What's your AVR

S2KDDS

Two Denon stereo recievers, one a 12 year old 45 watt model and a year old #685 100 watter. Really the background is dead quiet with bass midrange and treble galore.

I hooked up a 125 watt external amp to the #685 and the pre in the Denon is weird. Now the bass is set to about zero and the treble has to be almost on maximum to make the RF7"s sound decent. If the tone controls are defeated the speakers sound like a heavy comforter has been draped over them.14.gif

Arcam AVR-300. Lots of power, and far and away the most musical reciever you can buy, IMO. Power-wise it even drove my RF-7s admirably for two weeks before I got my stereo amp to take the heat off.

As for Yamaha; I didn't listen to the pundits, I had my own (last years model) and it was indeed much too bright for my tastes. I had a less than ideal room, and it was an entry level ($400-500) reciever, so I'm not saying their new highend stuff is bad, but I can attest that Yammys being bright is not just an old cliche.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Scott

• Moderators

Yamaha rxv 730 $500

At the time about 1.5 years ago I could only compare side by side with denon and liked yamaha much better plus where i bought it they double the warranty for free.

• Like 1

This is a cool post. I hope it doesn't get into mines better than yours thread. I think it's great to see what everyone is using. By the way ottscay you da man with arcam. I always wanted one of them. OH and I forgot everyone MINE IS BETTER than yours. 9.gif

I use a Yamaha RXV 3300. For HT use I love it, it is great, the DSP's are excellent. For 2 Channel it rates somewhere between adequate to good, as most receivers do. For 2 channel listening nothing beats or compares to a good set of separates. IMO the bright Yamaha sound is very overstated. Yes some of their older units did have a hashy harsh sound. But their new stuff is pretty first rate equipment. Trying to determine what AVR is best for you by using someone elses recommendation is not a good approach. First demo equals, set up equally. Often times retailer will try to push one thing or another and give a better source component demonstrate it. Your ears have to tell you what you like. I am happy with my RXV 3300 you may not like it. Dont let any of the, would be, pundits sway you from what you honestly like. Also remember unless you demo it in your system in your dwelling it will sound different when you get it home. If you demo outside you home try to get the retailer to set things up as close to you setting as possible at a minimum make them use your very source components and speakers.

of course, it is just my opinion, but the only avr i ever owned or listened to extensivly, that did not give me either ear bleeds (yammie) or listener fatigue is the b&k avr 507, it is known as an analytical piece, to me in my experience this means it takes every single note and places it at your feet, and in a very pleasing way without coloration, or personal styling, plus the non current limiting design just makes movies and dynamic sequences in music really explosive, it is a fine piece, i even chose it over a variety of seperates

Thanks Wheelman! I know there are lots of good highend AVRs out there, but I'm really sweet on the Arcam, especially for music listening (2 channel or NEO:6 surround). Also, if you want to go 6.1 or 7.1, the Dolby PLIIx implimentation is fantastic. Very little loss of directionality with far greater sound immersion. I've heard really good things about the B&K AVRs too. I read suprisingly little about the Pioneer Elites (good or bad), although I know some people on the forum are delighted with theirs.

I want to get an Arcam dvd player to go with it, but I think I'll wait until one of the high-def formats wins out before investing that much in a player.

I use a Denon AVR3801 for all of my processing and to drive my center and surrounds. I love this little bugger but I wish it had better video specs, but then again at the time I bought it it was right up there. The La Scala's are driven with an Onkyo M504 dual mono block amp.

scooter

colterphoto1 I will have to disagree, I spent alot of time trying to find the difference between the rxv1400 and my htr-5790. I even emailed yamaha. the only difference is the appearance was my response. Ive read almost everything from totally different to just more stringent testing of the rxv. Alot of people have alot of opinions on the differences and they all have their reasons. I fell into this(not wanting to be inferior in that respect) but I am one of those abusers of the best buy return policy and had acquired enough credit there to pay for half of the 5790. money talks. Ah crap now Im gonna investigate this more.

local shop has a dsp-1a I think, used for 900 Ive been thinking about anyone delt with this?

I think its the same deal, only the dsp model is used in europe and the case is different than the rz.

What Is The Difference Between The RX-V Line And The HTR Line?

There are many similarities between these two product lines. The RX-V line and the HTR line are produced in the same Yamaha factory using high quality parts throughout. The RX-V and equivalent HTR models have the same warranty periods, the same manufacturer's suggested retail price, similar features, and similar remote control units.

There is a cosmetic difference found on the front panels of these two lines. The RX-V line maintains the traditional white colored lettering normally found on most Yamaha components, while the HTR line provides a slightly different approach. Yamaha has created a new look by using gold colored lettering in selected areas on the HTR receiver series. However, both the RX-V line and the HTR line feature high quality front panel construction.

The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz.

The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales, phone sales, or internet sales.

The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail, by phone, or at authorized internet retailers.

All transactions must be done through the authorized Yamaha dealer network. Any purchase made from an unauthorized dealer/retailer voids the Yamaha manufacturer's warranty.