OT: How NOT to launch a boat

Tom Adams

Holy moley, Tom! What on earth happened?? Did he forget that the road ended??? That guy hit HARD - it looks like it bent the front winch bracket down FLAT (those are thick and strong!) I don't see if he had transom straps on there - I would think they'd be dangling even if they broke. Boaters should NEVER trailer without transom tie downs - those thick nylon straps probably would have prevented the boat from coming loose.

----------------

On 4/29/2005 9:31:10 AM Cleve wrote:

Boaters should NEVER trailer without transom tie downs - those thick nylon straps probably would have prevented the boat from coming loose.

----------------

Yeah, the picture sure proves the point. They are lucky that the bow didn't go right through the rear cab window.

Colterphoto should feel pretty good about this screw up?

(He forgot the parking break at my house in the driveway, down the hill the Honda went 2 trees later! it stopped. hahahaha)

The trees lived, we paid for the shrubs and to have the neighbors grass back to normal.

ROTFL, Indy. In a past life I had a step-son who wanted the car moved so he could play basketball in the driveway (typical suburban subdivision with the short concrete driveway sloping to the street and one just like it on the other side.) He was about nine at the time. I found out about it when, instead of asking me to move the car, he came into he house and said "Um, the Saturn is in the middle of the street." Apparently he got it out of gear but then could't reach the brake. Luckily the steering wheel was locked straight, since the way he tells the story the car rolled backwards out of my driveway, up the neighbor's across the street, back across the road and up our driveway, back down and across the street . . . it took a couple cycles to get it stopped.

He was pretty embarrassed, but I eased that by telling him about the time I put my dad's car in the garage. It would have been good if I had opened the garage door first.

Kids are fun. 9.gif

When you were young and your heart was an open book,

You used to say live and let live.

(You know you did, you know you did, you know you did.)

But if this ever changing world in which we live in,

Makes you give in and cry...

Say live and let die.

(Live and let die.)

Live and let die.

(Live and let die.)

What does it matter to you?

When you got a job to do you gotta do it well.

You've got to give the other fella hell.

You used to say live and let live.

(You know you did, you know you did, you know you did.)

But if this ever changing world in which we live in

Makes you give in and cry,

Say live and let die.

(Live and let die.)

Live and let die.

(Live and let die.)

"SECRITT AJINT!! ON WHO'S SIDE??!!!"

OK....from the horse's mouth.

Mark said he was on his way to the lake for a glorius day of bass fishin'. It was early and the fog was real bad (strike one). Mark said he was going a different route on a road he'd never been on (strike two). Mark didn't say how fast he was going, but did say he was driving like normal. So to me that means he was doing somewhere between bat-outta-hell and Mach 1.0 (strike three). The road he was on T'd into another. Mark claims there was no warning of a "STOP" and once he saw the "STOP" sign through the fog it was all over.

Yes - he had rear tie-downs and a bow tie-down (the winch strap was loose which is how a lot of folks trailer). The impact slightly bent the frame of the truck and bent the forward portion of the boat trailer. In fact, Mark said that when they managed to get the boat back on the trailer, one frame rail broke! The boat hull is cracked in several places, but the engine recieved no damage. His trailer has brakes but Mark said they hadn't been working properly, so they were disconnected. Personally, had the brakes been operational, those four disc's might have prevented the boat from launching itself.

I know it looks amazing, but when you've got 3000 pounds of boat with 50 gallons of fuel sitting on 1500 pounds worth of trailer travelling at speed, you've got a helluva lot of potential energy. And I agree, he's lucky to be alive. Mark said it was pretty obvious that the tailgate and the toolbox combined to make the boat rise up over the cab. Mark believes in airbags.

BTW....yo Colter....what's this about your Honda having a skirmish with some trees? You musta just plain forgot to tell us about that. And here all along we thought you were buying another Honda because you liked their cars so much and to help out the economy!11.gif3.gif1.gif

Tom

----------------

On 4/30/2005 3:19:53 PM Tom Adams wrote:

I know it looks amazing, but when you've got 3000 pounds of boat with 50 gallons of fuel sitting on 1500 pounds worth of trailer travelling at speed, you've got a helluva lot of potential energy.

----------------

i think that's kinetic energy, isn't it? 1.gif

----------------

On <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />
4/30/2005
2:52:51 PM
r.cherry wrote: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

"... the insurance co. isn't going to like that one bit."

----------------

While traveling by car with two bicycles (tires pointing skyward) attached to a roof rack, the whole rack came loose. The rack and the bikes slid down the rear window and came to rest on the rear deck lid, scratching the finish in several places.

The insurance adjuster started to indicate that it was a collision between two vehicles (bike and car) and, therefore, he felt it wasn't covered. To which I replied, what if I'd had a boat on the rack, would you call it a collision between a car and a boat? I was able to slap some sense into him. They paid for the bodywork on the car.

It's an adjusters nature to try to deny everything; many people will just roll over and go away.

wonder how many points that's worth, on his equifax score, my dad was an HFEO- heavy fire equipment operater, for the CDF an when he had a D9 on the transport, that sucker was chained down, an when he put a little box,in a pickup, that sucker was chained down,slap that chump for me ,i've been around the sun 45 times, an if that was tied down, i'd only believe it, in the police report, the officer looking back at them speaks volumes