Bad 70's recordings - Great Music, but...

D-MAN

There were more than a few very good recordings in the 70s but many, many were absolutely horrid. Yes, Close To The Edge was very good while Yessongs (live album) was about as bad as you can get. Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick was pretty darn good for the most part but Aqualung was just horrible. I could go on and on.

There are many I just won't listen to expect on CD in my car. The albums are just taking up space in my house. They'll never see daylight again. Strange how you didn't really notice when they first came out.10.gif

Can I just nominate debbie boones "you light up my life" as a song I do not ever need to hear again, ever!!! My sis had it on 45, played it like 100 times a day, and it was on the charts forever too.

45 was a like a 7 inch disc made out of plastic with a needle that when moved in the groves..... Oh forget it. I am old ..hahahaha

(Thinking some kids have no idea what a 45 is.. is kinda funny!!)

----------------

On 6/10/2005 9:39:11 AM Piranha wrote:

Windowpane was more accessible in the 70's

----------------

LOL!!!!!! I just fell out of my chair on that one!

Also, I agree on this 70 recordings thing....I was just listening to Aerosmith's "Rocks", remasterd, and was disappointed in the bass.

OTOH, there were some good 70s recordings...Thick As A Brick has already been mentioned. Listening to the CD remaster on the Corns was a religious experience. Paul Simon's "Live Rhymin' is a luminous recording. Roy Haley (sp?) is a gifted engineer who is resposible for much of the S&G sound, like the "crashes" on "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and the electric xylophone on "Cecila".

Remember Chick Corea and Return to Forever's "Romantic Warrior"? That was an album (aside from Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon") that I remember being demoed in the stereo stores way back when.

{edit} also David Gates of Bread fame solo album "Clouds" and Art Garfunkles "Angel Claire".

A number of things contributed. Poor quality vinyl.

Radio Stations starting to play songs a bit fast as in the '50s.

Commpresser-Limiters.

Poorer pay for Engineers.

After some of the marathon recording sessions of the '60s, limits were imposed.

Eight Tracks, Cassettes, heading to CDs

Drugs or excessive drinking

Quality of Amplifiers - Tubed or Solid State - notably for bass plus the guitars themselves hit a low period.

Advent of Electronic Keyboards.

But there were some good recordings. One point about "Let It Be" is there are two versions. The most noticeable difference is the Guitar solo - one heavy with reverb, one more "Claptonish."

On some of the CD releases of those LPs, one can have quite some time searching for the high end also - Layla comes to mind.

"Days of Future Passed" On the American pressing, the bass sounds like its being played by a sedated Brotosaurus. (OK, Apatosaurus)

A lot of the Classical recordings of the era are pretty uninspiring, too. The head guys at many of the record companies - after checking with their mothers to make sure - decided that everybody listened on really cheap record players, nobody cared about sound quality, and everything should be mixed to sound good through a pair of 6" x 9" speakers. In practice, this meant no serious low end, no real treble, and lots of compression.

----------------

On 6/10/2005 10:29:21 AM boom3 wrote:

OTOH, there were some good 70s recordings...Thick As A Brick has already been mentioned. Listening to the CD remaster on the Corns was a religious experience. Paul Simon's "Live Rhymin' is a luminous recording. Roy Haley (sp?) is a gifted engineer who is resposible for much of the S&G sound, like the "crashes" on "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and the electric xylophone on "Cecila".

----------------

I bought a sealed MFSL LP of Thick As A Brick thinking if it could be better then the original, I've GOT to hear it. Just amazing! You'd be shocked to hear some of the instruments and voices/harmonizing you can't hear on the original.

Windowpane did help. Especially with old Pink Floyd and some of those Grateful Dead jam sessions.10.gif4.gif9.gif

----------------

On 6/10/2005 8:20:51 PM Shade wrote:

This is techically early 80's, but anyone here listen to ZZ Top?

I was listening to Eliminator last night, and while I love the album, the recording quality is terrible. CD isn't any better.

----------------

If you like zztop get the six pack,the quality of these recordings is very good.

To my ears, the 50's and early sixties were a kind of golden age for pop music recordings. I think in the mid-sixties there was a two-headed monster that took a major toll on sound quality -multi-track, and bad solid-state recording equipment.

It is funny though, like what's been said about how it all sounded better back then. How true! I remember thinking that "Fly Like An Eagle" by the Steve Miller Band, and "Hasten Down The Wind" by Linda Ronstadt sounded great at the time. Now they sound pretty common. I wouldn't call'em bad, really; just not too good.

In part, jheis wrote:

Does anyone remember the Brian Auger, Julie Driscoll & the Trinity album "Streetnoise." One of my favorites "in the day." Tried to buy a remastered CD a a month or so ago, but everyone who claimed to have it in stock later claimed it was back ordered - after they took my money.

Hey James,

I really liked the Streetnoise album by Julie Driscoll and the Brian Auger Trinity (pre-Oblivion Express) at the time. I've been thinking about it lately, as I lost my copy in the early 1970's and wondering how it would sound now. It was my first exposure to Miles Davis' "All Blues" and a later recording of Auger's Oblivion Express featured a version of Eddie Harris' Freedom Jazz Dance. Pretty hip for a bunch of English rockers! Let me know if you ever track down a copy of Streetnoise and I'll do the same.

The 1970's had its problems, but some of the late 1960's stuff was badly recorded, too. The Byrds were probably my favorite band of all time and I played their records until they were worn out. So when the Byrds CD box set by Columbia came out in the early 90's I bought it. Man, that was one crappy CD transfer! Some of it, including Eight Miles High, is so badly re-mastered that it is pretty much unlistenable. The more recent Byrds reissues sound better but stlll not how I remember them! Did the vinyl sound better or were my unschooled ears less critical?

Best in horns,

triceratops

Yeah Tom..

the later GFR albums certainly didn't have the bass of the earlier albums like the "red" one.."Paranoid" comes to mind..when Mel hits those bass notes, it rattles the springs on Don's snare..pretty cool sound! And this in my (temporarily) bass-shy room! "Inside Looking Out" was no slouch in the bass department either!

Steve