Black Grill Cloth Update

Budman

----------------

On 3/10/2005 5:57:06 PM Budman wrote:

just received my #17 black grill cloth from Ralph at duracrest. it is an exact match to the grill cloth i bought from klipsch 5 years ago. Ralph will send it to you and you have 30 days to pay for it. $17.95 a yd up to 6 yds and 15.00 for 7 or more yds. don't know how much for shipping because he hasn't sent me an invoice yet. he doesn't have a website but he is close to chicago. said they supplied klipsch for 20 plus years. 708-344-4900

----------------

got my invoice today from dura crest. 7 yds X 15.00 = 105 and 10.00 for shipping comes to 115.00 what a deal!!!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carl,

When my son gave me my Heresy IIs (black lacquer) I didn't have serial numbers on them. The IIs had paper tags instead of having the number stamped along the back edge. The paper labels were gone. I opened up those cabinets (removed woofer from front) and found the dated inspection stickers inside. Considering how they cranked out the Heresys, I figured those dates were close enough. Perhaps you will find a date on something inside.

Marvel

I would try Aileene (sp?) Tacky Glue which is sold by most craft stores, including Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. It grabs fast and dries clear. I've used it on a variety of fabrics, including plasticized types, and plastic items with good results. The only problem is that is has a high solvent component and the fumes are a little intense in confined spaces. Like most similar products it is flamamble. I have used the 3M 77, 80 and 90 spray adhesives with good success on fabric, especially olefin 'cabinet carpet' for PA boxes. Being a spray it harder to control the laydown than with thick liquid adhesive.

Cane fabric was very fashionable in the 50s and 60s and so should be available from professional decorator sources who are involved with restoring furniture of that era. Antique dealers specilaizing in 'retro' should be able to network to these folks. You may also look for a craftsperson weaver who might make small run of it.

----------------

On 3/10/2005 6:43:16 PM Budman wrote:

----------------

On 3/10/2005 6:08:57 PM yaffstone wrote:

Do you know if they have original cane as well?

----------------

he said no one makes the original cane anymore. wendell fabrics has some that is close and it is plastic coated. i will be ordering from them next week.

----------------

If Wendell is absolutely the last source on earth for cane grill cloth, then buy from them. I was warned after I placed my order. Hunter (at Wendell) charged me more for shipping than for the fabric. He would not tell me how much shipping was, then faxed me the next day, ~$35 for the fabric (2 yards) and $37 for shipping.

I cancelled my order and ordered from Ralph at Duracrest. He was as nice as could be, you send him a check after you get the fabric, and shipping was only $8. It took a while to get the cloth, but I definately reccomend Duracrest (unless you feel like getting ripped off).

Chris

----------------

On 3/15/2005 12:49:42 AM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

If Wendell is absolutely the last source on earth for cane grill cloth, then buy from them. I was warned after I placed my order. Hunter (at Wendell) charged me more for shipping than for the fabric. He would not tell me how much shipping was, then faxed me the next day, ~$35 for the fabric (2 yards) and $37 for shipping.

I cancelled my order and ordered from Ralph at Duracrest. He was as nice as could be, you send him a check after you get the fabric, and shipping was only $8. It took a while to get the cloth, but I definately reccomend Duracrest (unless you feel like getting ripped off).

Chris

----------------

"I was warned after I placed my order."

If you had researched the forum, e.g., http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=47852&forumID=71&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={B45F4E94-400C-4ADE-89EB-85E3CF169599} you would have been warned BEFORE you placed your order.

I'm glad it didn't cost you anything, though, and I'm glad you're willing to tell others about your experience.

• 1 year later...

just received my #17 black grill cloth from Ralph at duracrest. it is an exact match to the grill cloth i bought from klipsch 5 years ago. Ralph will send it to you and you have 30 days to pay for it. $17.95 a yd up to 6 yds and 15.00 for 7 or more yds. don't know how much for shipping because he hasn't sent me an invoice yet. he doesn't have a website but he is close to chicago. said they supplied klipsch for 20 plus years. 708-344-4900

Budman thanks for this thread.

I just got off the phone with Ralph and he is great to deal with. He even told me to call him back when I got started if I needed any tips.

