A plea to Klipsh: don't forsake Heritage

DTLongo

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who weren't there last year:

I think the kind of thing Trey is talking about is stuff left lying around. For example, we happened to see a curved cabinet for the new reference premier lying around, stuff like that. We may accidently see some not-yet-announced stuff this year too?

----------------

On 3/23/2005 10:39:22 AM DeanG wrote:

Who are you guys kidding? There probably isn't even a half dozen on this forum who would even remotely consider buying any of it unless it shows up on eBay with a "
Buy it now
" of $1200 or less.

----------------

With all due respect Dean....you've posted this same statement/comment so many times in different threads that it's almost making you sound like broken record.2.gif

And while I think you MIGHT have a valid point, have you ever condsidered the possibility that the folks on this forum ARE NOT the demographic for Heritage? Seriously - think about what that means if that's true. What if us Klipschaholics are not the type of folks that will part with big bucks for new Heritage? Obviously someone out there is buying the new stuff from what Trey & others have hinted at. And what if those folks could care less about spending (wasting??) their time hanging out on a forum chatting it up? Would that not mean that one couldn't use this forums' members as a barometer for potential sales? Personally, I think for every one of us here, there's probably 100+ Klipsch owners enjoying their stuff that could give a rip about hanging out here.

Just a thought - nothing more. 1.gif

Tom

Better to be a broken record than one that snaps, crackles, pops, or just sounds like static hiss -- which is what all the whining around here sounds like sometimes. Hey, markets are determined by where the consumer dollars go, so, no dollars = no market = no Heritage. It's just plain nutty to blame Klipsch, or hold them responsible for any potential related to any possible future demise of the line (regardless of how unlikely). I'd like to see people give Klipsch a fair shake and the benefit of the doubt, because, well -- they are very good people. Enough of the "us vs. them" attitude -- it's getting older than my repetitive posts.:)

There's validity to most of your points, but I'd to point out that most decent processors cost almost as much as a single Klipschorn, and a 7 speaker Reference setup isn't cheap by any stretch. The most active participants on this forum don't seem to have any problem swinging the bucks around. When people as a whole determine they would rather have three Buicks sitting in their driveway as opposed to one Cadillac -- they shouldn't collectively cry foul if the Cadillacs aren't available anymore.

Great thread, until a few directed it to the INDY TRIP, Stay Right Please, avoid the left lane at all costs. I doubt they would lock it, I've said my peace a few times, ie. a trip to Indy and Hope is AGAIN forgotten, what else is new, avoid the Flagship, go where the bucks and market is, cha ching...10.gif

Would love to rewind the clock and have made it to the FIRST and ORIGINAL PILGRIMAGE to HOPE...oh well, actually I give up now, you win KLIPSCH, the Heritage folk can wait from what I have seen, thanks....6.gif

IMHO...10.gif

PS. From what I have seen\read since and before 01, this place was mostly Heritage people, but since the Reference and Promedia, HARD RIGHT and full steam ahead Captain...2.gif

I probably would have bought new, but my issue was access and availability. I bought used because they were within my reach, and a serious bargain to boot.

I was tempted to go the Reference Series route since those were accessible to me, but I am an old school kind of Klipsch guy so I stuck to their original line up. The ones I have been so familiar with over the years, they are more like fine hand made furniture than speakers.

While I do agree with Dean's assessment that many here wouldn't pony up the $$$ for new Heritage, this isn't necessarily the people who would BUY them.

But they could damn sure sell new ones to folks who come here. And you know what? I feel MUCH BETTER being able to send a prospective customer to look at NEW Heritage than to send them to ebay. If I must, I will. But I would rather send them to a Klipsch showroom first and give Klipsch a shot at those $$$. The more people who hear and buy Heritage, the more salespeople you have. If a well-to-do homeowner does buy a pair, his friends and neighbors will probably know about the purchase - hence another potential sale.

Another problem I have noticed when pitching Heritage stuff is the problem of NO NEW speakers being readily available. Many status oriented buyers, for example, want NEW speakers. What typical Lexus buyer buys used? In "status oriented" circles, it's all about the "NEW".....where our forum bunch tends to have more "collector" oriented approaches (where the old is just as desireable).

The issue I have isn't so much related to people not buying new, as it is the Klipsch bashing -- the seemingly prevailing attitude that they are somehow responsible and accountable for the lack of market for them. It's nonsensical to commit expensive resources to a product line that consumers as a whole apparently have no interest in. In a 2-channel post earlier, I said:

"They sell enough to keep it all going, so there isn't much point in adding to their overhead with advertising dollars. People typically want stuff they can easily integrate with their surroundings and decor, which is what made those small Bose systems so popular (it sure as hell wasn't the sound). They make something for everyone, which is pretty cool I think, and the big stuff is still available for the loons if they want it -- so what's the problem?"

What bothers me is the complaining and finger pointing at Klipsch. I want it to stop. It's not right.

On 3/25/2005 9:09:11 AM DeanG wrote: "The issue I have isn't so much related to people not buying new, as it is the Klipsch bashing -- the seemingly prevailing attitude that they are somehow responsible and accountable for the lack of market for them."

To wish Klipsch well while suggesting that they run a small inset of the Klipschorn in their advertising is hardly "bashing." Klipsch is paying for the advertising anyway. To add a small inset box with a legend along the lines of "Home of the legendary Klipschorn" and a small picture of the Khorn would cost only a tiny amount more if even that. But it would keep the image of the Klipschorn before a mass public, most of whom do not know that such a successful, 50-year-old-design yet modern speaker even exists. And that in turn, would burnish Klipsch's image as a "special" company in audio history. It might even sell more new Heritage.

