I liked speaker A. It had a much more full sound than speaker B. B had great detail in the upper frequency range, but there was something not quite to my taste, and it seemed to be at around 2 kHz and below in the lower mid range frequencies.

Speaker A needed some equalization, but overall I felt that A's shortcomings would be an easy fix, and that with a few tweeks could be an incredible speaker. While B sounded very good like it is, I picked A.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about this some more. Was anyone else relieved with what they heard during the listening test? I've not done blind A/B tests before, so this was my first chance to confirm to myself that I can indeed hear the differences in different systems. I've read things that state humans do not have very good sonic memory, so going from one person's house to another will befuddle what you hear.

----------------

On 7/8/2005 11:49:43 AM damonrpayne wrote:

I thought about this some more. Was anyone else
relieved
with what they heard during the listening test? I've not done blind A/B tests before, so this was my first chance to confirm to myself that I can indeed hear the differences in different systems. I've read things that state humans do not have very good sonic memory, so going from one person's house to another will befuddle what you hear.
----------------

I say you need to A/B the gear if you really want to recognize and understand the difference in the sound. This is a must when doing speaker mods.

I've been fooled by a few speakers over the years. I'll hear a speaker somewhere and think that it sounds rather good. Then I'll take it home and put it next to a Klipschorn, LaScala, or one or two of my other speakers that I like. With in minutes I say to myself. " You were fooled again."

----------------

On 7/8/2005 3:30:12 PM scriven wrote:

Since you are listing to the room as much as the speaker you may not have been fooled. That speaker may have been a better match for that room, not your room!

----------------

preach it brother!

The room is so important that even bose systems start to sound decent in their overly decked out rooms built to make their systems sound better. I know we're all so quick to bash bose, but seriously give them a non-critical listen the next time you happen to be in a dedicated bose store (ok so that'll be like never i know)...Now I'm not saying there aren't better sounding systems out there, but the bose + decked out room really lets you enjoy the music (which is what it's all about anyway). Then just imagine what good speakers would sound like in a properly treated room.

It's actually rather depressing reading opinions about subtle nuances between gear and all that, and then come to find out those people have crappy listening environments and have shown no effort to try and make it better...

----------------

On 7/8/2005 11:49:43 AM damonrpayne wrote:

I thought about this some more. Was anyone else
relieved
with what they heard during the listening test? I've not done blind A/B tests before, so this was my first chance to confirm to myself that I can indeed hear the differences in different systems. I've read things that state humans do not have very good sonic memory, so going from one person's house to another will befuddle what you hear.

----------------

That was my first "official" A/B test. I chose "A" and after finding out the results, wondered why I didn't think "B" sounded anywhere near as good (considering what I own).

Because of my naivete in this situation I chose the louder of the two speakers. I am glad that Trey cleared that up earlier in this thread. I think if they had been "level matched," I would still be a newbie, but would be forced to try and describe what I was hearing differently. Live and learn. 2.gif

You guys keep saying they were not level matched. I am sorry if this was true but I assure you it was not ALL day. And yes louder for most people sounds better. In the afternoon, about 1/2 way through, they were very very close to me. And no confusion from Steve Phillips too. A vs B.

I think the TRUTH is..... your looking for a way to justify your choices.

Just leave it, that on that day, you liked A or B. For whatever reason, that was your choice.

----------------

On 7/8/2005 11:01:45 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

You guys keep saying they were not level matched. I am sorry if this was true but I assure you it was not ALL day. And yes louder for most people sounds better. In the afternoon, about 1/2 way through, they were very very close to me. And no confusion from Steve Phillips too. A vs B.

Just leave it, that on that day, you liked A or B. For whatever reason, that was your choice.

----------------

That sure sounds presumptuous given the fact that:

A) Trey admitted the situation earlier in the thread (A was louder when my group auditioned the speakers) and

B) For what it's worth, in my group on the last switching (not every switching) of the speakers there was a mistake (or a misunderstanding by several people in my group) between which was A and B, but then confirmed by Steve, which one we were listening to.

