The Sad Truth about Tsunami Aid

Parrot

This is a column discussing how much of the intended aid is languishing on the docks rather than getting through to the victims, and about how Canada, although pledging $425 million in aid, has coughed up only $50,000. Canada made the big promise, got all the good publicity, but didn't follow through. Kind of like someone telling you, I really was planning to give you the most incredible present, but some things came up; here's a card instead.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/steyn/cst-edt-steyn15.html

I remember George Harrison after his successful concert for the people in flooded Bangladesh back in the 70's. He was on a TV show like Merv Griffen or something lamenting about how he wished they could just drop the food into the people. Its never that simple. Look at what the UN did with the food for oil. The full scope of it may never come to justice. Its really disgusting.

The best skit and commentary I have ever seen on charity is when some guy asked Harpo Marx for ten cents for a cup of coffee and of course Harpo pulled out a steaming cup of coffee out of his coat.

Canada's contribution to tsunami relief is objectively useless and rhetorically fraudulent.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gee maybe all the Canadians that rip on us for not revering the UN and the "Crown" ought to get on a letter writing campaign to their leadership and save some face.

I love the phrase "rheorically fraudulent" it does not leave much room for interpretation.

Thanks

Parrot

Unfortunalty like most disasters the affected have to succeed by helping each other.

Logistics is the worst in the developing world.

Sam Kenneson (God rest his soul) said...

Do not send the starving people in Africa food; send them trucks so they can move to where the food is!

You're right clue,when I give I give with the knowledge the needy will be lucky to get a small %,but still they need it.I would like to see more accountability all the way around though,for the sake of those who need it most.

How about the Governments in Indonesia?

The political situation in that part of the world is very problematic - and very corrupt. So corrupt that little of the aid that has been sent to thier shores has reached the people.

USAID personnel have reported that they were not allowed out of certain specific areas when they arrived to deliver aid. In Banda Aceh, a civil war was occurring at the time of the Tsunami - as the Government slaughtered those part of the separatist movement. That conflict still exists. That government seeks to control who gets the aid.....and in most cases, the aid goes nowhere past the dock.

Most countries have sent less than they pledged, because most of the aid is sitting on docks in Indonesia doing nothing. The Indonesian government has restricted access (to hide the human rights violations), therefore the aid sits. Many governments have quit sending more aid until these governments do something with the massive amounts of goods alrady sitting on thier shores.

Disheartening, for sure. But please don't let that jade you from having a desire to help in the future. Those people needed the help, and many behind the scenes in aid organizations are still trying. But the political situation in that part of the world is very complicated and corrupt - and likely a situation that could not be ultimately be solved without boots on the ground - boots on the ground that the Indonesian government will not allow.

There's MUCH more to this than meets the eye.

The title could be change to the sad truth about U.S. aid to 9/11 victims families. It carries to the point of the Extra Security measures developed and put in place.

It also carries to the extra Security for large events.

As one of the biggest jokes, most believe that the person passing you through the Metal Scanner is a sworn Officer. In my County they are paid Civilians.

When the color alerts were in place each time the threat was raised, days off were canceled, wherever Auxiliary Police are use, they were called out, Special training all of that was a portion of a packagae to be paid for on the Federal Level. If any monies were received it was only a tenth of what was said to be coming.

Additional Officers, EMS Teams, Airport Drills, Bomb Sniffing dogs.

I live near the Canadian Border. With all of the Identification I have within a couple of years, Passports will be required.

So it doesn't surprise me about the. If given, it sits and collects interest or goes for something else, or highly paid overseers.

The biggest problem is that Joe Citizen will read the articles, say what good am I doing and not give.