KHorns $700 in Illinois

Thumpelstiltskin

I would like to wait a while to descibe what happened.

Let me, though, now say that I believe the seller is very much a moralist and felt compelled to repost at close to the same price.

Things tend to get astray when you've got two pig-headed moralist in a transaction.

Right now all I'll say is "Oink-oink-oink".

Hey, this could turn out to be the Vanderveken of K-Horns. The Flying Dutchman which is cursed to roam the seas with no hope of a port.

Smile,

Gil

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/3/2005 6:37:57 PM D0N wrote:

----------------

I don't believe in beating up on members unless I'm shafted. ----------------

if you lived locally to these khorns and wanted them you might be singing a different tune. I do not but I feel for those who do.

----------------

Obviously you do not know me. It could have been my next neighbor.

This involves The Seller, Gil and the 2nd buyer. It would be the same as with my neighbor.

It's a business transaction among. The only time that would be different would be if I were asked in.

If you need proof, ask Chris Robinson.

I saw a beautiful pair of style B K-Horns Walnut. Told $1000.00 for the pair. I came home and posted them, the store, a phone number.

Granted they were not Klipsch dealers. I had my pickup , blankets and the money if I sold a couple unused pieces.

I still feel that if he wished, he may never had known.

The BIN thing is a first come first COME first served. worthy of watching as a number of the deals fall through and get relisted

Also people will verify, any items I put up for sale are Forum First.

But would anyone get happy or instead show remorse as Gil.

And he gets ridiculed. Put yourself in his shoes.

dodger

I live 1hr from the speakers and missed them buy 5min and then again tonight because I had to work so to say the least a was a little mad.But they are just speakers easy come easy go.I do think what gil did was wrong but his heart was in the right place and that is all that counts. 1.gif

----------------

On 3/3/2005 11:53:35 PM dodger wrote:

If you need proof, ask Chris Robinson.

I saw a beautiful pair of style B K-Horns Walnut. Told $1000.00 for the pair. I came home and posted them, the store, a phone number.

dodger

----------------

I will certainly vouch for Win here. He found the beautiful pair of KBWO's just minutes from his house and my friend (Doug) and I were out there in two days to pick them up. If Win wanted profit, he could have flipped them himself. Instead he chose to extend the offer to us. Now Doug has a fine pair of speakers for just what he could afford to pay. He is indebted to Win.

On top of all that, Win is a fine man and a gentleman. I would have liked to have spent the day chatting with him if we didn't have a return trip to Boston to pull off in the afternoon.

I'd call him a friend any day of the week.

Win has been a straight shooter with any business deals I have had with him. No complaints, well there is his niece but that is another story3.gif

I am sure the deal with the Khorns unwound for a good reason, thats the way life is. If Gil chooses to let us know what happened that is his right, if not that is his right also.

Let me, though, now say that I believe the seller is very much a moralist and felt compelled to repost at close to the same price.

Things tend to get astray when you've got two pig-headed moralist in a transaction.

Right now all I'll say is "Oink-oink-oink".

=============================================

Well, should we be surprised a fellow board member is "above board"? NO.. Gil is a great guy and contributes wonderful stuff here. EVEN BETTER IN PERSON!

Seller is a moalist..

I wonder if something about the speakers was not on the up and up?? Non Klipsch Drivers.. Non working drivers.. Something changed drastically making them not really Klipsch, (i.e.) Water damage or missing something?? Gil would know if he saw them in person.

Deals such as these have a way of going around in circles... "Oink-oink-oink" may be the clue this wasn't what it seemed to be?

That's my guess.

He sold it anyway for $750!!!

I bought a $1500 O'Day 19 sail boat once for $100 from a family friend because they could not sell it for $400 and wanted it out of the yard, how do I know it was worth $1500? Because after the halyard broke and the bottom needed cleaning, I donated two years later for $1500.

One man's Picasso is another's man' puke.

----------------

On 3/3/2005 11:01:58 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

----------------

Gil, why all the mystery? Leaving us to speculate is dangerous business. 16.gif Probably crazier than not buying a pair of Khorns for $700. 9.gif

Well Win (Dodger) you got your wish a nice pair of Khorn's, and they look like late 60's or early 70's with the pie slice logos in the finish that you were looking for just popped up in Rochester, NY with NO SHIPPING local pickup so you may have your chance. Better start finding buyers for those Cornwalls!

If they weren't 400 miles each way from me I would bid on the things. See eBay.

----------------

On 3/4/2005 5:16:24 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Well Win (Dodger) you got your wish a nice pair of Khorn's, and they look like late 60's or early 70's with the pie slice logos in the finish that you were looking for just popped up in Rochester, NY with NO SHIPPING local pickup so you may have your chance. Better start finding buyers for those Cornwalls!

