Unhappy with RF-7's

----------------

On 6/22/2005 4:03:19 AM DeanG wrote:

I'm annoyed. I've compared RF-7's to some awfully expensive stuff, and it's a
strain
to find anything that keeps up with them.

Better living through chemistry.

----------------

Dean and I agree. Price is not all that important when selecting speakers. Design theory used by the engineers, materials used (to a point), and the most critical issue, voicing, will make speakers have a unique sound. But price is what I would worry about dead last, in finding new speakers. Dean is even more a a purist than I am, so it shows you that I'm willing to wallow in the audio gutter....9.gif

I have the same problem with my rf5's.

I have them for two years know and i am verry unhappy with them as they always sound verry harsh and there is no bass at all.I first played them with my harman kardon avr5000 and i tought the h/k was the problem so i bbought a nad t163 preamp and sunfire cinema grand 2x225 watts poweramp. well i can tell you it was a waste of money. there is no differance att all with the second expensier setup it still sounds harsh and no bass.

I am verry verry UNHAPPY!

mike from Belgium,

You room's acoustics needs attention. Work with (change) placement of your speakers, relection points and bass traps. New speakers will not fix your problem. The Rf-5s are excellent speakers when given a chance to perform.

Bill

----------------

On 6/22/2005 11:49:01 AM meuge wrote:

----------------

On 6/22/2005 10:45:26 AM LarryC wrote:

I've never outrun the musical and sonic qualities of my Klipsch's by getting better amplifiers. They only make my speakers sound better. Skonopa nailed it with his "synergy" description.

Larry

----------------

I have a measly set of RF-3IIs and I haven't outrun their ability to improve with better amplification either.

I just got a B&K EX4420 200WPC amp and my $500 speakers sound even larger, more palpable and alive.

I dream of the day when I can walk in to see a pair of RF-7s... but alas - that day is not going to be soon, since I can allow myself only small upgrades for now.

----------------

Me too. I slipped my new B&K ref 200.5 in with my RF3-IIS and they are worlds better.

please send the offending RF-7s / RF5s post haste to my home in Richmond, VA for an emegancy audition. (send me an e-mail and I'll provide for pick-up...I'll even pay the freight)

If upon my inspection, I find the speakers to be in anyway substandard, I will gladly step up and provide a token monetary remedy that you will then be able to apply towards new speakers of your choice while I take up the issue directly with Klipsch in your stead.

Hi Mike,

Is your listening room very well dampened, by that I mean rugs or carpet on the floor or lots of fabric covered furniture or acoustical ceiling tile? It makes a difference for me from one heavily damped room to the next. The room itself and the furnishings will play a big role in the sound of these things, I have rf7's.

Option two would be the going the tube amp or preamp route which I've read a lot about on this forum.

BoomTang! These RF-7's are great! I'm a lovin mine every sec i have a listen.

Dude, it's very detailed, listen to more expensive speaks and you will be back

to RF-7. If you no want them, let us take a collection up here and buy them from

you and send them to DeanG for reunite back for his favorite speaker! BoomTang!

• 2 weeks later...

imperfectcircle25 - Sorry it's taken me this long to see your message, I've not been in here since I finally got my 2nd pair of RF-7's in. Took the dealer quite a long time getting them in than we thought but his regular rep was out on vacation. I think you might have something about the British sound, I had a long listen at the dealer's with Rotel's top of the line setup and I was impressed. I'm thinking about it! Only reason I gave them a listen is the research I did, the reviews and users reviews have been very positive. I hear maybe half % to 1% difference in the Rotel vs. the Mark Levinson in very faint detail but the Rotel has an overall balance that comes together very nicely that I'm leaning towards. Right before my Dad retired, he upgraded his Stereo 2-channel and passed the ML's to me, he got a great deal on them, his best pal he grew up with owned his own hi-fi store, now sold and retired too.

How are the RF-7's coming along for you? Any better?

• Like 1

I tamed my 7's with $3000 worth of British gear and a $150 bbe processor. $5000 and change and I'll bet my system sounds better than 90% of the audio systems out there. My room isn't bright, but I also didn't have to invest boocoo $$ on acoustical panels and voodoo.

I did notice one remarkable change in sound though. I bi-wired the 7's with monster fancy shmancy xp speaker wire and could hear NO diff. I then bi-wired with Home Depot 12 gauge wire (Carol Speakerflex - 20 cents a foot) and then the kicker... I bit the bullet and installed Rat Shack speaker connectors (the push in the hole type) and I kid you not, all of a sudden I'm hearing better separation. It seemed the left speaker was always quieter, now both sides are equal in sound, if you get what I'm saying. So, say what you want about bi-wiring, I definately hear a difference... but only after bumping up to 12 gauge wire.

----------------

On 7/14/2005 11:38:45 AM DeanG wrote:

I tamed my 7's with $3000 worth of British gear and a $150 bbe processor.

Nice to know I've saved my customers $2850.00

----------------

Yep, PLUS the amps and source of course. 2.gif

I was going to say that Dean, but I didn't want to burst JPM's bubble. I was going to say that 10% of that put into a network upgrade would have yielded similar or better results. Did you get those 13uf Audiocap Theta's in yet?

P.S. I love a/d/s speakers! Not the ones currently being produced by DEI Electronics though. I think the Sat 7's are similar to the L300E or L400E's with a subwoofer they are outstanding! The L980 is about the size of a Heresy and it sounds incredible such a smooth and crisp sounding speaker. The only ads's I own now are in the doors of my car.