I may have preferred "A" if given the situation everything was equal, but I am not convinced it was and loudness was an issue for me.

----------------

On 7/8/2005 11:01:45 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

----------------

I just wanted to add that the introduction of justification introduces bias into what was originally an unbiased situation. I get the impression that a lot of people feel stupid for thinking B sounded better just because it was the "measly" reference lineup...I bet the numbers would be far far more swayed in favor of A if it wasn't a blind test. I would also bet that the numbers would have swayed back in favor of B if they were level matched (at least I felt that the difference was almost 2dB when I was listening).

The nervousness factor that a few people mentioned brings up another interesting point (I'm pretty sure most all of us had a bit of apprehension for fear of picking the "wrong" one...gotta love them biases). I wonder how many of us had turned on our critical ears during this test instead of trying to enjoy the music...the reason I bring this up is because of the number of responses claiming that systems at home sounded better. A nervous critical listener is going to be picking apart all sorts of flaws that he would otherwise not notice when casually listening at home. Of all the rooms and systems that we demo'd at klipsch, I personally hated the AB room the most...prob because I had my most critical ears on at that time.

----------------

On 7/10/2005 2:33:37 PM DrWho wrote:

I just wanted to add that the introduction of justification introduces bias into what was originally an unbiased situation...

----------------

Given that "Some people" knew what was going to be unveiled on Saturday and (what was left out in a certain demo before the unveiling) not to mention if they were friends of the person who was giving the test, maybe it wasn't completely "blind" for ALL of us. 2.gif

----------------

On 7/10/2005 2:33:37 PM DrWho wrote:

...I would also bet that the numbers would have swayed back in favor of B if they were level matched (at least I felt that the difference was almost 2dB when I was listening).

----------------

This is where the crux of the matter lies...I agree with you Doc.

1.gif

Given that "Some people" knew what was going to be unveiled on Saturday and (what was left out in a certain demo before the unveiling) not to mention if they were friends of the person who was giving the test, maybe it wasn't completely "blind" for ALL of us.

======================================

I did not know anything about it, OR what speakers were used when I arrived with the rest of you. I want to make that very clear.

I thought the A vs. B activity was really fun, as was the entire day. I think some are being too critical of the way it was set up and run. It's not like it was some highly controlled experiment. Flawed or not, it was cool to get to hear those two speakers in an A/B comparison. 1.gif

Well put Seadog.. What started out as a comparison... just give us your thoughts... idea tell us a few things...in a blind test.

By some on here is/ was an all out war trying to look at the flaws.. Maybe I just chuckled in amazement that it turned out like it did.

I enjoyed it too.

Heck, I was both flattered and pleased that Klipsch was interested enough in our opinions that they asked us to write our comments down. It was fun. I found the reveal shocking, which was also fun.

Since the folks at Klipsch were nice enough to ask our opinion I assume they will pay attention to what we said. What we say about the test itself is also relevant and I assume they are still paying attention. I dont think there was a right or wrong answer and therefore no need to "justify" anything. I picked the speaker I thought sounded better. (In my case it was "B".) Others differed from my choice but I don't think they were wrong! I think it interesting to find out why they chose as they did.

----------------

On 7/11/2005 8:35:33 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Well put Seadog.. What started out as a comparison... just give us your thoughts... idea tell us a few things...in a blind test.

By some on here is/ was an all out war trying to look at the flaws.. Maybe I just chuckled in amazement that it turned out like it did.

----------------

I too had a good time, but I was also there to learn. Afterward, and on this thread I was trying to convey my opinion of the outcome. I thought THAT was what this thread was about.

Let's face it if Trey didn't convey what the flaw of the "Blind test" was, Several of us would have thought that "A" was hands down a better speaker {edit: and not just on that day}.

Maybe I was the only one who was offended (slightly 2.gif) when you said "I think the TRUTH is..... your looking for a way to justify your choices."