Didn't I once say...

Deang

Oh yeah, talk about a black background.

Mike - sure, it's normal looking for doing a mod, but it doesn't "feel" normal doing it.

Steve - there's no way I know of to "mod" a Klipschorn bass bin. The only thing one can really do is go to a different kind of LF horn -- say like the Jubilee, or like what D-man did. One can go to something different than the K-33, but the K-33 is really a good driver for that application.

I'm prepping for the Trachorns -- which should show up on Friday. I'll get some good installation pictures in here, but based on what I've done so far, and what I anticipate having to do -- I don't expect much difficulty in getting it done. Four screws total hold the motorboard in -- two on each side. You can see the two screw-holes on each side in the picture. I think it took a whopping five minutes to pull out the fronts.

DeanG

Read the article, liked these two points:

If you go back and read between the lines of many articles that Klipsch published after stereo was introduced, he had a great number of problems with the imaging of horns. He finally had to put his Belle Klipsch in the center to eliminate the hole. What I've found is that if I put quarter-size horns up against the wall, space them symmetrically with six to eight feet separation, and arrange the midrange horns so that they're more or less at ear level, limiting the horizontal spread, then the imaging clicks in.

Heyser's Catastrophe Theorem. Your listening experience is on one level, then you make a discrete jump up to the next level of experience. If you try to go back to the lower level, it's very hard to do. The same thing happens with sports cars, cameras, wine, etc.

They're still new, there's not a mark or scratch on them -- I can even make them "AK-4 Klipschorns" again in a matter of days if I want. Besides, the advantage of buying new went way beyond having nice cabinets. The cost of entry was high, but has been offset by the education I received doing it.