What this place needs is a�..

thebes

Good summertime music thread.

Oh yeah, 10AM and my even my socks are starting to sweat, gonna broil all day, but comes the evening, sit out back, listen to the summer sounds and bask in the growing dusk, fireflies starting up, kids yelling, young men cruising and young women looking very fine in their summertime uniforms.

Memories of summertime are always punctuated by songs, Under the Boardwalk, Hot time summer in the city , back of my neck getting hit and gritty.., weve gotta get out this place by the Animals, you get the idea.

So what do you say , lets crack the window, pop a Pabst, let the summer musk in and spin some summer tunes. A little context wouldnt hurt either.

Summer in the City for example. Maybe 16, had a occasional day job helping my father by unloading a semi-trailer full of cookies (he had a small distribution company) listening to this tune mixed with a little honest sweat and the wonderful smell of cookies, cardboard and the heat baked wooden panel siding inside of the truck, while bugging my brother at the same time. Just a vignette, a splice of life, but for some reason the tune always bring me to that place and time.

Hey its summer. Lets take our time and spin this one out for a while

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice thread Mssr. Thebes. And a fine howdy to the twins!

The year 1975. Little Mike Colter was a senior in high school. Wearing the quintessential flared jeans, rock t-shirt, masses of curly locks and looking very fit and trim. He was a rocker- let there be no doubt. Singing Zeppelin and Kiss in a garage band, it was his summer of love. Led Zeppelin, a band he had followed and revered since his first album purchase of Led Zep II, had been on extended hiatus. 1974 was a very bad year for the Zeppelin. Finally, a double album set was announced and released. Mike was the first guy in Indy to see the cover as it was unboxed at the local Stone Balloon store. He always knew when the Mighty Zeppelin would arrive in town.

Putting the magical vinyl on his basement stereo and hearing the variety of tracks, he was in love again with the mystical Zep sound. But the song, THE SONG, was Kashmir- encapsulating everything that Zep was about. The flanged opening drum hits, simple keyboard chord progression, lyrics written in Morocco, Eastern influences all over the place- all told the tale of one of the most remembered Zeppelin tracks of all time. "Oh let the sun beat down upon my face" Robert belted out white-bluesman style, he howls like a cat in heat. The Sun is mentioned numerous times in the track. It's about desert heat, travel, mirage, intrigue. The very stuff of summer.

To me Zeppelin just says SUMMER, from memories of seeing them in 1977 and partying during my senior year in school. The beer, the babes, Zep was Drugs, Sex, and Rock and Roll incarnate. I've got a gold record of Physical Graffiti hanging on the wall in my office. It's my favorite album of all time. Play Kashmir at my funeral, will ya?

Michael

Lets go Crazy, by Prince. and Come On Eileen, by Dexys Midnight Runners.

Well these songs always remind me of the summer when I was 21. Oh the days and nights of that summer. I worked as a bar back in a rather large disco out in west Texas. Would work the night away in the bar and then come closing time it was our time to party into the morning. I had an apartment that was right by the pool. The party would wind down around 6 am and would then sleep till the afternoon and then walk out to the pool till it was time to go to work again and start the cycle all over. Oh, and the girls, they were just everywhere, at the pool, the bar, and the parties, to be able to live that over again, Oh My..

Damn you Thebes now Im not going to be able to work worth a hoot tonight, you got me reminiscing. Oh to be 21 again.

Nicholtl are you reading these stories that we are all writing. You better be making all the memories you can now so youll have them when youre older.

Steve

summer of 75' was living in bayonne, nj our "click" had our summer spot under the flagpole at bayonne park, stones , floyd , dead and edgar were hot that year . roosevelt stadium was the place to be for concerts in the east. oh yeah!! the only thing to beat that was bicenttennial year to follow anybody remember the ny dolls at max's kansas city it was a really good summer in 76'1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif

----------------

On 7/20/2005 7:26:56 PM dragonfyr wrote:

Sounds like Fairfax/Annandale circa '65-'66 on WPGC "The Good Guys" before WHFS took over on FM! Nice memories!

----------------

I remember listening to music on AM radio in the DC area when I was a kid. I think I still have a cassette laying around somewhere from WRC. Remember WINX AM in Rockville? Ah, the good ol' days.

