Where to move and why?

Well, I'm in the same part of the state that charlieboy is, and my take is that whether or not CA is the best state there is depends a lot on where in CA you are. The part we're in is no great shakes. Mrs. Olorin and I also plan to leave here at some point, just haven't decided where or when. TN in ten years is high on the list.

In 1987 Paul Harvey said Fayetteville, Arkansas was the best place to live in the entire U.S. I remember that because I was considering a move there that year, but ended up in Atlanta. Now, I've got two daughters there at the University of Arkansas.

Not to be a pessimist, but I wouldn't pick Indiana. Too backwards, we're finally going to DST after debating the benefits for years, only our governor won't send the Feds a preferred time zone for a base. It's EASY, we want more evening hours in daylight. We tear down perfectly goods sports arenas so we can build new ones with more box suites for the rich, paid for with tax dollars. Education is a joke, football fields everywhere but music and art classes being dropped by the wayside.

I lived out in the country about an hour from Indy on a family farm- had 130 acres, only the hillbilly zoning board let my Amish neighbors build a buggy shop run by a diesel motor! So much for peace and quiet and fresh air. Moved back to city only to have them double our already outrageous property taxes.

otoh, cost of living is inexpensive in the midwest and land/homes are a great value compared to the rest of the nation. We get a complete change of beautiful seasons, soil is fantastic so anything will grow here.

If it weren't for family history here, I'd probably move South, maybe Tennessee, Georgia, or North Carolina.

Michael

----------------

On 6/5/2005 8:22:09 AM Daddy Dee wrote:

In 1987 Paul Harvey said Fayetteville, Arkansas was the best place to live in the entire U.S. I remember that because I was considering a move there that year, but ended up in Atlanta. Now, I've got two daughters there at the University of Arkansas.

----------------

I almost hate Atlanta, and we drive to Mableton (West side) every week for church.

So Cal is a horrible place to live. Don't come here. Who in their right mind would want to go to the beach and hit the slopes

the same day? Not to mention we have no change of seasons. We average 300 sunny days a year. Yuck, stay away, it sucks!

----------------

On 6/4/2005 10:36:41 AM Marvel wrote:

Parts of North Georgia are nice. Lower part of Appalachians. Fairly temperate climate and lower cost of living than California. Houses go from $60k up. You can get a nice house for $130K, as long as it isn't in Atlanta.

Marvel

----------------

130k wouldn't get you much in the Portland area these days. Nor a very good neighborhood. 8.gif

----------------

On 6/5/2005 12:51:41 PM Piranha wrote:

So Cal is a horrible place to live. Don't come here. Who in their right mind would want to go to the beach and hit the slopes

the same day? Not to mention we have no change of seasons. We average 300 sunny days a year. Yuck, stay away, it sucks!

----------------

I agree with Tom when people ask me if I miss the seasons living in So Cal? My standard answer is no that is why I watch the news! I dont miss a thing.

----------------

On 6/6/2005 12:03:01 AM sputnik wrote:

----------------

On 6/5/2005 11:02:55 PM Thumpelstiltskin wrote:

I'm moving to Montana, soon.

Gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Rick.

----------------

Or was that mennil-toss flykune?

----------------

Hey Sputnik,

I don't care, as long as I get to ride a pygmy pony named Mighty Little.......that'd have to be cool.

By the way, what's it like where you're living?

Rick.

----------------

On 6/6/2005 12:16:06 AM Thumpelstiltskin wrote:

Hey Sputnik,

I don't care, as long as I get to ride a pygmy pony named Mighty Little.......that'd have to be cool.

By the way, what's it like where you're living?

Rick.

----------------

Hi Rick,

I've lived here for twenty five years and still, other than the southern coast of Oregon or a few places in western Canada, I can't think a place I'd rather live but I don't know for how much longer. The winters can be long and cold but the summers are great. Best skiing I've ever known. Lots to do outside - climbing, kayaking, fishing, etc., etc.. Unfortunately, I think that we're seeing too much growth.

