Khorns in the house and in "their" room.

anarchist

Guys,

I picked up my Khorns (using Indy's method) and got them home. Initially, I didn't manage to get them past the living room before connecting them up. Now at the time they were in the middle of the room 18 inches from each other and angled slightly inward. This configuration resulted in the entire family sitting back and listening to them for the next 5 hours amazed at how they sounded compared to every other Klipsch speaker in the house.

Saturday, 2 days later and still amazed by their sound, I decided they had to make the migration into their permanent home and corners. Kids and I went through the "junk" room and moved furniture all over the place seeking the optimal layout. Changed my mind a few times after seeing the Khorns in certain corners. Finally got it all done. Hit the shack for some new wire and spade connectors (based on a previous post about best connection options and further cemented when I saw the difference between banana plugs and spade connectors.) Got home, hooked it all up, and fired up the same CD that I had previously been playing.

Holy smokes! The initial reaction was "this can't be real. Damn, these corners do make a difference." It ain't subtle by any stretch of the imagination. Bass guitar passages which were previously fairly mute became suddenly alive and in your face. I won't go into all the airy, detail, and normal audio cliches here. Suffice it to say, these speakers have been nothing short of awe inspiring. The ease, volume, clarity, bigness, and fullness of sound is without any peer I have ever heard. RF-7s aren't close. KSP400's aren't close. Heresies aren't close. I don't know if anything is close. The Khorns aren't a pair of speakers playing music, they are devices which transform a room into a sound "womb". It is simply unbelievable; you would have to hear them to believe it... and when you do, you would have to own them. These ARE the speakers which you design or purchase your home around and I, previously, always thought that a bit extreme. I am a convert.

Please note the usual caveats apply, my opinion, my listening experiences, given the proper room, yada yada yada.

Sounds like you are having a great time with your new babies! I understand completely. The first time I ever heard them was after I had gotten them in my room. What glorious sound.

They'll only leave my hands after I die.

I like the 'sound womb' metaphor. It fits.

Woo

Anarchist,

On this we are in full agreement! I had my epiphany about two and a half years ago following a Wisconsin road trip to pick them up. What you went through almost perfectly matches what happened here except I got mine into the corners quicker.

The best way I have found to describe it is that my CornIIs have no problem filling the room with sound, but the Khorns envelop the room in sound!

Congratulations and welcome to the land of the converts! 9.gif3.gif9.gif

"The Khorns aren't a pair of speakers playing music, they are devices which transform a room into a sound 'womb'."

Yeah, that's pretty good. The whole room gets loaded up instead of just part of a room -- it makes a tremendous difference.

Greetings,

Congratulations on the K-Horns! It's a great feeling to puchase something and have it not only meet but exceed expectations. I've never heard music through a K-Horn (and since I don't have the corners for them, perhaps that's a good thing 2.gif ); however, I suspect these will be the last speakers you'll ever want to own.

ENJOY!!!

Take care,

Scott

----------------

On 8/1/2005 1:12:30 PM scotbuck wrote:

... I've never heard music through a K-Horn (and since I don't have the corners for them, perhaps that's a good thing
2.gif
); ...

----------------

Scott,

If you decide that it is a bad thing, it can be arranged!

Anarchist,

Congratulations! You comments remind me of similar experiences with my own K-Horns.

Enjoy them and remember to be thankful. There are billions of people in the world, but there are only about .001 % who get to enjoy the sound of a Klipschorn.

That is a sobering thought.

Enjoy,

-Tom

----------------

On 8/1/2005 1:47:57 PM scriven wrote:

----------------

On 8/1/2005 1:12:30 PM scotbuck wrote:

... I've never heard music through a K-Horn (and since I don't have the corners for them, perhaps that's a good thing
2.gif
); ...

----------------

Scott,

If you decide that it is a bad thing, it can be arranged!

----------------

Greetings,

If I ever heard the same basic sound I'm getting with the La Scalas but with horn-loaded bass down to 32Hz rather than 53Hz, I suspect I might be in for a dose of buyer's remorse. Right now I wanna keep the "buyer's rejoice" thang goin' on for awhile! 2.gif If, however, I every get a house with a proper, K-Horn friendly basement then maybe I'll just have to take you up on that offer! Thanks!!

Take care,

Scott

"The Khorns aren't a pair of speakers playing music, they are devices which transform a room into a sound "womb". It is simply unbelievable; you would have to hear them to believe it... and when you do, you would have to own them."

Prior to getting my Khorns I had a pair of KLF30s that my wife and I dearly loved.When I found an affordable pair of Khorns within "road trip" range< 700 mile round trip >my wife said If you want them that badly go for it! but I can't imagine them sounding any better than what you have already.

My buddy and I trudged off into the wilds of British Columbia ( Kelowna ) and after an exhausting trek returned to High River,Alberta with the Khorns. I shoved them into the available corners and fired up Leonard Cohen's "Democracy."My bud rolled his eyes and said this is fantastic!

My wife listened for all of 30 seconds and said," OMG the room is the speaker!"

A few months later SWMBO walked in on me as I was rope caulking a midhorn and said "WTF are you doing to our speakers?? ( This from a lady who had damned near allowed her mother to talk her into becoming a cloistered nun !...Not joking here! That was her mother's fondest wish before Rosie got hooked up with a Prostitu..Err Protestant ).

There are speakers that image better,give a more detailed soundstage,or have a more dramatic bass presentation but when all is said and done the sound of the Khorn is so integrated and real that as another friend of mine said just yesterday "I have never in my life heard another speaker that sounds as good as those!"

In an amazing coincidence my friend had emigrated from South Africa to Canada about 50 years ago because of the policy of Apartheid but still retained a great love of the music of his homeland.Purely by chance Paul Simon's Graceland was on my turntable and I played Homeless and a few other cuts for him. I had to laugh because I had some pressing issues to deal with but my friend kept asking me to play various cuts over again. He was astounded by the sound of the Khorns.

I was not the least suprised at his reaction as they still have that efect on me nearly every time I listen to the music they reproduce.I have progressed from marvelling at the sound of my speakers to marvelling at music I hear.

There are speakers that image better

There are?

I've never heard better imaging than on mine. Ever. I've played them for about a dozen people so far and all of them thought my center speakers was playing the lead vocals. It wasn't.

--

Congrats! And welcome to the club! 3.gif