what the

seti

Ok I don't get this product at all me mucho confuso? The second I read this my BS meter lit up like a Xmas tree. Can an audio system be degaussed? Is this science or marketing voodoo?

Cardas Sweep Record

The "Sweeper", in addition to the standard tones, includes relative and absolute polarity checks, vocal channel identification and frequency sweeps that ultrasonically clean the cartridge stylus and degauss the entire system. And, locked, pink noise grooves that repeat endlessly, blank plateaus, even a sync label to check platter speed. All on a 180 gram pressing with a smiling Stan cover.

General Suggestions for Use by George Cardas

The Cardas Frequency Sweep and Burn-In Record is a set of tools that audiophiles have requested over the years. The benefits and uses of the "Sweeper" vary because turn tables and systems differ, as does the knowledge and tools of the end user.

The most important tools on this record are the Side 1 Frequency Sweeps. These are the degaussing tracks 2a, 2b and 2c. Simply play one of these tracks through your system at a low, normal level and it will degauss the cartridge and the rest of the system, plus clean the stylus ultrasonically. When played, the tracks progress from low frequencies at a high relative amplitude, to high frequencies (35 k+ if played at 45 rpm) at a low level. This is a complete degaussing process and an ultrasonic cleaning of the stylus at the same time. You may hear clicks and pops in the high frequency section after use. This is caused by the accumulation of junk which has fallen off the stylus during ultrasonic cleaning. Clean the record to remove the debris. This is the most efficient and cheapest way I know to degauss your cartridge and system. Basically, it makes a flux buster obsolete.

How often you use the Frequency sweeps is something you have to determine for yourself. The build up of residual stress in a system, is system dependent. Some parts require more frequent degaussing than others. For instance, permeable parts require more frequent degaussing than non permeable parts. An iron core cartridge will need more attention than ruby cored cartridge. Speakers with cored inductors acquire more stress than those with air core inductors. There should be an audible difference after you play the Frequency Sweeps. I run the sweeper at least once a week, it really works!

The sweeps are also useful as room tuning tools for setting up wall and ceiling treatments. Room reflection points, as well as other anomalies in the system, cause the image to shift with rising frequency. Simply sit in the hot spot and play the sweep at a low level. The image should be centered and stable in a well focused room. You can ignore changes in volume which are caused by comb filtering. Hard reflection points in the room can cause a shifting in focus, so padding these points will help stabilize the image. Hold a piece of foam rubber at arms length and block the sound from suspected reflecting points. When you think you have located the trouble spots, cover them with suitable damping materials.

An interesting speaker set-up trick is to listen to the low frequency, out of phase tones while sitting in the listening position. The note should cancel completely if speakers are positioned symmetrically. Try both tones and pick the one that works best for your room. Playing this tone while in the null point, at the hot spot, may also allow you to pick out strange noises and rattles in the system. Sorting out the exact cause of these anomalies is up to you.

I have this LP and indeed there is garbage that shows up in the HF tracks. I bought it for the test tones and for setting the anti-skate on my TT as there are bands of blank disc that will show you in an instant if you are too heavy or light. As to the degausseing properties ????? It does indeed go through a sweep from low to high.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 6/28/2005 3:24:00 PM Royster wrote:

You can put a prom dress on a pig, but underneath it you still have a pig.

----------------

Or, "you can't put perfume on a pig!"

"The benefits and uses of the "Sweeper" vary because turn tables and systems differ, as does the knowledge and tools of the end user."

This is the legal disclaimer that allows the BS to be presented. It really says that the physical operating principle of the Sweeper is defined by your gullibility to their advertisment.

When my speakers "acquire stress" I play them some nice music so they can relax.

********The build up of residual stress in a system, is system dependent. Some parts require more frequent degaussing than others. For instance, permeable parts require more frequent degaussing than non permeable parts. An iron core cartridge will need more attention than ruby cored cartridge. Speakers with cored inductors acquire more stress than those with air core inductors. There should be an audible difference after you play the Frequency Sweeps.*******

The above statement is pure unadulterated BS. The record may have many uses that it is good for, but not deguassing non-metallic items.

You are not going to deguass inductors inside a speaker crossover, no matter what you play over your speakers. From a marketing point, this will soon be a required item for people who buy B&W speakers. They love unobtanium stuff!

If you degauss a cartridge, you eliminate any magnetic properties.

Also. to degauss, one needs a degausser such as the type to degauss your Tape Recording Heads and path but do not do it while the unit is on.

You have to physically run a degausser over whatever you are degaussing.

So what is the cost to degauss BS?

Cardas is striving mightily to become an acknowledged leader in BS. The description of their caps at partsconexion is an absolute classic in the audio industry. I've posted it a couple times, but here it is again in all its glory:

"NEW ! Cardas Golden Ratio Capacitors feature two Golden Proportioned dielectric layers, separated by a metallic which produces "Retained Energy Scaling". The amount and rate of energy released is split between the two

dielectric receptacles in proportion to their constants. This composite dielectric eliminates the resonant signature of monolithic dielectric and provides constrained layer damping.

Cardas Golden Caps embody the same magic that lives in Cardas cables. Golden Ratio construction yields a

smoother, more musical capacitor, without a sacrifice in resolution. They measure extremely well and sound awesome."

>>Cardas Golden Caps embody the same magic that lives in Cardas cables. << I believe it. 0 + 0 still equals 0

Degaussing aside there do seem to be some genuine uses for this record. The sweep would be interesting to observe room effects and the tracking setup tracks are always a useful thing to have (if you are not running a linear arm).