Vintage McIntosh and Marantz Gear -- Plentiful Supply Just Down The Road

Gilbert

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Audible that is fine I was thinking an MC 275 but I checked eBay and man to they sell for some serious scratch, daaaaammmmnnnnnnn. I wonder what he wants for one?

The MC 240 is within my reach though. I think it would keep up with an 100W SS since I run primarily in the lower volume ranges anyhow.

Decisions, decisions.

----------------

On 3/26/2005 3:41:45 PM Audible Nectar wrote:

We are (hopefully) working on the 30's for Timmikid (if you recall, he got taken a few months ago - played out right here on the forum) He is in the Netherlands.

I suppose anyone could bid on 'em, but we sort of have a collective project going here in an attempt to score Timmikid his amps.

----------------

FOR TIMMI!!!!...it's MC30's or bust.

Okay, I will ask him for his rock bottom price on the MC30's, especially since it looks like they won't sell on ebay. I shall become, "Super Haggler", my jewish blood is starting to warm up...so look out.

MC30's for Timmikid....REMEMBER THE ALAMO!

----------------

On 3/26/2005 3:04:20 PM Gilbert wrote:

Guy, this fellow also has a model 10. Which he said is the original proto type. And it has serial number 1.

I'll be going over there in a little bit to take another look at the MC60. Heck, I may just bring it home. Anyway, I'll ask him for a price list and we'll take it from there. Let's see what happens.
----------------

I understand they made only a hundred or so Model 10's before fixing a few flaws and bringing out the 10B. I'd love to hear the story about how he came about the first one. I'd rather have a 10B for listening, but the collector in me would love Serial #00001.

"I understand they made only a hundred or so Model 10's before fixing a few flaws and bringing out the 10B."

As I recall (former 10B owner) some part in the Model 10 was very susceptible to magnetic fields which could basically screw up the tuner. It was so bad the soldering irons at Marantz were causing problems just during assembly of the units.

Marantz corrected that to become the 10B and I think they also bought all new soldering irons.

Shawn

that´s the same story I heard about the 10...the 10b is a better unit BUT serial number 1? wowza!

I will leave it to the designated contact to bother this guy If you would be so kind as to check on my wish list; I want to hear about the marantz tuners, the ones with scopes, I suspect that the 10b will be way out of my price range so ask about the others with scopes please. he also may have a marantz reciever with scope, I would love to hear the price of that as well...lastly ask about the mc240s (again the grey ones cannot be 240s as they look like monoblocks)...

that´s all for me,

tony

Well, I got there around 3pm, and he was closed. Sign says Saturdays 9am to 1pm, Rrrattts.

Per Dave, the owner....those two amps with the grey colored transformers are not on 1, but 2 pairs of stereo tube amps, reportedly, Industrial MC240's, by McIntosh.

I will look into the gear. I will provide Dave with a list, and request he fill in the blanks. If we're lucky, he'll produce a itemized price list. I'll know on Monday evening what he'll do, and report back here in the evening.

Guy, thanks for the heads up. That is a very fair price. Do you think this would match better than my Conrad Johnson PV3 tube pre with the 8B? Others here have said they really like the 7T/8B combo butI know you are very familiar with the Marantz line and would like yours, or anybody else's input.

Gilbert, and everybody else, unless he's giving away the 7C pre, it's probably way out of my league price wise so feel free to pursue it, unless he has a really beat "hanger queen" 7c not on that storage rack at a dirt cheap price.

I'm probably just fine with my current setup (the 8B's are at Craigs as we speak) but when I saw this stuff my eyes got really large, would like to find a soul-mate for 8B one of these days.

My two cents. I ran my 7T with my 8B awhile with my Belles, and its a nice combination. However, everything is relative, and the permanent mate to my 8B is my Peach (Belles). My 7T is relegated to RF-7 duty.

But, for the money, the 7T makes a nice match for the 8B.

Carl.

Wow!

I thought I was the only one with one of those Scott tuners! It's a 330-D. It says stereo but it isn't really - the idea was you could get stereo by having an AM station broadcast one channel and an FM station the other. Kind of an evolutionary dead end. It does have a multiplex output though, so if you can track down the little "sidecar" you can get stereo out of it. (Or listen to music on the right and the ball game on the left, if you are so inclined.)

