HELP PLEASE - new Belles have arrived

richieb

Just completed 995 mile roudtrip with Oak/Cane Belles in tow.

Could really use some help or opinions - first couple of CDs just do not sound as I expected, at least comparing to my '76 Cornwalls. Belles are '83 w/AB networks. Not nearly as bright or as full as the Corns. Is this right or just me. Is it possible BOTH tweeters are not working. I having the damnest time trying to tell if they are working. How can I test for this? The Belles are not as clear as the Corns, I noticed that the first ten seconds they played. Also, for speaker with greater sensitivity rating, it takes more volume turn than the Corns. ****, I was not expecting this. Please guys, your thoughts.

I fried a diaphram on some Heresys years ago and was able to do the cardboard test but the tweeter/squaker is placed further apart on the Heresy. Any other way for an all thumbs electrical wizard to test before buying new parts. How much are diaphrans these days?

You should very easily be able to tell if there working it sound like hash coming out with your ear up to them. I can easily hear mine without covering the mid horn. If there working and you can not hear it then you need to get your ears checked. I'm not trying to be rude. But its pretty easy to hear them. Have someone else try.

Craig

----------------

On 3/19/2005 10:31:54 PM richieb wrote:

I fried a diaphram on some Heresys years ago and was able to do the cardboard test but the tweeter/squaker is placed further apart on the Heresy. Any other way for an all thumbs electrical wizard to test before buying new parts. How much are diaphrans these days?

----------------

Richard,

It should be pretty easy to hear if the tweeters are working but if you can't tell for sure, just unhook one of the wires that go to the midrange. Any sound you hear from up top then would be the tweeters.

You can send me an email or PM if you need some diaphragms.

Bob Crites

OK, so I am deaf. Disconnected the squaker wires from the networks. Nothing, nada. Both fried. S..t. As you can well imagine, I am not real happy. Do I order the diphrams from Klipsch? Estimated price. I honestly do not think the seller had a clue. I hate to call and rip him but S..t, 1000 miles and now this. Not how I wanted to settle in for some good listening.

----------------

On 3/19/2005 10:58:17 PM richieb wrote:

OK, so I am deaf. Disconnected the squaker wires from the networks. Nothing, nada. Both fried. S..t. As you can well imagine, I am not real happy. Do I order the diphrams from Klipsch? Estimated price. I honestly do not think the seller had a clue. I hate to call and rip him but S..t, 1000 miles and now this. Not how I wanted to settle in for some good listening.

----------------

I know your feeling. I purchased a set of belles off ebay. 1 tweeter was blown in one and the woofer was blown in the other.

Richard, pull both tweeters out and send them down to bob and let him work his magic on them. you have one of the most beautiful set of belles ever made and at a great price. i paid 2 grand for my 77's last year and i had to send one of my k-55's down to bob to get it fixed. pull the tweeters out of your corns and install them in your belles and enjoy.

----------------

On 3/19/2005 10:44:05 PM BEC wrote:

----------------

On 3/19/2005 10:31:54 PM richieb wrote:

Bob

You have an e-mail. Thanks

----------------

Richard,

It should be pretty easy to hear if the tweeters are working but if you can't tell for sure, just unhook one of the wires that go to the midrange. Any sound you hear from up top then would be the tweeters.

You can send me an email or PM if you need some diaphragms.

Bob Crites

----------------

----------------

On 3/19/2005 10:13:39 PM richieb wrote:

Just completed 995 mile roudtrip with Oak/Cane Belles in tow.

----------------

Congratulations on your new Belles, richieb. Sounds like you have a minor problem, but should easily fix it. The previous owner probably thought that was how Belles sounded and didn't like them! His bad luck, and your good fortune. 2.gif

That could be the case.

Then again, he might have picked them up from somebody or someplace (that had little knowledge of their true value) as a broken and/or defective set of speakers and he quickly turned them over on Ebay for a big payday.

I've heard similar stories by those unfortunate enough to have befallen such a scam.

On the flip side, I've heard of people getting good speakers at average prices too (can't say I've seen all that many good "deals" on heritage speakers on Ebay to be honest with you).

It just seems like the scammers on Ebay have targeted the high-end audio/video buyers and are pulling quite a number of "fast-ones" on them. There was even an article in the Wall Street Journel on this very issue some months ago.

Spending $750 to $2000 plus for Cornwalls on up to Khorns on Ebay, sight unseen and, more importantly--sound UNHEARD--is really taking a gamble.

And if you get burned, what then? Most people just put them back on Ebay and sell them to the next unassuming sucker in order to try and break-even, although they usually wind up eating their original shipping costs. And those shipping costs can be $200 to $400!

I just think it's sort of like throwing darts at a board. Playing a game of darts when the bet is $50 is one thing. Playing a game of darts blindfolded, when the bet is $750 to $2000, is something altogether different.

Still...some people get lucky.