What's your favorite coffee?

wheelman

Bruce thanks for that link, and gullahisland nice write up. Everyones' links are great. I used to like a coffee called Javana still do, but not as much as the starbucks houseblend. I want to try the whole bean that is for sure. I like it black. I guess the more you get into it the harder it is to go back to the cheaper stuff. Sheetz makes some really good coffee for quicky mart coffee. I may need a new coffee maker, and grinder soon by the sounds of it on a budget. I never clean mine. Does vineger and water work?

Columbian DARK ROAST beans. Ground seconds before use. SLOWLY dripped. Sipped from a large heavy white cup with the two blue rings (you know the one) which allows for maximum nose.

CC's (Community) beans are always fresh at my supermarket because of high volume. If I try something else, I always go back.

Both sides of my family are from Louisiana. Coffee is argued like religion and politics or tube amplifiers!

DR BILL

charles, once you get your groove down with the french press you will never go back, paper filters tend to absorb oils and other tastey coffee goodness, and my OCD wont allow me to use anything that has never been cleaned. I just think stagnant water.

You are more than welcome to come by for a cup.

and see my new 77 decorator heresy's, I'll pry your brain for reconditioning ideas.

Here is the grinder that we use. When I make a full pot of coffee I just set the amount on 4 and just dump all it grinds into the filter. It runs about 50 bucks, we bought ours at Bed Bath and Beyond. It is very easy to use and will grind from fine to course by just turning the top. I like the burr type over the blade for more even grinding. I have a Krups dual coffee maker and this grinder works great with both exspresso and drip coffee and would also grind for a French Press.

IMO I would spend a little more and get the burr over the blade grinders, less guess work.

Steve

----------------

On 7/12/2005 12:25:01 PM WaveMan wrote:

As a native Seattleite - our home exclusively drinks "Seattles Best Coffee" .... Very smooth, yet bold flavor...

----------------

That's what they use at McDonalds here. I like it alot.

Customsteve thanks for the tip. I am not sure if I need a grinder that big. I don't mind if it's a little hands on. I see a blade grinder I like, but it only holds 1.6 oz of beans. I have no clue if that is enough for six cups dripped. Maybe I will just go for the better bur type one. The grinder will be worth more than my coffee maker. I was reading on one site were keeping your coffee in the fridge is the worst place possible, and freezer is second. They mentioned keeping it in a sealed air tight container made of ceramic or glass. Don't let the light hit it either. So basically a cool dry dark place in one of the above containers. I personally been using the fridge for years. I may have to try a different place now. 50-70 farenheit is ideal I read.

• 5 weeks later...

Steve no I haven't yet. I almost did at walmart then thought maybe I should hold out for a burr grinder. Not much more money really. I sold something to a dude on ebay in Hawaii and the guy is very passionate about his coffee. He told me to check out this brewing method. Bar none the best from his stand point. Here is a link. I just ended up buying another bag of Starbucks houseblend grounded. I still would like to try at least the whole bean. But this cold brew looks interesting no acid. Well probally some but not as much as normal brewing. He said you get all the buzz and flavor without the side effects of the acid on your kidneys, heart, stomach ext.... ( two different links)

http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67

http://www.filtron.com/filtron-systems-main.htm

"Bunn Coffee Machine"

Yep. Gotta love a full pot ready to go in 3 minutes. Got one of these as a gift from my mother over 15 years ago....finally replaced it with another Bunn about a year ago. 14 years is a record for a coffeemaker here.

Bunn also has a new version with a thermal carafe (instead of the heated plate). The hot plate destroys the freshness of coffee - you want to keep it hot, yet not "cook" the brew any further. The new Bunn with thermal carafe addresses Bunn's only prior fault.

Once you own a Bunn, you'll never be happy with anything else.

Kenyan coffee is killer, as is the aforemention Kona from Hawaii. As much as I hate to admit it, Starbucks regular coffee is pretty good. I just love to go into Starbucks and order a "large coffee". Poor employees look like deer in the headlights. You couldn't pay me to say "Venti". For everyday use I get Maxwell House French Roast, otherwise I'd be in the poor house. I'm pretty sure I've mutated my DNA with caffine by now.

I urge you all to try using a percolater rather than a drip machine. Much more flavorful in my opinion. Pain in the arse to clean though.

• Like 1