RS7's Surrounds WOW!!

IndyKlipschFan

1st some background:

I have RS7's as rear surrounds used with the Aragon Stage One and 2007 gear upstairs. I had tried three different speakers back there with K horns up front and a older vertical Cornwall II (now on its side as a center channel which I still love with k horns.) You can copy and paste and see it in my avatar to the left.

I did the required height as well as I could, but they were spread out behind me and up high on 9 ft walls. I also had it only in 5.1 sound with the RSW 15 sub as well. I had them turned up as well a little more than normal to compensate.

Part II:

My couch is approx some 12" or so out from the windows behind it, (because of air vents in the floors) and a need to hear 7.1 movies and no side walls, or WAF to do this, Was impossible. I recently was able to locate another pair of RS7's and put them inside the floor vents just a tad on the floor behind the couch firing up behind me now..(hope your able to follow this) So Now I have 2 on the floor behind the couch firing up.. and 2 on the wall behind me up above spread out but higher than the K horns up front. Whew...

Part III

OMG, incredible, fantastic, I now have a depth behind me I never could hear before. The key was the RS7's just have incredible dynamics, spl's, and great frequency range too. By throwing the sound up and over you (in my case) it seems to me like they are somewhere behind me not directly known when a door opens behind me on my right seemingly like 10 feet back or so, it now feels 10 feet back.

So for you HT enthusiasts with your couches close to a back wall with no depth? You may want to try this trick out too. I am very impressed and tickeled to death!

I wonder if anyone else has tried this too?

Congrats! I always thought 4 RS-7's would be a killer surround set-up.

I'll bet most people have the same issue -- the couch being too close to the back wall for good back-surround layout. I'm glad to hear your improvization worked so well for you.

I have a hard time understanding how one could like the sound that comes out of those sound sprayers no matter how good they are. Ewwwwwww! That echoey sound would drive me bonkers.

I'll stick with my vertical Cornwall II's in that position even though I don't have room for them behind my couch. When I purchase a home I will make sure I have a room for the correct layout of the speakers. Sorry, but I don't believe in compromises, I'm sticking with all Heritage speakers. No one could make me believe that an RS-7 could outperform a Cornwall.

I wouldn't use a RS7 with cornwalls but that is only because of the differences in tonality; to some it is no issue. I love the "sound sprayer" comments; it seems to ignore the reality that home theater uses a mix of direct and indirect sound to achieve its purpose. Your "direct" speakers are relying on electronic signals to "spray" the sound (using both delay and echo) while those with purpose-designed surrounds need not rely on the electronics to do the work (because the speaker provides both direct and indirect sound) to achieve the same effect. Of course, I have what I believe to be the best surrounds Klipsch ever made - which are the S6's. It would be nice if they produced the RS7's in the same physical configuration.

The KSP-S6's that I have(not using now) sounded great high on the rear wall too, even though it would seem that they would shoot the sound directly overhead. They added nice effects that were very worthwhile to me, even with music.

I took them down because they were not needed in my room for great HT sound and because their presence seemed to cross the line between the normal abode look and sound studio. I can't imagine anyone needing or wanting a room full of big old ugly speakers cluttering up their living space.

Keith

I have a similar situation with our coach (up against the wall). I am using RS-7's on the walls for the surround speakers but I decided to drop a couple speakers I had on the floor behind the coach and it did make a big differance in the depth of the movies. I didnt have a pair of RS-7's laying around so I am using some Boston CR-7's that I robbed from our bedroom and replaced them with some old Boston HD-5's that were spair speakers.

Anyway, yes I have tried it, and it works very well.

Congrats on this improvement, I know I enjoy the enhanced surround experiance.

Glad to hear some of you have had the same results! I re checked and it is actually maybe 10- 10 1/2 inches. The RS7's are about 9 1/2 inches deep on their backs.

While I do agree a All heritage system also rocks. I can't wait for my Real HT dedicated room to be done this summer. Heck, so does the THX sytem as well the 650's and new Subs I have heard in a HT setup as well as at the Klipsch weekend last year.

What I was trying to point out in the thread was a common solution to a problem a lot of people IMO have. And great to hear a lot of you also that have tried it also agree!

----------------

On 4/20/2005 4:40:01 PM SteelerFan wrote:

I'm just happy to hear the poor old RS-7 get some love. It seems they are becoming the red headed step-child of the reference line.

----------------

I agree it seems that way. I posted more than once before buying mine asking questions about surrounds and it seems no-one cared about the RS-7's.

I'll be glad to give the rs7's some praise.I've never heard this "echo" or "sound sprayer" effect.The rs7's do their job very well,just as intended.If you hear something from the rs7s you don't like you may check your gear/setup/room cause its not the rs7s.

----------------

On 4/21/2005 7:48:57 AM Fish wrote:

I'll be glad to give the rs7's some praise.I've never heard this "echo" or "sound sprayer" effect.The rs7's do their job very well,just as intended.If you hear something from the rs7s you don't like you may check your gear/setup/room cause its not the rs7s.

----------------

Good post...

Sound sprayer defines all speakers...hehehe

RS type speakers do what they were designed to do...play surround from movies.....

----------------

On 4/20/2005 5:13:06 PM foxman wrote:

----------------

On 4/20/2005 3:40:27 PM iwillwalk wrote:

hey foxman is that you on your avater?

----------------

Uhhh no.

But I did sleep at a Holiday inn express last night

9.gif

----------------

Did you save 15% on your car insurance?

2.gif

I have posted on several threads about the luck I have had with my RS-3's WDST. They are in my bedroom, on the side walls near the corners of a square room. They are at the head of the bed so we can watch movies and have GREAT surround sound, while laying down.

When I am up doing stuff at the other end of the room I am usually listening to DVD-A/SACD's and one of the horns on each speaker points to the listening position and has great clarity of sound--No "spray" to my ears.

My RS-7's sit directly on top of my RF-3's in my main theater and are used as side surrounds WITH the RF-3's on movies and sound INCREDIBLE (my Denon allows me to use both). However, for music in this room I use only the RF-3 towers as surrounds.

On 4/20/2005 4:40:01 PM SteelerFan wrote:

I'm just happy to hear the poor old RS-7 get some love. It seems they are becoming the red headed step-child of the reference line.

Thats a shame, because I will beg to differ on that opinion. These are incredible surrounds. Just ask anyone with a full reference system, if he / she thinks thier RS7's rock. Picky, care to chime in here too? If I had three walls in the back (sides and back) placement would have been easier. I have heard this set up so many times it is just wonderful! Add the fact SPL, frequency response and dynamics are great, you get a terrific surround to match to Klipsch reference any day. I can't imagine anyone with a reference anything looking any farther to beat this to match their set ups!