Unhappy with RF-7's

Wow, what a shame and waste. I really don't see how you couldn't be happy with them. Are you sure you are running the right gear with them?

I'm very happy with my RF-7's, infact I'm waiting for my second pair to come in, I'm very pleased with the stunning results I get with the RF-7.

Sorry to hear you aren't happy with yours, just don't see how you have come to this conclusion unless your equipment is stopping you from what the RF-7's can really do.

• Like 1

Dylanl - Just because you prefer your Khorns and Altec19 over the RF-7, doesn't mean

you have to try and make fun of the RF-7's all the time. The RF-7's are great

speakers and don't deserve your turn-up nose because many of us REALLY like the RF-7.

6.gif14.gif

I agrees, no speaker is perfect but darn if Klipsch doesn't make some fine musically

involving speakers, be's it Heritage, Legend, or Reference.

Dude, sorry to hear your not likin the RF-7's. Very happy with mines. 9.gif

I'm the only honest Heritage owner in bunch. The RF-7's kick arse. I'll have to spend another $1100 to get the top of my Klipschorns sounding as clean as the RF-7's I was running. Personally, I've just about decided most of you are half deaf. Get those bad boys into some corners, toe them in, and they'll give a set of a K-horns a good run in the soundstaging department. Add a RSW-15, mod the network -- and you're DONE. The Klipschorn obviously sucks -- you have to go into tweak and mod hell for a year to get them sounding right. Any speaker that needs that much work to sound good deserves to be cut up with a chainsaw.

imperfectcircle25, I would take a look at your equipment as the culprit. I was in the same situation as you, when I first installed my RF-7's.

I had to end up spending more money to upgrade my equipment, every thing, and the results were a drastic fantastic change. The mids do not lack, they are full, forward, rich, smooth, creamy, detailed, inviting, and involving. To get the best from the RF-7's, you have to give it best quality or you won't get results as mentioned. I agree, once you hear what the RF-7's can really do, there will be no parting with them.

The investment I made in equipment was well worth what I get back from the RF-7's and now I own 3 pair of RF-7's. I use it for 2-channel music only, and the results are nothing short of astounding, nothing twice it's price can match what the RF-7's give you. Any time I sit down and have a listen to my RF-7's, I am still stunned by their sound quality and the separates used with it. The RF-7's will not be the limitation in the system, but the system will limit the RF-7's!

I can relate to some of what DeanG said, I used to own Klipschorn's but with much debate in my mind to sell them or not to sell them. I realized I was listening to my RF-7's more and more and not the Klipschorn's, I actually started to prefer the RF-7's over my Klipschorn's but I've gotten flamed for saying that from some Heritage users, but to each her/his own, it's all in the beholder's ear. I sold my Klipschorn's and now only have RF-7's. I've been very pleased and satisfied with the results.

Most people have never heard just how well a set of RF-7's can sound properly setup. Pity dealers aren't setting these up well for listeners to gasp, shocked, and stunned for what they can do to you, when well equipped.

Good Luck either way you go imperfectcircle25!

The RF-7s sound their best with an amp that can drive the minimum impedance of 2.8 ohms.

I get a few chucles from DeanG's comments. Both the Klipschorn and the RF-7 have a significant learning curve that needs to be dealt with if you want the most from your speakers. It sounds like Dean had the RF-7s just where he wanted them, but the Khorns never got there. It could not have had anything to do with the small room without corners that had his corner horns in.11.gif

Bill

Ok, thanks for all the replys, Ill try and keep this short and sweet. Yes I did trade up from RF-3's. The RF-7 just seem to be to foward and bright for me compared to the RF-3's, also something seems to missing in the midrange I donno if its lacking a little warmth maybe which is causing the lack of musicality?? As for the equipment being the culprit, I doubt it since im using very good stuff, but to make sure I did borrow a few differant amps from my local dealer and tried them out to give the RF-7s a fair chance. As for musical taste, I listen to a wide variety of rock from the Beatles to Metalica and everything in between. As for Neat and Epos being esoteric or obscure, I donno about that they are pretty well know brands and will cost me around $1500-2000 on the used market which isnt that much more than the RF-7's, the Living Voice maybe not so popular in the US. I think that hearing these higher end, more expensive speakers maybe let me hear what I was missing with the Klipsch's?? Im not in any way putting down Klipsch I owned and still have a pair of RF-3's which I really liked and served me well for years, they are one of the best budget speakers Ive heard for rock music. I think that maybe the RF-7's are more of a HT speaker, and what I need is a stricly music speaker which may be why I found the speakers like Epos and Neat to be much more musically enjoyable, they specialize in 2ch music only. As for the term musically involving I think its pretty self explanitory, to me it means that the speaker or system keeps you interested in listening to your music and makes you wanna get up and dance or nod ur head to the music, unlike some systems that you listen to a few song and dont wanna listen any longer. Well I hope I answered everyones questions, if i missed any let me know. Im gonna give them a little more time before i decide for sure to sell them, I think maybe ill try them with tubes again, I really wanna like them, they sure as hell can rock loud and clear. Happy Listening

