Goodbye to good people---but why??

I see Erik Manderville has decided to depart, but I know not the reasons why. None-the-less, I do recall him getting abunch of flack on some recent threads. It is unfortunate.

Much more disappointing to me is the fact that Allan Songer has apparently been told to go away. I understand this is because Trey Cannon felt his responses to Parrot were inappropriate. My observation was different: my perception was that paul loeber went out of his way to taunt (troll) Mr. Songer at every opportunity. Initially Mr. Songer would take the bait and respond, then he got better at ignoring it, yet the "Parrot droppings" not only continued, but they seemed to increase. Mr. Songer, like you or I, responded.

A while ago, perhaps even a year ago, I remember a posting by Deang in a thread was Mr. Parrot was engaging in "keyboard rage", where Deang said, in essence, "in person you are a nice guy, but you are way out of line here . . " or something similar. Since that time I have paid more attention to different postings, and particularly those where Mr. Songer was posting. Not infrequently parrot would show up . . . but his comments were not generally instructive in those threads; in other threads, yes, but not in most where he interjected himself and started taunting Mr. Songer. YMMV

Personally I understand Mr. Songer's frustration with being heckled on a consistent basis. I even think that his euphemism for the parrot was not out of line, and perhaps even mild, especially given the circumstances. Granted, one may say they should have taken it to PM, but a public retort to public trolling does not offend my sensibilities.

Will I stick around? Who knows, who cares, but the issue remains: Why are the good ones leaving here?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Much more disappointing to me is the fact that Allan Songer has apparently been told to go away. I understand this is because Trey Cannon felt his responses to Parrot were inappropriate."

Do you think Mr. Cannon and Mr. Parrot are related?

I'm outta here for the summer. Too much to do and I need a break from this place. I've not really been too offended by anyone, and if I disagree a lot, I won't respond. Been watching the same thing happen on the Lansing Heritage forums. Some nice folks just get walked on.

I've lots of projects that aren't getting done because I'm sitting here typing. I'll have a peek at the boards now and then though, and if anyone want to write, let it be an email. Catch ya'll on the flip side of summer. (I just hope I don't miss too much!)

Marvel

Very well said Patrick.

If it makes Paul feel any better, MANY, MANY forum members have emailed Amy and Trey on Allan's behalf. His comments were definitely out of line, which he realizes, but in his own words, "It was worth it!"

When members get bounced, there has always been a valid reason in my experience. You may not be aware of it, but it was there. In many cases, there have been warnings of one kind or another. In such instances, it is best to support the moderators and keep a healthy tone on the forum.

Bill

Well said St. Patrick. As a newbie here I was baited and ridiculed by Parrot. He seems to relish the role of busting people up with his 1000s of posts arrogance. This board no doubt suffers from participation and new entries when folks of his kind are not held in check. Though I love my collection of Klipsch speakers and would like to share in that community I hesitate to because of the likes of Parrot.

That is too bad about Allan. I have always considered him a great asset to this forum.

Remember what this place was like before Amy took over!!! This has bee going on here for as long as I have been here.....

There have been times that I have taken a vacation from this forum... There is a reason I never became a kindergarten teacher.

JM

----------------

On 6/13/2005 8:08:50 PM Marvel wrote:

I'm outta here for the summer. Too much to do and I need a break from this place. I've not really been too offended by anyone, and if I disagree a lot, I won't respond. Been watching the same thing happen on the Lansing Heritage forums. Some nice folks just get walked on.

I've lots of projects that aren't getting done because I'm sitting here typing. I'll have a peek at the boards now and then though, and if anyone want to write, let it be an email. Catch ya'll on the flip side of summer. (I just hope I don't miss too much!)

Marvel

----------------

Godspeed Marvel. I'm gonna try and enjoy the outdoors a little myself this year.

"Though I love my collection of Klipsch speakers and would like to share in that community I hesitate to because of the likes of Parrot."

Surely Amy and Trey didn't see it your way.

BTW, I have over 1000 post and I still get baited by Mr. Parrot. 12.gif.

• Moderators

It is important to remember that if you are being baited, be a smart fish and not take the bait.

It is VERY VERY VERY difficult to ban someone who is guilty of baiting. It's very vague, and easily defendable.

I know what Parrot does, and he's watched. He knows this.

However, many people here defend him as well.

The situation with Allan was and is very regrettable. He had been warned, and blatently ignored the warnings with the latest attacks that included very rude language. That cannot be tolerated under any circumstances.

It's not as though he is banished forever. We will take up the issue again.

You have to understand Trey and my job is not an easy one. There are a lot of conflicts of personality on this board, as any board with a loyal following. It's a side-effect of having a great community where people want to come back.

We're doing the best we can. I hope it doesn't appear that we are showing favoritism. We are doing what we can to stick to the rules of the forum.

Marvel--you will be missed, as will Erik.

You have to understand Trey and my job is not an easy one. There are a lot of conflicts of personality on this board, as any board with a loyal following. It's a side-effect of having a great community where people want to come back.

-----

I like Paul. I think he adds alot (if you read his comments in the right mood, anyway!), so I hope what I say next isn't taken as an attack against him:

The "baiters" (baitors?) are FAR more detrimental to developing a "great community where people want to come back" than the occasional member who stands up for him or herself. As noted above, they keep the newbies away.

----------------

On 6/13/2005 9:27:01 PM Amy Unger wrote:

We're doing the best we can. I hope it doesn't appear that we are showing favoritism. We are doing what we can to stick to the rules of the forum.

----------------

In my humble opinion, baiting is just as offensive as the foul language. For every post with foul language, I could show you 20+ acts of baiting. Sometimes it comes to the point where a person just won't take it anymore. Both should be banned. If not, it's showing favoritism. All of the baits may not have all been on the same day or in the same thread, but they're there and they accumulate.

You know I love you Amy but you and Trey are June and Ward Clever while Paul plays Eddie Haskel. Wally and the Beev just couldn't take Eddie's crap anymore.

• Moderators

Ok, if anyone continues to bait and it is proven that they are indeed baiting, they will be removed from the forum.

This is very difficult to "police," as I've stated before. A "baiting" comment to one person can seem totally harmless to another. It's all in how well the guilty party knows what "gets to" the other person. Trust me, I've gone round and round trying to nab people guilty of this. It IS NOT easy.

Like I said, we'll do what we can.

Thanks,

June

On a more general note, I also have a problem with the very active role played by the moderators. You DO have a hard job. But that is because there are no clearly articulated standards regarding forum conduct. As a result, a number of very entertaining and, arguably, informative posts get knocked off. This includes topics about politics (sometimes), religion (sometimes), current events (sometimes), push pull (sometimes), and SET (usually). Get it? I understand that Klipsch is providing the forum, it is Klipsch's right to do what it wants to do, and Klipsch has an image to maintain.

Of course, those arguments, while valid, ignore the reality that the members are also a tremendous asset to Klipsch by way of free publicity and market research. Again, it is a dificult job. Due to the variety of issues discussed and people involved, there can be no clear standards governing forum conduct. I also happen to think that, outside of conduct that makes the average member raise an eyebrow, there shouldn't be. We use you, you use us...everyone's happy.

Sorry. I'm just not an "It's ok; you're great; keep up the goos work; I love you and appreciate you" kind of guy. It IS a tough job.