To repeat, does Steinway deny its pianos? Why should Klipsch not flaunt its Klipschorn?

----------------

On 3/25/2005 9:36:19 AM DTLongo wrote:

On 3/25/2005 9:09:11 AM DeanG wrote: "The issue I have isn't so much related to people not buying new, as it is the Klipsch bashing -- the seemingly prevailing attitude that they are somehow responsible and accountable for the lack of market for them."

To wish Klipsch well while suggesting that they run a small inset of the Klipschorn in their advertising is hardly "bashing." Klipsch is paying for the advertising anyway. To add a small inset box with a legend along the lines of "Home of the legendary Klipschorn" and a small picture of the Khorn would cost only a tiny amount more if even that. But it would keep the image of the Klipschorn before a mass public, most of whom do not know that such a successful, 50-year-old-design yet modern speaker even exists. And that in turn, would burnish Klipsch's image as a "special" company in audio history. It might even sell more new Heritage.

To repeat, does Steinway deny its pianos? Why should Klipsch not flaunt its Klipschorn?

----------------

While that may be an easy thing to do, there also people to employ, materials to purchase, equipment to maintain.

Now after I have said all of that - did ANYBODY happen to read what Amy and Trey BOTH took the time to post something with regards to this?

I hardly think that they would both post if the line were going to be discontinued.

Now we can speculate:

Price Reduction

Jubilee

Re-Introduction of Cornwall II

Advertising Campaign, noting both old and new lines,

Upgrade kits at a lower cost

New Speaker using Horns

It's unknown, but they BOTH made a point of posting.

Now, some in this thread have stated that they would buy new.

How about posting some purchase order numbers?

Maybe Dean is sounding like a broken record. Well this record is broken too. The same thought as Dean.

Newbie comes on states that they are going to order new K-Horns, Belles, LaScalas. Faster than one can say Cable Sound Difference the posts start. Try AudiogoN, Ebay, watch the Forum, then spend your money on CDs, Components, Tubes.

I've never understood why the Cornwall IIs were discontinued.

This Forum IS skewed toward Heritage. Ask a person that has posted that were going to buy Synergy. IF they got an answer, or answers, the majority are buy Heritage.

Then you have the tinkerer that add a horn from this Company, another from that Company - they have a Klipsch Cabinet - but how will they portray it - modified K-Horn? It does not meet the K-Horn Patent.

Like putting a Hemi into a GM. No offense - you own it, you like the sound, you feel it's a definite improvement. BUT to the next person...

If a line is going to be continued - note I said a line - it has to be self sustaining in cost vs sales. Continuing the K-Horn as a sort of loss leader would be different.

The K-Horn is THE Speaker with PWK's last name as part of the NAME of the speaker.

Klipsch can advertise until the cows come home - but there have to be ENOUGH buyers to sustain it.

For me, when anyone comes on and states that they are looking for one of the speakers in the Heritage line - save for the Cornwalls - I will encourage the person to purchase new and then to have their friends come over to listen. At the minimum that will give exposure to the Klipsch NAME.

And if a person comes on with a question regarding the line at Best Buy, I will answer that also.

We can recommend Heritage all day long, but some want NEW, they can't afford Heritage, they buy Synergy, it keeps Klipsch going.

So is this thread going to remain at the top until something may be announced or found out in June?

dodger

EDITED: To expand and clarify original Post. ADDING: I can understand updating Crossovers. But in wanting the Klipschorn continued, if you modify with other Company's Drivers or Horns, please hold on to the original KLIPSCH Drivers and Horns so that if put up for sale as KLIPSCHORNS, they will contain the internal parts as provided from the the Factory or From a Factory upgrade Kit.

END EDIT

I agree with dodger...I was one who came here looking to buy Synergy...I got little to no responses at first until I posted something about if the mere mention of Synergy turned you off...then I got responses!...one of the responses about giving Heritage a try...for me it was a reintroduction...I had heard them before and FORGOTTEN! WOW! well, 2 sets of Heresys and a pair of KHorns later...you can see, I went Heritage.

As for tinkering...my KHorns were so buggered up that they needed at least rebuilt crossovers, new woofers, new wiring, replaced components in the bass bin doors as well as 1 new door...the cabinets themselves were not bad...I checked my options...hot rodding, eh, Gil???9.gif2.gif ...I finally decided...with the help of those here, most notably dodger...why not keep your Klipsch, well...KLIPSCH...just a thought from dodger and it was clear to me and it was a thought that had not occurred to me before...buy my parts from Klipsch, give back to the company that is giving me such pleasure aurally 3.gif2.gif9.gif11.gif and my speakers will sing with a new Klipsch voice but it will be Klipsch...for me (that's why I bought Klipsch speakers in the first place!)...no knock on anyone else, just the way I chose to go...the Hemi in the Corvette is a great analogy...great engine, great car...just not a good match for anyone wanting a vintage Chevy or Dodge though "in my opinion"...again, just my opinion for my world, your mileage may vary...I think the Synergy buyers will be happy with their purchase...perhaps it is their foot in the door to other Klipsch products, Heritage, Reference, Pro Media...perhaps it will be the only speakers they will ever own but they too are part of the Klipsch extended family and that family getting bigger and bigger should be as important as whether or not someone stayed with a certain "line" of speakers within that family.

Just my .02.

Bill