difference between AL & AA crossover??

what would be the difference between these 2 crossovers and how would they affect a pair of la scalas differently, recent purchase of a pair of 1977 & has the al crossover as i understand they should have the AA. am i going to be losing sound or was this considered an upgrade thanks10.gif joe

No, they should have the AL in them, you need to slow down.

Step 1, get the speakers in the house.

Step 2, slow down, relax and listen to them a bit.

Step 3, see if you like what you are hearing, are they missing anything.

Step 4, if unhappy then consider upgrading or swapping networks. A reworked AA would work but don't do anything until you have at least heard them!

Joe, Leave the ALs until you can build a pair of ALKs. The LaScala really shines when the squaker is tamed and room matched by Al's design. The first thing to do is damp the K-400s. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=268-020'>This from Parts Expressa> is what I used on mine. It is much easier to use on a LaScala than rope caulk, no need to remove the horn. I also plan to add it to the top wooden panels and inside the bass bin before I put the Las into daily service.

Rick

----------------

On 3/9/2005 8:12:38 AM Frzninvt wrote:

No, they should have the AL in them, you need to slow down.

Step 1, get the speakers in the house.

Step 2, slow down, relax and listen to them a bit.

Step 3, see if you like what you are hearing, are they missing anything.

Step 4, if unhappy then consider upgrading or swapping networks. A reworked AA would work but don't do anything until you have at least heard them!

----------------

Hmmmm. this too sounds vaguely familiar....hmmm step 1, 2, 3 hmmm.

hey guys i really appreciate the input, i was only going by what another forum guy said he made mention that he saw the sale advertised and that the crossovers were not original, he said that the speaker should have the aa crosovers, he also said looks as though the mid driver was an updated one, i had no plans of messing with them just yet, i totally beleive in hearing before dismantleing, i was concerned i may have got a pair someone had rigged up sounds like the other forum member was mis informed i appreciate all the feedback 10.gif Joe

Actually, I re-read your post and the other forum member was correct a '77 La Scala should have had the AA crossover network in them. They probably upgraded them in the 80's to the AL network and the newer K-55M midrange drivers and you can be that they paid a good deal of cash to do that when they did it. While the AL is not a favored network here they are still going to sound GOOD regardless. That's the great thing about Heritage speakers there are a bunch of options when it comes to upgrading and making things better. One step at a time though.

yes i also receeived a message from bec with the same info, i will get them home and see what i can hear, these things broke me to the bone pocket wise so i caant even think about upgrades at this point i just want to enjoy the sound everyone says these smoke cornwalls as far as sound goes, and in the end thats what it is all about, i do prefer my gear be original but with speakers this old they were almost bound to be tweaked, or repaiired at some point, seems rare to get completely original, and mint. and of course if you do find that the price will reflect that condition. thanks for the input10.gif Joe

----------------

On 3/9/2005 8:28:01 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Joe, Leave the ALs until you can build a pair of ALKs. The LaScala really shines when the squaker is tamed and room matched by Al's design. The first thing to do is damp the K-400s.
>This from Parts Expressa> is what I used on mine. It is much easier to use on a LaScala than rope caulk, no need to remove the horn. I also plan to add it to the top wooden panels and inside the bass bin before I put the Las into daily service.

Rick

----------------

thanks for the ideas rick i will keep them in mind after i get these here. Joe

Joe,

When I mentioned the driver and crossover thing in the other thread, I didn't necessarily mean it as a negative. I tend to gravitate toward originality and I especially love the AA network that were originally in your 'Scalas. But as others have pointed out, they're going to sound Excellent no matter what!! Best of luck with your new speaks-

Jeff

----------------

On 3/11/2005 3:38:02 PM tidmack wrote:

Joe,

When I mentioned the driver and crossover thing in the other thread, I didn't necessarily mean it as a negative. I tend to gravitate toward originality and I especially love the AA network that were originally in your 'Scalas. But as others have pointed out, they're going to sound Excellent no matter what!! Best of luck with your new speaks-

Jeff

----------------

i gravitate twords all original also i will tell the truth and say i was a little dissappointed to find they were not original after all, however the first opinion has began to wear abit, and i cant wait to get them home and see how they sound, of course you know it had to snow all weekend in ny, so i cant go pick them up till next weekend now thanks for all the input guys 10.gif Joe

im a cw fan also have 2 pair at present , 1977, and 1980. absolutely awsome speakers love them but i have always heard the la scala's will blow them away, guess i will see come this saturday i hope to have them home and hooked up, waking up the neighbors(HE HE HE!!!!!!) not unlike now setting here listening to some pete townsend (chinese eyes) sounds so good through the 77's and my 78 heresy's, want to try an experiment get some herseys and set them atop your cw's, i dont think you will listen to cw's the same way again. best of both worlds get the awsome bass, and mids from the cw's and the awsome highs from the heresy's i will post an update and either bash cw's or la scalas (not really) will post an update though10.gif Joe

----------------

On 3/11/2005 11:11:20 PM 3dzapper wrote:

BUMMER!!!
15.gif

Rick

----------------

i found an original set of the AA crossovers for 125.00 on ebay hope this was a good price as i hit the buy now (just seemed to be a good price) at least i can do an A-B comparison and give my 2 cents worth10.gif Joe

----------------

On 3/16/2005 9:36:22 PM DeanG wrote:

Wish I would have seen this thread sooner. You just paid $125 for $50 worth of parts, and half of them aren't fit for anything except the trash can.

----------------

Dean,

That is a bit rough. The caps are junk in an original AA but the rest is ok. Worth more like $75.00.

Bob

----------------

On 3/16/2005 8:28:31 PM joessportster wrote:

----------------

On 3/11/2005 11:11:20 PM 3dzapper wrote:

BUMMER!!!
15.gif

Rick

----------------

i found an original set of the AA crossovers for 125.00 on ebay hope this was a good price as i hit the buy now (just seemed to be a good price) at least i can do an A-B comparison and give my 2 cents worth
10.gif
Joe

----------------

You forgot about step 2, "Slow Down"

Chris

now you guys have me agreeing with rick "BUMMER", at some point in the future i was planning on having the AA rebuilt to original spec, so dean what will that cost me?

i cant slow down rick if i do one of you fellas will skyrocket right past me and scoop up all the deals i THINK are decent, heres another one for you what would a set of k55v with the metal (k-400)horns be worth in working order10.gif Joe