Back to the topic........I always think of The Beach Boys and for some reason, Van Morrison's Moondance as summer music.

1975 seems to be a year that resonates. I was just out of high school and was going to hang around Aspen and commit myself completely to rock climbing and ski bumming for a year or two before going to college. My girlfriend went right off to MIT. One of my best friends took off hitch-hiking across the country and another took up temporary residence in an old mine and later lived in a tipi. Pure Prairie League - "Aimie", Marshall Tucker Band - "Fire on the Mountain", and the Eagles - "One of These Nights" all came out. The bar bands added them to their sets to blend in with the Grateful Dead stuff they all played. I eventually met and hung out with a very cool 40ish year old woman that had a place in Snowmass. I got on the ski patrol thanks to a friend and I was set for the season. A couple of years later, Claudine Longet shot Spider Sabich, Ted Bundy escaped from the Pitkin County Courthouse and I went to college. I'm glad that I was young then - what a place and what a time. You have to be a billionaire to live there now.

Damn, you cats are old!! In 75, I was still filling my drawers three times a day... I've cut down since then.

nothings_shocking.jpg

If I had to choose one record that reminded me of my Sr in high school (I'd hoped that I wouldn't have to...), I'd pull Jane's Addiction's "Nothing's Shocking". No reefer stories, but plenty of draft beer and booty.

'Little Mike Colter' Absolutely Nailed it for me . . .

I was just a skinny, punk arse junior high kid in '75 who was singing to himself while blasting Led Zep Kashmir everyday before leaving the house around noon to walk down to the public pool, hassle all the 'older' (HS) hotties and hang with bros

btw, worry not ole man, not only will I play Kashmir at my funeral, I'll play it in your honor when I get home tonight!

Thanks for inspiring the memories.

Eric Burdon and War---Spill The Wine

Spill the wine and take that pearl, Spill the wine and take that pearl

I was once out strolling one very hot summer's day

When I thought I'd lay myself down to rest

in a big field of tall grass

I lay there in the sun and felt it caressing my face 9.gif

And I fell asleep and dreamed 5.gif

I dreamed I was in a Hollywood movie

And that I was the star of the movie 10.gif

This really blew my mind, the fact that me,

an overfed, long-haired leaping gnome

should be the star of a Hollywood movie 6.gif

But there I was, I was taken to a place, the hall of the mountain kings

I stood high upon a mountain top, naked to the world1.gif

In front of every kind of girl, there was

black ones, round ones, big ones, crazy ones... 3.gif

Out of the middle came a lady 13.gif

She whispered in my ear something crazy

("Es una cosa de locos" or, "It's a thing for crazy people.")14.gif

She said:

I thought to myself what could that mean

Am I going crazy or is this just a dream

Now, wait a minute

I know I'm lying in a field of grass somewhere

so it's all in my head

and then.. I heard her say one more time:

I could feel hot flames of fire roaring at my back 11.gif

As she disappeared, but soon she returned

In her hand was a bottle of wine, in the other, a glass

She poured some of the wine from the bottle into the glass

And raised it to her lips

And just before she drank it, she said:

16.gif

When I was 14-18 I worked as a caddy at a pretty high class country club. I started out riding my bike to work, would caddy 36 holes then ride back. Eventually I woked my way up to working in the club house. On Sunday morning there was a 4 hour Oldies show on the local rock station. I just loved listening to "Heat Wave". I could not wait for "Your host with the most Mr. Chuck Roast" to fire up his black on black in black 57 Chevy and start spinning the tunes.

Any Detroit-ers out there remember that morning show on Sundays?

Summer time, no A/C in my car or my parents house...dripping with sweat...man those were the

days. NOT!

