Thinking about unloading my K-Horns

rockbobmel

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I missed this info, but what upstream components are you using? with those babies in corners you should be hearing great bass. These are great rock and roll speakers BUT they are very sensitive to having the right amp, preamp and source. I love my k-horns with rock, they are better than any speakers I have ever had (and that is dozens!) for rock and roll. before losing all that value by selling them cheap whyu not evaluate the rest of the system, you could even consider the investment in a subwoofer for extra deep bass and slam. regards, tony

p.s. forgive if this was all covered in the past but I have to think something is wrong with the k-horns...

rockbobmel,

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your K'Horns...having just gotten mine back together and up and running with all new components and the AK-4 kit (basically original cabinets with new guts) I have to say the amount of bass I am getting is unbelieveable...Mine are in corners but my room isn't perfect with a closet kind of smack dab in the middle but WOW...I hope you find what you're looking for.

Good luck,

Bill

(PS...Diana Krall is singing "Almost Blue" and it sounds like she and the band are right in my living room.)

The KLF 30s and RF7s are great speakers but I have not heard a pair of Khorns in a long time. Switching would gain some placement options, was that one of your issues? If this is the hardest decision you have to make now, I would say your doing pretty well. Good luck and hope your happy with what ever way you go.

• 1 month later...

I found a pair of Cornwalls for $550. What the hell am I gonna do?. Buy them, THEN sell my K-Horns?

That comprises the least amount of risk.

You could re-sell either easily. But if you're certain about unloading the KHorns, they take up a lot of room so maybe you should do it anyway. Doesn't sound like you're happy with 'em.

I got my KHorns hooked-up 6 days ago and I couldn't be happier myself!

'I found a pair of Cornwalls for $550. What the hell am I gonna do?. Buy them, THEN sell my K-Horns?'

yup, thats EXACTLY what you should do. The Cornwalls will be much easier to position, you can A/B them to see if the Corns are more to your liking. At $550, you can't go wrong, can always resell the Corns if you don't dare for them.

I'd sell the Khorns as the very last move.

Michael

Have you considered maybe trying the Khorns with a nice tube amp?? Maybe a tube integrated like a second hand CJ CAV50 or Rogue Tempest?? Tou could even try a Jolida 102b for only $549 brand new just to get a feel of what tubes sound like with the Khorns, then you could always upgrade to something better if you like the sound of tubes??? I think youll be much happyier with you Khorns driven by a good tube amp.

----------------

On 5/29/2005 11:27:53 PM edwinr wrote:

Bob? What about a new a new pair of Heresys. Match them with an RSW15 subwoofer. Forget the old stuff.

----------------

I thought of that. I went from ForteIIs to K-Horns. Wouldn't Heresys be a step backward? I am using a Velodyne ULD 15---Old but good.

----------------

On 5/29/2005 11:38:13 PM imperfectcircle25 wrote:

Have you considered maybe trying the Khorns with a nice tube amp?? Maybe a tube integrated like a second hand CJ CAV50 or Rogue Tempest?? Tou could even try a Jolida 102b for only $549 brand new just to get a feel of what tubes sound like with the Khorns, then you could always upgrade to something better if you like the sound of tubes??? I think youll be much happyier with you Khorns driven by a good tube amp.

----------------

Yeah, I just got a Fisher X-100 integrated amp, and it sounds great. Maybe a little smoother than the Arcam P25/Rotel pre. But the Arcam is a very revealing amp. Very tight and crisp.