These folks have been supplying the black OEM grill cloth to Klipsch since 1973.

Ralph is very helpful. I bought black grill cloth from him last year and he gave me these tips:

1) be sure to sand the surface of the grill board where the old cloth was. The old glue needs to be removed so you have a flat surface.

2) unroll the grill cloth and use the length for the veritical dimension (you can easily get two Cornwalls across the bolt this way).

3) use a thin-spread film of Elmers glue on the front surface of the grill board to adhere the new grill cloth.

4) cut the width and length to allow for about an inch of cloth on the back along each side. Cut a square notch at each corner (this gives one overlap at each corner).

5) use non-flammable (non-solvent based) contact cement on the back perimeter of the grill board (apply to the the grill board and the cloth and press together per the contact cement instructions).

6) if needed, use a hair dryer to tighten the cloth.

My results were great.

Ralph specifically recommended DAP contact cement. I found the DAP non-flammable at Lowes in the 1 quart size (you will only need a few ounces). Home Depot only sells it in one gallon containers. This stuff works very well.

post-14182-13819284506662_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Are the new pie logo's still available from Klipsch?

BS

Yes, I just received a couple. Klipsch calls them Jubilee Logos. I think they were around $12 each.

Can somone elaborate on the hair dryer method for tightening up the grill cloth? Is this how Klipsch did it back in the olden days?

Greg

Gotta be real careful with the heat gun/ hair dryer..... Just one method, as there are probably a number of good ones: I usually wash them with dishwashing liquid (anti-bacterial Dial) and warm water in the bathtub first. Rinse them out well, and place them in the rear of a floor fan (Walmart 24" type...) The fan sucks out the moisture, etc. As often as not, they will shrink up enough for you. After that, to "detail" them I wash them again with water and a non-perfumed hair conditioner that has lanolin. Dry again with fan. That gives them the "new" sheen. If that does not tighten them up, you can take a hair dryer and blow medium hot air over them (work in a pattern at about 2" per second about 5-6" away, starting in the middle and go vertical left and right). Be very careful not to let the hot air heat up the cloth too much.... It can damage the cloth weave permanently. If your hair dryer has an attachment that goes on the end that makes it blow out in a rectangle, that's much better. Hope that is of some assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would update this update thread.

I just called Duracrest and the cost for the #17 black grill cloth is $22.50 per lineal yard. Each yard is 36" long of course, by 72" long, 70" or so is usable. I ordered 6 yards, and the cloth was $135, the shipping $25 for a total of $160. They only have #17 black, no cane, no brown. You send a check or money order and then they send the cloth.

Greg

• 5 weeks later...

I thought I would update this update thread.

I just called Duracrest and the cost for the #17 black grill cloth is $22.50 per lineal yard. Each yard is 36" long of course, by 72" long, 70" or so is usable. I ordered 6 yards, and the cloth was $135, the shipping $25 for a total of $160. They only have #17 black, no cane, no brown. You send a check or money order and then they send the cloth.

Greg

So here we are a month after I sent the money order to Duracrest and I still haven't received the cloth. I'll call them next week to get the scoop.

If you do a search for Duracrest here on the forum, you'll find a lot of good things have been said about them and a lot of negative about Wendell Fabrics. My experience has been completely the opposite. With Duracrest, there is only one choice of fabric (black), they don't take credit cards or paypal so I have to go get a money order and send it to them, the money order or check has to clear before they send the product, I thought the cost per yard was higher than Wendell Fabrics charges, and obviously I'm having issues with the service.

I never had these problems with Wendell Fabrics and from now on I'll only be dealing directly with them for my grill cloth needs. My only critique of Wendell Fabrics is that they aren't really set up with an in-house sales person, so you might not get a cheery sales person who is trained to take phone orders (same with Duracrest). But they have been competent, and it only takes me a few minutes on the phone to put the order in and make payment by credit card, and the order shows up in less than a week. With my busy schedule that's worth a lot to me.

I thought I would try Duracrest this time around, but I'm sorry I did.

I'll report back to this thread after I put in my next order with Wendell Fabrics. http://www.wendellfabrics.com/mellotone/

Greg