Heat Wave

Martha and The Vandellas

Whenever I'm with him

Something inside

Starts to burnin'

And I'm filled with desire

Could it be the devil in me

Or is this the way love's supposed to be

Just like a heatwave

Burning in my heart

Can't keep from cryin'

It's tearing me apart

Whenever he calls my name

So slow, sweet and plain

I feel, yeah, yeah, well I feel that burning flame

Has my blood pressure got a hold on me

Or is this the way love's supposed to be

Just like a heatwave

Burning in my heart

Can't keep from cryin'

It's tearing me apart

Sometimes I stare in space

Tears all over my face

I can't explain it, don't understand it

I 'ain't never felt like this before

But that doesn't mean it has me amazed

I don't know what to do, my head's in a haze

Just like a heatwave

Burning in my heart

Can't keep from cryin'

It's tearing me apart

Don't pass up this chance

This time it's a true romance

Heatwave

Ahh the summers of my youth. Long sunny days on the beach, me and my sailboat, a blanket and an AM transistor! Too young to pay attention to girls, I would be dropped off by my mother at 8 in the morning with fifty cents for spending money and I was free to do whatever I wanted until I was picked up at about 5 in the afternoon. Laying on the beach listening to top forty on the transistor, drinking a ten cent soda pop.

The British invasion was in full swing The Beatles, Hermans Hermits, The Stones, American groups like Jan and Dean, The beach boys, singing, I want to hold your hand, Love me do, Mrs. Brown you have a lovely daughter, Henry the Eighth, Summer in the City, Under the boardwalk, Dead mans curve, Surf in safari.

Great thread, I havent thought about these things for a long time, Thanks!!

It was the summer of 1977, I was 19 and going to see my first real rock & roll show, the Grateful Dead (5/18/77)in Atlanta, GA at the Fabulous Fox Theater with four of my best friends. It was a hot hot day, and my car had broken down on I-20 near Crawfordville, GA. The four of us got out album covers and held them up on the highway, and we were picked up by a fellow concert goer and dropped off right at the venue with an hour to spare.

That night the band ended their first set that night with 'Music Never Stopped'

"There's mosquitos on the river

Fish are rising up like birds

It's been hot for several weeks now

too hot to even speak now

Did you hear what I just heard?

Well it might have been the river

Or it could have been the wind

But there seems to be a beat now

I can feel it in my feet now

Listen there it goes again!"

Woo

----------------

On 7/21/2005 9:07:46 AM Woodog wrote:

It was the summer of 1977, I was 19 and going to see my first real rock & roll show, the Grateful Dead (5/18/77)in Atlanta, GA at the Fabulous Fox Theater with four of my best friends. It was a hot hot day, and my car had broken down on I-20 near Crawfordville, GA. The four of us got out album covers and held them up on the highway, and we were picked up by a fellow concert goer and dropped off right at the venue with an hour to spare.

That night the band ended their first set that night with 'Music Never Stopped'

"There's mosquitos on the river

Fish are rising up like birds

It's been hot for several weeks now

too hot to even speak now

Did you hear what I just heard?

Well it might have been the river

Or it could have been the wind

But there seems to be a beat now

I can feel it in my feet now

Listen there it goes again!"

Woo

----------------

There's a band out on the highway, They're high steppin' into town

It's a rainbow full of sound, It's fireworks, calliopes and clowns

Everybody dancin' C'mon children, C'mon children, Come on clap your hands.

Sun went down in honey and the moon came up in wine,

You know stars were spinnin' dizzy, Lord

The band kept us too busy we forgot about the time.

They're a band beyond description, Like Jehovah's favorite choir

People joining hand in hand While the music played the band, Lord

They're setting us on fire.

Crazy rooster crowin' midnight, Balls of lightin' roll along

Old men sing about their dreams, Women laugh and children scream

And the band keeps playin' on.

Keep on dancin' thru the daylight, Greet the mornin' air with song

No ones's noticed, but the band's all pack and gone. Was it ever there at all?

But they keep on dancin' C'mon children, C'mon children, Come on clap your hands

Well the cool breeze came on Tuesday, And the corn's a bumper crop

And the fields are full of dancin' Full of singin' and romancin'

The music never stopped.

1977. I was 17 and The Grateful Dead were in their prime. If I had to pick my top 10 favorite Dead shows, at least half would be from '77. Thanks Woo.

• Moderators

Well, since I was a teenager during the 80's, my summer memories are more wrapped up in songs like Summer of '69--Bryan Adams, Panama--Van Halen, Boys of Summer--Don Henley...so many more, but those really stand out.