If they weren't 400 miles each way from me I would bid on the things. See eBay.

----------------

Man, that's close enough for me to drive!

I saw those K-horns you're talking about, in Rochester, That's not too far from me, but to buy 'em I'd have to sell something first, and quick..lol. Anyone wanna buy a 79 Oldsmobile? lol. It'll be interesting to see what they go for. I'm sure quite a bit, that's why I don't have a pair.

I'm curious while we're on the subject, what is a reasonable price to expect for a late 70's early 80's pair of K-horns? I'd never sell my corns though, just move 'em to rears. I have a 14x14 foot room with perfect corners and a 10 foot slanted ceiling. Could that room work for K-horns?

-Jon

That room would work and my guess is they will go for $2500 or less the biggest factor that will deter more bidding is the NO SHIPPING clause and that will give folks within driving distance a better shot at getting them. Good luck you guys they look very nice for that vintage.

My use of the phrase oink-oink-oink was simply to say that, in retrospect, I was pig headed in a way and suffered from being needlessly altruistic. Never again. I learned my lesson.

I have no reason to think there was anything dishonest going on on the part of the seller or anyone else and not having seen the speakers, I have no inside information.

Let this simmer down for a week or so.

Gil

Altruism is a funny thing, but Gil--it is nothing to feel bad about. These days altruism is a rare commodity in our highly competitive society. But altruism is something I have seen time and time again on this Forum and it is one of the things that make this a special place.

No doubt, sometimes you feel like a sucker--here's an example. In 2000, I saw a pair of Klipschorns in the local paper for $1350. I had always admired Klipschorns and even though I didn't have the cash I borrowed from my VISA account. After the transaction the Khorns were shoe-horned into our master bedroom and hooked up to a Sony ES-series home theater receiver that had served me well on my Magnapan SMGa's. But the sound with the Khorns in that setting was terrible. I also tried a McIntosh Mac-1900 receiver but it was still terrible to my ears. Harsh, sibilant, ice-pick-in-the-ear terrible.

I found the Klipsch Forum and lurked for a while. I learned about tube amps, caulked horns, source materials, all sorts of things. But I couldn't justify doing all those things to my stereo rig because I spent money I didn't have to begin with and figured I had made a mistake in purchasing them. These speakers were 1981's with a Oiled walnut finish and they were perfect--no blems, rings, chips, or other glitches. After about a year of hoping my ears would adapt, I ran into a financial crunch and decided to sell them.

I first advertised the Klipschorns in two local newspapers for a week at the price I had originally paid. I knew that the price was low, but I didn't want to hassle with shipping and I needed to turn them over relatively quickly. I was not yet a Forum member and didn't even think about asking for help here. On the first day the ads ran I started to get calls. One local guy came out to see them first. Like me he was of modest means and said he had always wanted Klipschorns. He hammered me down another $100 on the price, but asked if I could hold the speakers for a week while he scraped the funds together.

He seemed like a real nice sincere guy and said he would treasure them forever. I felt the Khorns would be going to a good home, so I agreed to sell to him even though other people were calling trying to schedule time to see the speakers. Some folks were offering money over the asking price to hold the speakers for them. But I felt helping out the local guy was the right thing to do.

Well a week went by, and the local guy showed up and paid me for the speakers. I had received lots more calls during the week and wrote down the potential buyers names in case this guy flaked out on me for some reason. Then I gave the new owner the list of names and noted if he ever got into a financial crunch, that he could always get more than he paid for the speakers. He assured me that he would never sell them. I then personally disassembled, delivered, and set up the speakers for him--another half day of my time. Everyone was happy.

Three weeks later I ran into the guy in the grocery store. Feeling good about having done the right thing, I asked how the speakers were working out. He explained that he had sold them the week before for exactly twice the price he paid me for them. He told me this without the slightest trace of embarassment--knowing I had turned down more money so he could have the speakers. Suddenly I didn't feel so good anymore--I felt seriously taken advantage of.

What's more important though is that in the years since that experience, I started hanging out more at the Forum and thanks to all the good information here--some provided by Gil--I came back to Klipschorns in my system (as well as every other Heritage speaker). I now know how important good set-up is. I've bought and sold many Klipsch speakers with other Forum members and had many positive experiences and even met a few of you in person. It all comes out in the wash.

If Gil wasn't such a altruistic person, he wouldn't spend so much time here posting great stuff that helps all of us. Gil, thanks for being who you are and don't have any regrets about that!

Best in horns,

triceratops