I remember. Their both suppose to be a mac guru's. But I don't know that from personal experience, only what I've heard. I've also heard the DeWick uses crappy cheap parts. And based on what I've seen of his work, I'd have to agree.

I have paper work on this preamp the shows DeWick messed with it about 5 or 6 months ago. Personally, from what I've seen thus far, I wouldn't risk sending him my sony alarm clock.

======================== ========================

ADD ON--I just saw charles's post (Frzininvt):

CB is right. It's AudioClassics. I've heard similar things about their used equipment prices being very high, but on the positive side, if you buy it from them it comes with a decent warranty (however short) and you know it's been thoroughly gone through. Face it, if you buy something used like this your more than likely going to send it to someone for repairs. So given that, I wouldn't mind paying a marginal/reasonable about more for the peace of mind that AudioClassic's can provide.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

Illuminating as usual. Thanks for taking the time to explain in detail.

Gilbert,

You're making assumptions and jumping to conclusions about work done months ago. Feel free to do so, but I think it's bad form to voice those assumptions in public. Just my .02

Does the serial # on the Dewick invoice match your C22? I've got a C11 in to Tom Manley who works with Tom DeWick and so far, they seem pretty damn meticulous. Proof wil be when I get the unit back I guess.

I love the work AudioClassics does but they are expensive. Expect a $500.00 bill to go over and repair your C22. The work will be top notch though.

----------------

On 2/24/2005 1:15:55 PM mdeneen wrote:

" thanks for the rant.."

=========

I really wasn't ranting, just trying to add my POV on tubes!

mdeneen

----------------

Didn't mean rant in a negative at all, sorry. rant = extravagant speech or writing. I love the point of view keep em coming....

Ben, I agree. But those are the fact as I saw and experienced with my own eyes. I'm just a little PO'd about having just spent $2500 for this vintage preamp in this condition, sonically. The preamp is such an important part of the system. I should have followed a wise mans advice and purchased the Blueberry first, and waited for a C22 in Pristine condition.

Scott:

Yes, the paper work matches the preamp. It has you know whos name and date (Aug. 24, I think) on it.

Personally, I'd rather spend a little extra now. The savings will be seen in the long run. I'm a firm believer in the old saying "you get what you paid for". Anyway, who know's (certainly not I), maybe this was just an isolated case.

Do you know what a C22 sounds like when it's working properly? Maybe yours is working fine and you just don't like the sound? I love mine,, but it certianly isn't for everyone! Those who hate it say it has a very dark, veiled sound. I think it's very lush and warm. Maybe you're in the former camp?

Pinpoint detail and clarity IS NOT what the C22 is all about and if you're looking for that I'm sure the Blueberry (and many other modern designs) would run CIRCLES around the old McIntosh!

No, it's not that at all Alan. The HF switch is malfunctioning, no doubt about it. As to whether this C22 sounds correct (as mac intended it to sound), I don't know. I've never heard one before.

But I dearly love the way mine sounds as long as I don't mess with the HF switch. A knowledgable tech. suggested a bad capacitor....and from my former life as an elec. tech., it makes perfect sense. Caps are typically the first thing to go. These old puppies are prone to leak when left idle too long.

I bet you ANYTHING that Terry Dewick would be HAPPY to discuss the preamp with you over the phone and would probably offer to go through the C22 for you at a discounted rate considering he gave it a bill of good health only a few months ago. He has an excellent reputation and as I said did some excellent work on an MX-110 for a good pal of mine. I think you should start there.

Audio Classics does fine work--but get out your wallet. And I'm sure ol' NOS Craig would love to get his hands on a C22 for a full restoration. He'd probably do it cheap just for the expereince of tearing into it!

Oh God Mark, don't rub it in. Geez, I already got a self inflicted bruise on my butt. By the way Mark, do you have any in stock, with the Walnut case.

Alan, I spoke with NOS,he didn't want it. He suggested DeWick. Also, it is possible that the damage was sustained during transportation. But the debris inside, and rotting foam left on the switches........in excuseable IMHO. Maybe I'm being too anal.

Gilbert,

I would be glad to work on the C22 for you. But its far from my specialty since it would be the first C22 that ever hit my bench. But tube gear is tube gear it all works on the same set of principals. I bet the HF switch problem is a very simple fix. I just didn't want to step on Terry's toes and figured he should get a chance tp redeem himself on this one. I don't know him personally just what I have read and heard through others. This report from you really surprises me.

Craig

----------------

On 2/24/2005 5:03:45 PM mdeneen wrote:

We've been out of the walnut for a bit - more are coming. You can check our web site for the current inventory of the new solid wood optional cases

Note: These are not the old "optional cases" which were plywood veneer. We've just added these this week from a new local furniture maker we are working with. These mamas are all solid hardwood - no ply. We will probably discontinue offering the old optional plys in favor of these solids.

mdeneen----------------

Mark,

Your link is dead!

Did you ship out my all solid walnut dovetailed case yet?

Craig