Bozeman is changing so fast for the worse. People now move here to get away from something but it's turning into what they left behind. Real estate is going crazy. They are building at a pace I've never seen. A small bungalow in town can go for over $400,000 and there is virtually nothing less than $200,000. When I first moved here these houses went begging for $20k to $30k. There is a private millioniares-only (honestly) ski area. It's just not like Montana around here any more. People used to wave on the highway as they passed (you can still see that in northern and eastern Montana) now they barely have enough time to put down the cell phone to flip you off. People buy up their five acres of paradise and put up no trespassing signs. Crime is up. There are still alot of great people here but the average residence time for someone moving here now is less than two years. It's sort of mixed for me - I moved here too 25 years ago so I can't complain too much. When I travel I am still glad to come home here. It still feels like where I grew up. I don't want to sound too negative, it's not as nice as it used to be but I still love it.

I'm originally from Glenwood Springs, Colorado (about 40 miles north of Aspen). It was a great place but also grew very quickly and just wasn't like home anymore. I went to college in Golden (near Denver) and that is still a great town - it still feels small but is close to all that Denver has to offer (good and bad). I lived in Boise and that was also a very nice area. I've also lived in Salt Lake City and Tucson before their big booms. These are all great places to live but have also seen tremendous growth at the expense of some of their charm. The hearts of some cities are eternal though, I'd love to live in Manhatten or San Francisco or Rome for a year. And one more city to mention, Juneau is in the most beautiful setting of any city I've ever seen.

----------------

On 6/5/2005 11:46:46 AM Marvel wrote:

----------------

On 6/5/2005 8:22:09 AM Daddy Dee wrote:

----------------

I almost hate Atlanta, and we drive to Mableton (West side) every week for church.

----------------

Marvel,

I had two sojourns in Atlanta... '77 to '81 and then from '87 to '92. Enjoyed the first one more as a single guy and then newlywed. Second time back with kids had family concerns and didn't enjoy the city as much. Interesting place and cool in lots of ways. For me, though, haven't missed it since leaving.

Being an Air Force brat, Ive gotten to live and visit lots of places in the USofA. And quite honestly, I dont know that there IS a great place to live. I mean, its only great if its great FOR YOU. Ive lived in coastal areas all my life and due to my love of the water and boating, it suits me just fine. OTOH, a passion Ive had since I was 12 is motorcycles and, for me, the mountains are where its at. Not just for the thrilling twisty roads, but the scenery and fresh air. But I know for a fact that if I lived in North Georgia or the hills of North Carolina or near the Rockies (man.what awesome roads in that place!), Id probably envy folks that lived on the coast.

I dunno.maybe the best advice is try to find a place that is conducive to the types of extracurricular hobbies you have, yet allows you to earn a decent wage without having to dump most of your hard earned money into just living. Ive often told forks that Richmond Hill, GA isnt the perfect place to live, but it strikes a good blend. Cost of living is reasonable; my job is pretty secure & pays well; schools are good; crime is almost non-existent; I can boat almost 6 months out of the year; I can ride my motorcycle almost 11 months out of the year; and if I draw a 4 hour driving arc, I can be anywhere from Myrtle Beach to Atlanta to Orlando.

Of course, you could make your decision scientifically by just throwing a dart at the map.2.gif

Good luck!1.gif

Tom

the Upper Ottawa Valley is pretty cool - some great music too - lots of lakes, rivers, trees - not too many people - interesting history and classic small town architecture - four real seasons - not too expensive - close enough to the cities if you need something - and no tornadoes - I was in the one in Edmonton on July 31, 1987 that killed 29 people - force 6 - just the odd earthquake here - just a little shake now and then - nothing like - oh where's that place? California? Anytime you want to drop in and check it out, let me know. Take care. Hamish

When VanderBilt decided to build his ultimate mansion (Biltmore) he commissioned a group of experts to find the best place in the country to live. No extreme weather conditions were allowed. They came up with Asheville, NC. I've been there, it is nice.