I feel violated, but I feel lucky...It could of been worse.

No Disc

Wednesday afternoon my home along with others in my neighborhood were burglarized. They made off with a bunch of my computer gear, monitors, digital camera, dvd player and my Sony SCD-777es SACD player.

As crappy as I feel about the intrusion and loss, I count myself lucky they didn't ransack the place and didn't touch my computer (no backup), and all my Klipsch speakers and tube audio gear. They also didn't kill my dog who was in the same room as where they stole most of the stuff from. My dog is not aggressive anyway.

My home didn't have an alarm system, but that will be corrected soon. The wife and I both feel that whomever did this knew what they were seeking because other items were not touched and many rooms between the entry point and where the stuff was taken was not touched.

One of lifes lessons.

Tim ( "No Disc" <- How ironic is that)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I know haw you feel, about 10 years ago we has some neighborhood kids break into our house and our next door neighbors house. they only took small stuff and didn't bother with some expencive jewlery. they did make off with sokme stereo gear and even went into my dresser and took three pairs of jean shorts.

We had an alarm but the wife forgot to set it that day. after that we did get oursevles a dog (rotweiler) I would have not wanted to come across her if she didn't know you. She was a very loving dog to us tho. I really do miss her, spent many years in training with her. We got her a TD title and was working to the TDX title (TD=Tracking Dog) (TDX=Tracking Dog Excellent)

Check out the local pawn shops for your gear. If you find it then the police might be able to track them down.

Good luck and again sorry to hear of your lose.

Steve

I'm sorry about the loss. What kind of dog? I know that, despite their great size, Newfie's will likely wag their tail at burglars.

And also, don't get complacent - Not trying to scare you, but the burglars may well be back. If it's one or two men, they can only grab so much at one time. Because they took certain items doesn't mean they didn't make a mental inventory of the rest of the house's contents.

Best of luck

One Saturday A.M. we got a call from a neighbor asking my wife if she'd lost her drivers license....which, of course she hadn't. We errantly left the garage door open and her car was broken into (while we were all at home). They took her purse, medical equipment and cell phone. Before leaving the area they took what they wanted from the purse and left the balance deposited on the streets. All was recovered from it less 1 credit card which we cancelled and was never used. The medical bag just showed up this week about 30 miles west of us. The cell phone....gone. Curious this undercurrent in society. These guys should feel lucky to not have entered the home. The Mrs packs a 9mm and is damn good with the silly thing (she's a home RN and is in a lot of odd places and so carries protection).

Man, that is a bummer. Make sure they didn't take any mail or bills. A common thing to do is identity fraud after they hit you. Yes get an alarm and go over everything around the outside of the house. Add dead bolts to the doors if you don't have them, double locks on the windows etc. They may show back up in a month or two, after what they took was replaced to hit you again.

Also happened to me about 10 years ago, jewelery and the like. Makes you feel very vulnerable. Was robbed at gunpoint about 25 years ago in a liquor store I owned in very nice part of town. Now, that doesn't make you feel vulnerable, it makes you check to see if you crapped yourself. Having someone pull a .357 from their pocket when you are expecting to see a wallet is a real eye-opener. Yes, that pair of underwear was disgarded.

I know how you feel, last year around this same time my house got broken into. I used to live with my parents near toronto (I was 17 then), parents were on vacation and I was out with friends. I cameback around 10pm and when I put my key in the door lock, it fell out and my mouth just dropped. Inside was totally wrecked, they didn't take any of my dad's electronics or computers, but what they did take was somewhere around $400 that I have been saving to buy a pair of speakers and an amp eventually. I've learnt my lesson to never leave valuable stuff in my desk, its been a year and with university and residence fees I'm still on my way to getting my first pair of Klipsch and a good amp. Hopefully this summer! 9.gif Its going to be so sweet when I get to hear it.

Tim,

I hate to hear that.

You are right it could have been worse.

This is a sad reminder to have plenty of pictures of all your stuff so it will be easier to deal with the insurance company.

I need to take pictures myself and this was a wake up call. I know I have over 1,500 CD's, but I really don't have anyway to prove it.

Again sorry to hear about the break in.

Danny

----------------

On 4/29/2005 9:05:57 AM No Disc wrote:

----------------

They didn't steal your sense of humor.

Saw your post about it at AA. Do you have any idea what they stole from the other homes? I think it's remarkable that they took your Sony. I didn't think thieves bothered with CD players anymore, since they are so inexpensive. Sure, yours looks like quality, but it seems like they had to know in advance it was valuable, otherwise they wouldn't have lugged off a heavy piece of equipment like that if they could only get $10-$20 for it, or whatever normal hot CD players bring.

Thanks for the tips. We are already planning much of what you suggested.

Tim

----------------

On 4/29/2005 9:46:41 AM Cal Blacksmith wrote:

Man, that is a bummer. Make sure they didn't take any mail or bills. A common thing to do is identity fraud after they hit you. Yes get an alarm and go over everything around the outside of the house. Add dead bolts to the doors if you don't have them, double locks on the windows etc. They may show back up in a month or two, after what they took was replaced to hit you again.

----------------

Bear is a Siberian Huskey, not big but considered a large breed. He's old and gentle as a lamb.

Police already warned us that sometimes they come back. Wife is working from home until we get security in place.

Tim

----------------

On 4/29/2005 9:24:45 AM Cleve wrote:

I'm sorry about the loss. What kind of dog? I know that, despite their great size, Newfie's will likely wag their tail at burglars.

And also, don't get complacent - Not trying to scare you, but the burglars may well be back. If it's one or two men, they can only grab so much at one time. Because they took certain items doesn't mean they didn't make a mental inventory of the rest of the house's contents.

Best of luck

----------------

• Moderators

Sorry about your losses, No Disc.

I had my car stolen about 10 years ago on the north side of Indianapolis. They found it 3 days later on the east side with no engine in it. And me with only collision insurance.

They left me my crappy radio, though. Nice guys.

They took similar items from the other home too. I definitely looks like it was the same person(s).

I believe the person was semi-technical otherwise they would not of taken the things that they did. Comcast High Speed Internet (CHSI )repair was out at my place a few weeks ago. I was not home, but the wife was. My wife, despite my wishes, left the guy alone while he did his thing. I'm sure he had ample time to take notes, written or otherwise. I know that CHSI uses contractors and I have no idea what the screening process is.

Tim

----------------

On 4/29/2005 11:15:34 AM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 4/29/2005 9:05:57 AM No Disc wrote:

----------------

They didn't steal your sense of humor.

Saw your post about it at AA. Do you have any idea what they stole from the other homes? I think it's remarkable that they took your Sony. I didn't think thieves bothered with CD players anymore, since they are so inexpensive. Sure, yours looks like quality, but it seems like they had to know in advance it was valuable, otherwise they wouldn't have lugged off a heavy piece of equipment like that if they could only get $10-$20 for it, or whatever normal hot CD players bring.

----------------