FM Tuners

Piranha

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like and have a Magnum Dynalab. The MD-90 and above are all-analog designs. Berdan Brooks website pics suggest he has some on display, and they are worth listening to. Spendy and up, though.

My old Yamaha T-2 was exceptional in pulling in stations. I found M-D's sound to be better, however.

Larry

I have a Scott 310E tuner updated by Craig @ NOS Valves,I love it!! great tube tuner. But my Scott310E tuner has some background noise on weak stations,but I can live with that,cause I love the tube sound over the two solid state tuners I had before the Scott.

I recently owned a Sansui TU-717 tuner,paid $300 in MINT! condition off Audiogon,but you can find them in $200-$275 price range in near mint,great tuner!! In our den system I owned a Sansui TU-9900 Antenna Performance modified,sonics were better than the Sansui TU-717,but not worth the bigger bucks. The 9900 cost me $800 off Ebay.

So the Sansui TU-717 is a very good choice if you want solid state. But if you want the tube sound,a Scott 310E is very good also I've read that a Fisher 100b or 200b tuner is also very good.

Cheers,

Robert

----------------

On 7/6/2005 1:44:58 PM Piranha wrote:

What model/brand do you use? Or what have you heard that you really like? What models pull in FM really well?

----------------

Talk to Craig, Mdeneen, Garymd, and Allan. Those guys steered me good to an MR71, it's a tube tuner. Also, I've read alot about the Marantz 10B, and it is suppose to be King, however, I've also read that it's finiky, or that it needs relatively frequent service intervals.

I also aquired a Luxman T-110U. It's a SS FM only tuner, and sound excellent, supposedly one of luxmans most desirable tuners.

Magnum Dynalab MD102...several radio stations in Chicago are really really good. My tuner probably sees more play than my cd player.

BTW, most of the top picks on that tuner site are VERY good but VERY VERY hard to come by. Like anything else of quality, those who are in the know covet them and pay appropriate (read usually high) prices on Ebay.

I am really surprised at how great the old tube FM tuners work. I have a Mcintosh MX-110 and a Telefunken preamp tuner from a very nice console and both work great. My solid state tuner was good for s/s - a Yamaha T-70 - but the tube tuners are better. I'm getting a Scott tuner and have heard that they are excellent too but haven't had the pleasure yet.

I no longer have one in my "main" system -- I listen to the radio in the car. I found that when I wanted to listen to music, I wanted the sound quality of CD's versus FM radio. I do have secondary systems where I use receivers, so that's what I would use at home for radio listening (which I rarely do anyway). I used to have a Luxman receiver and was very happy with it. I pulled it out of my system several years ago though.

I have also got a Scott type 70 wideband FM tuner that sounds awsome. My Marantz 2020 in the garage thou, will pick up stations that I would not think it could. Stations as far as 160 miles away.

Happy Listening, Patrick

I am very pleased with the sound and even the RF performancer of my mono Sherwood S-3000. Outstanding price to performance ratio, IMO.

I cannot comment on MPX adaptors, though. I have a couple but I decided that I'd just as soon listen in mono. I suspect that the EICO MX-99 is better than average, although I've never heard a Scott or Fisher outboard MPX to compare it to.

I have the Rotel RT-1080 FM Tuner. It retails for $500.00 and it gives CD like quality sound, wide soundstage, great detail. It out classed my more exspense one that I paid $1500.00 for a few years back. I've been happy with the Rotel. I was shocked it sounded better when I A/B the two but could be newer technology since the other is a few years older??

----------------

On 7/6/2005 4:01:05 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

next problem is to find anything worth listening to on the local stations ..

hell, i may as well take the tuner outta my rack

----------------

Absolutely. FM is worthless now.