According to legend, in the late 1950's some enterprising individual made a series of faux Marantz faceplates to match the 7-c. I've seen a Scott 350 and 330 in Marantz livery, and the "Marantz Legendary Audio" website has a picuture of a Fisher tuner with a Marantz-style faceplate.

The workmanship is quite good and the finish and typeface match quite well.

I don't know if these came from the Marantz factory or not, but they are quite striking.

The 3300 preamp was well thought of in its day and is a bargain at current prices.

Thanks very much for the feedback Carl. I've talked to the owner on the link Carl gave me and I'm probably going to buy, but holding off until Gilbert posts.

So where's Gilbert? He's probably still at the store trying to get that MC60.

Those pics still astound me. It truly is the motherload, and if you read closely there are six or seven racks of this stuff, not just the two he posted.

Okay, here's the scoop.

David does not want to part with his Marantz gear. The only piece he is currently willing to sell is the 10B. I pulled the 10B out, and it is very nice. It has a little dust build-up, but it is nice. The little bit of chrome it has on it is perfect, not rust that I noted. David further mentioned that the 10B was recently serviced and aligned by some former Marantz big-wig EE from back in the mid 60's. He gave me the EE's name and everything, but I left that info at the office. David knows very well what he has, so it's my opinion that if you saw something you really want, you might be able to talk him into selling, if the price is right.

After almost 2hrs. of conversation, David told me the marantz story in a nut shell. He's a very very interesting guy, and I'm glad I met him. He use to sell McIntosh, Marantz and Klipsch as well as other equipment back in the late 60s and well into the 70's. When he started talking about Paul Klipsch, I though, nah. Then he pulls out a photo with him and Paul having a stiff drink. And tells me a story about Paul loosing one of his engines in a Twin engine plane. David apparenly new Paul and his later Austrian wife pretty darn good. He even told me some stuff about a Pauls son (or brother, I dunno) Fred. It's obvious he doesn't like the direction Fred has led the company. And mentioned that the Hope Factory is reportedly suppose to be closed down. He said everything has virtually be transfered to Indy.

It is apparent the this gentleman is well connected. He is writing a book about Marantz. He mentioned some big wig engineer (Saguerro, or something like that), who provided him the Model 10. And told me the whole story about it's development and all that stuff. Very very interesting, I only wish I didn't have to go back to work.

Anyway, David did not mention anything about not selling the Mcintosh gear, so I'd assume it's available. If you interested in the Marantz 10B, call David and work out price with him.

If I can be of further assistance to anyone, please PM me.

no news about the mc240?

the 10b IS a special piece! it was designed by Dick Sequerra and Sid Smith, mr. smith was a legendary desginer who produced the marantz models 2, 5, 8, 8b, 9, 10b, 15, 7C and 7T....wow!

regards, tony

"David further mentioned that the 10B was recently serviced and aligned by some former Marantz big-wig EE from back in the mid 60's. He gave me the EE's name and everything"

If anyone is seriously considering the 10B check into this first. Almost everything I ever read from Marantz on the 10B basically said the unit should *never* be aligned outside of the original factory alignment. They were built not to drift and to not need later alignment.

Marantz apparently did the alignment in some special oven unit and then went out of their way to hide the alignment so others couldn't screw them up.

I think one guy (maybe Dick Sequerra) has that oven and can do realignment if it is really needed. As far as I know the 10B I had had never been realigned and it tuned in stations fantastically and sounded great. *Very* cool tuner. Keep in mind one of the main tubes it uses (6JK6) is fairly rare and fairly expensive... the tuner uses like 9 of these.... 21 tubes total not including the CRT.

They sometimes have problems with opticouplers which it uses for muting and stereo/mono operation. I don't know if they are still available but there was a guy on ebay a few years ago selling reproduction opticouplers for the 10B. I had picked up a set 'just in case' from him. If you get one needing repair you will need to find someone that knows the 10B... I wouldn't trust it to the average rebuilder who has never seen one before in his life. The wiring of one of these isn't for the faint of heart....

DSCN2560.jpg

DSCN2561.jpg

Shawn