Need everyone's .02 worth on Amplifiers and Pre's?

BS Button

Mainly concerned with my 2 channel set up. The Adcom equipment is going to be sold and I'm looking for another cost reasonable set up. Should I win the auction today on the HK730, that will go with my pair of Heresy's. What solid state options are good with Cornwalls? Yes, I will consider a reciever.

By all means, win the harman/kardon 730 if you can!

7302.jpg

I've never auditioned any of the classic harman/kardon receivers, but so many here swear by 'em and their excellent sonics with Klipsch loudspeakers that's it's a no-brainer IMO!

Also any McIntosh amp and/or receiver will work wonders with Klipsch, be it transistors or tubes. If you can afford them, then get 'em...I can vouch for the SS MC7200, MC2100, and the MC250. If I wasn't using my 300B SET amp, I'd still own my venerable MC250 (I still miss it).5.gif

post-11084-13819267224086_thumb.jpg

Ive got a SAnsui Ba 2000 power amp and CA 2000 preamp, the sound was good but not great, took out the preamp and put in a Nad 1600 tuner/preamp-fantastic.

I would like to try a Nad Poweramp with Nad Preamp, and see those results.

Anyone here on the forum running Nad power??????????

----------------

On 7/10/2005 11:12:25 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

Budget?

----------------

What he said.

I've got a pretty nice solid-state preamplifier (ARC) that I'm probably going to be selling, but if you're looking at the HK730, it may be above your price goal.

----------------

On 7/10/2005 4:48:24 PM Big Rig Guy wrote:

Ive got a SAnsui Ba 2000 power amp and CA 2000 preamp, the sound was good but not great, took out the preamp and put in a Nad 1600 tuner/preamp-fantastic.

I would like to try a Nad Poweramp with Nad Preamp, and see those results.

Anyone here on the forum running Nad power??????????

----------------

Yes, but it's an a/v receiver and it still sound great for music. Nad has awesome power but still gives you warmth, and a soft top without making your ears bleed. BS Button I would consider any Nad with klipsch. What a combo!!

I have a NAD C542 CD player that sounds great with my La Scalas so their other gear should sound great also. Find a NAD dealer and leave a deposit on one of the demo models and take it home for a day or two and try it in your system. If they won't let you do this then don't buy from them. I've done this on the C540 and the Jolida CD player both from different dealers.

Xman

The most glorious my Klipsch Fortes have sounded was when I was running them with a McCormack TLC-1 preamp and DNA-1 Deluxe amp... the sound I was getting nearly brought me to tears on some of my favorite recordings.

There is a TLC-1 on ebay now with a BIN of $425; that, along with a used McCormack DNA 0.5 (Deluxe is better - they usually run from $600 - $750), would make your Cornwalls sing like no other SS for that price.

Separates: I would not have it any other way with Klipsch speakers.

Whatever sounds great on the Heresies, will sound glorious on the Cornwalls. The only solid-state receiver of reasonable cost that I would consider for big ole horns are the vintage twin-powered Harmon Kardon models.

10.gif

Big Rig Guy,

I will offer my humble opinion regarding the NAD - Klipsch marriage. I currently have a NAD preamp tuner (sorry I forgot the model number, but will look later tonight when I get home if you like), A NAD cd player and a NAD 218 THX amp mated to a pair of La Scalas and a pair of dual 15" subs driven by a QSC RMX 2450 with a DBX 234 XL crossover. I had this configuration for some time and was never really satisfied with how the La Scalas sounded and I could never really get the subs to blend as well as I had hoped. I ordered a pair of KPT Jubilees for my home and was going to repower with vintage BGW restored at the factory. I got one BGW 750B back before the Jubilees arrived and decided to try it out and I was very impressed at the depth of the sound versus the NAD in a true A\B test. I know this is probably not a popular view here but it is just my opinion and personal preference. By the way I sold the QSC and the subs because they were not "neccessary" any longer with the BGW mated to the La Scalas. Don't get me wrong, the La Scalas will never belt out window shattering bass but they are capable of a lot more than they were letting on with my NAD power. I also did not notice any graininess in the mid and upper ranges with the BGW. I would say that all things considered it was well worth the swap.

----------------

On 7/11/2005 10:26:22 AM jeffgeorge wrote:

BS Button,

Nakamichi STASIS in a receiver, or separates is FABULOUS with Klipsch. The STASIS is a Nelson Pass design (Threshold) and sounds great with Heritage. I have them on my Heresys and LaScalas. You will not be dissapointed.
1.gif

----------------

What he said with Heresys and K'Horns...very nice as is, of course, McIntosh!

Bill

----------------

On 7/11/2005 9:24:48 AM BS Button wrote:

It's hard to imagine that the only good solid state amplification for Heritage is HK Twin? C'mon guys. I was also thinking about B&K?

----------------

-Ahem- I think I offered another name besides HK... or do I not have enough thousands of posts to have an informed opinion?

7.gif

I had an NAD PE2200 (very powerful) on loan during a repair job powering my KHorns. The sound was so wooly and slow it freaked me out. It was like an overdone caricature of an old magnavox tube console hi-fi. I imagine they do better stuff, but that piece scared me away.

Whassamatta with 70's Luxman receivers & integrateds?