Heresy *New* or Heresy *HWO*?

JBlake377

Ok, I have a dilemma, albeit a good dilemma. I have a local dealer that has promised me a 2005 Pair of Heresy's for 850, unopened in Mahogany. While I also am looking at an HWO for 550 in great condition.

Would that $300 difference be more than worth it? I would be taking a chance on the HWO seeing as how I am going to buy it off of ebay.

I have a pair of 79 Cornwalls (CWO) so the HWO would match it a bit better.

If it was ya'll, which would you choose.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

Well, just to make sure you are comparing apples to apples, for the actual cost, add in sales tax for the new ones and about $60 shipping for the Ebay HWO's.

One thing I've learned from bad experience on Ebay. Unless the seller has got the original styro and cartons you'll have at least one corner dinged in shipping. You can take that to the bank. People have no idea how to back the d*** things.

I have not priced new ones in a while, but that sounds like a fair price. I think there is a some value in knowing they brand new and that you are the first person to listen to them. Not to mention that every scratch you put on them will be yours and yours alone. That carries a lot of value in my mind. If you could see the ebay ones in person and pick them up that is a different story. Then again for 800 you can probably score a really nice pair of used Chorus if you are not married to heresy for some reason like mating with other speakers or size issues.

----------------

On 4/14/2005 2:52:03 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

I would not have Heresies shipped. They are too heavy and WILL BE DAMAGED. Period. If you can personally inspect, hear, and transport them, I'd got for the savings and heritage of the older units. Otherwise, buy new and be proud!

Michael

----------------

Very well said

My personal experiance. I have had shipped to me:

3 Academies...one damaged

2 Heresies...no damage

That is 5 seperate speakers about the same size weight and one damaged. I don't think you can say they WILL be damaged. You have to assess the risk you are willing to take. I worked for UPS for 8 years. Packages get damaged daily...but a very, very small percentage. That said if it is yours that gets beat up it stings.

Just an idea that might help...

I do not know if you are using UPS etc or having them freighted and the packaging attached to a pallet...

You might double boxing them, the outer box allowing for about 4 insches of space on each surface with the space filled tightly with either carpet padding or some other relatively dense material.

The other ideal material would be to fill the void between the boxes with foam (slip the inner box into a big 'garbage bag'(or other plastic) and set another larger 'garbage bag' into the outer box to hold the foam), which you might be able to locate at any industrial shipper who might do it either because they think it is novel to ship a speaker and that you have the nerve to inquire (hey, it works!), or inquire at a shipping materials supply house for a list of customers who might accomodate you for a few bucks (or more likely free).

This has worked great for sensitive 22" CAD monitors and other sensitve gear, including the bigger Velo HGS18 & DD subs. And while the outer boxes almost always arrive dinged and with at least one puncture, the inner box and contents have been fine.

Good luck!

Apologies to the shipping services for the above comment, but Heresy speakers are BOTH heavy AND bulky, which just about guarantees that somewhere along the process, THEY WILL BE DROPPED. Unless packed extraordinarily well, this will damage them. The above mentioned double boxing with SOLID FOAM would be the only acceptable method. Peanuts should never be used with heavy items such as speakers or receivers, because the heavy item will quickly shift and settle to the bottom edge of the box and be destroyed by the first mishandling.

I've seen these boxes tumble through the conveyor systems of various frieght handling outfits. Also seen the way drivers pitch stuff around their trucks. You must pretend that the box WILL TAKE A THREE FOOT FALL onto a concrete slab, if the packaging can withstand that, be my guest....

Michael

Well...New Heresy IIs...(good will you get from dealer)check, Mahogany...drooool, beautiful!, check...brand new so you KNOW there will be no problems...check, No shipping so you KNOW there will be no surprizes, check...

If Heresy or Heresy IIs not a problem...go new!

(or tell us what dealer offered you that sweet deal!)

Bill

Depending upon the mfg date of the Heresys, you might be looking at caulking the horns, replacing crossover caps, and adding P-traps to get the smoothest response. You should not have to mess with the Heresy IIs. And in mahogany, they will look great!

If you will not be using the Heresys IIs with the Cornwalls in the same system, the slight difference in timbre match won't matter anyway.

JBlake377-give me the name of your dealer-new Heresy II's for $850 is a steal. Our local Ultimate Electronics (now bankrupt) charged $1100 + tax for Heresy II's and they were only a special order item! At that price I'd buy a whole Heresy II surround system!