Frank

I do think the Klipsch sound is a love/hate thing, i just though since I liked the R-3's I would like the RF-7's too. So I bought them without really hearing them for a extended period of time which now I think may have been a mistake. But hey you live, you learn..:) Hopefully ill find a second hand pair of neats for a really good price and i can get back to enjoying the music which is what its all about anyways!

Happy Listening

Frank

Hey Frank,

Whatever floats your boat......I used to have Polk the model which is highly regarded by the Polkies over on their forum. You could not pay me to take a set of Polks off your hands.

Havent heard any of what you mention except I've seen Epos for sale online. I've heard Rf7's work very well with tubes but on the other hand have heard they mate well with high powered Rotel. I bought them having only heard them powered with a reciever and my imagination soars to think what else would work.

I'm just sittin' here taking my time trying to decide what to do but for now the Rf7's are being temporarily powered by a 125 watt Sonographe. With classical music at louder volumes the bass pounds, violins sing and I could not be happier.....for now.

Enjoy the music.......10.gif

Before you boot them out the door, you should give me a shot at them. I'm convinced you won't sell them after hear the result.

Man, I really expected a good beating from the Heritage crowd after that last post. Yeesh, what's it take to get you guys riled up these days? I hope everyone knows I was just kidding about the Klipschorn, but you do have to work with them a little to get the best out them. Mine are kicking out some great sound now, and I could live with them forever like this. It really is an apples and oranges thing, and thankfully I like both apples and oranges quite a bit. I do wish I still had the RF-7's, because they do a couple of things the K-horns can't.

Dean, If you rolled back his high end, he would probably love the RF-7s. It is creating fatigue most likely. I really think Klipsch needs to get a handle on this, meaning that a flat response is not always the best.....

Still, in side by side comparisons of the AB variety (the least scientific) I ALWAYS choose Klipsch if I can control the bass and treble. Once tweaked a tad, they outperform $10,000pr speakers. Like I have said before, many of the "big names" in speakers just don't offer any more performance.

Seriously Dean, you should offer a second crossover option for guys who want the horns tamed by about 5 db. This would really warm up the RF-7 and make it a $8,000 speaker!

Dean, please get to work, and let us know when you have a second option......I'm quite sure you have quite a few testers on these boards who will give them a try and give feedback.

I guess you havent seen the response plots from the Sound & Vision Review. The RF-7 is anything but flat. Just like ALL Klipsch speakers -- smooth response takes a back seat to sensitivity. The HF response is always a bit rough.

I hear that, Dean.

Klipsch is known for a lot of things, but linear response is not one of them.9.gif

I don't know this for a fact, but I have always thought that perhaps the Klipsch designs were voiced closer to the response of the average human ear.

?????

Hmmm

I wonder.

Never investigated it, though.

Regards,

Johnny music

Imperfect, I am using a Rotel RB-1090amp and RC-1090pre, RCD-1072 CDplayer and Rotel goes very well with Klipsch. It gives the slightly warmness without any bright or harsh sound. Maybe you can talk to your dealer and see if you can get a Rotel RB-1080 setup and see how that works out for you? It would be worth a try and I don't see how you couldn't be happy with that sound combo!

I love mine. The music gets so involving that my sister and I get up and dance and sing to it as if we are there, really fun. Never had a speaker that got me that involved with the music! If you heard mine, you would love the sound!

Thats the second time someone reccomended the Rotel, Maybe Ill give it a shot. I cant see how it would be any better except power wise then my setup, the Exposure is a step or two up from Rotel. I am going to keep the RF-7's for a little longer and try them with a few more amps and cd players to see if I can find a combination that works for me. I think the problem may just be that I have finnaly heard some of the more hi-end stuff this year and may just be hearing what i have been missing with the Klipsch's??? I donno, but I really do want to like these speakers, they rock like no other speaker Ive heard even at triple the price.