Newbie Help

----------------

On 8/16/2005 8:14:26 AM Colin wrote:

my first choice is the wonderful analog class D chip amplifiers, such as the $35 Sonic Impact 5066 integrated class-T digital amplifier.

----------------

Absolutely not! This is a remarkably poor amp.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, not to be critical, but you would be better off saying that you live in Denton, 35 miles north of Ft. Worth, not Dallas...just a suggestion. ;)

I am in Keller, wife is UNT master's grad, and I have had a few experiences in Denton I choose not to remember.

Generally concensus is against Yamaha receivers on the forum, but I tell you I have two of them, and I have liked them very much (before I went separates of course), and I still will reccomend then as bang for buck, especially if you are going to be setting up a home theater DD or DTS setup too, and general listening. I liked (and didn't use, ever) the myriad features these offered, and never had a mechanical problem with either of them (in years of pretty hard use). I was pretty happy with the bang/buck factor as well.

NOW, the general consensus is that Yamaha's are very bright receivers, and mated with a bright sounding Klipsch horn loaded speaker, you are asking for fatigue with screeching highs (I think I am summarizing this correctly), but my experience has been different, in that I really enjoy the crisp highs of this combination and I didn't ever notice harsh high notes with my Cornwalls and the Yamaha, and I recommend these receivers for entry level HT or two channel. You can get a really good deal on them too in various places on the net.

I would be more than happy to hook one up for you if you want to hear it...

K

Congrats on the Heresy speakers and welcome to our friendly forum!!!

I'm unfamiliar w/Heathkits, myself. Send Craig an email on those for more info. He'll be straight with you.

There's an H/K 730 on ebay (579796016). $21. and change @ the moment, another $20.00 for shipping with two days to go. Keep your eye on it.

They are very fine receivers for the money. Good Tuner section, two transformers for a bit more headroom,and a nice overall sound quality.

Forum member mdeneen builds the Merlin pre amp.

www.juicymusicaudio.com

You can also search our forum using Merlin as a keyword for reviews of the Merlin.

Keep us posted.

WOOF!

I wouldn't recommend Adcom.

I had an NAD receiver one time that sounded really nice.

The HK430/730/930 would be perfect. Great match to a pair of Heresy's. I have a HK930 that sounded better the more you turned it up. I loaned it to a friend to use for a while and now it has a dead channel.

Greg

----------------

On 8/16/2005 5:44:40 PM TEXASRONANDTRISH wrote:

The NAD is model 2600, supposedly a good amp, I can't beat the price (free) so I think I'll start looking for a nice tube pre-amp in the $600 range. Unless someone differs?

I appreciate all the help, if you live in North texas email me and I'll buy you a beer/coffee.

God Bless

Ron

----------------

You are invited to join the DFW Hornheads at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DFW_Hornheads/?yguid=90839422

I haven't had time to respond on the forum, but decided to get the ball rolling there. Sometimes newbies are ignored.

We get together as a group, 4 - 5 times a year at someone's home. Other times in just 2's and 3's.

Mike

PS: There are older Texas rules known only to a few older native Texans that negate those trifling clauses you sited.

And we'll be happy 9.gif to let you bring the beer to the next gathering in late Sept or early Oct in Flower Mound.

Good2BHome, you're on as long as you like German brew I'll cruise over to the yahoo group and join in.

Guy, I spotted that as well, its in with about 3-4 others I'm checking into.

Again thanks for the newbie help, although I'm listening to Queensryche on my Paradigms and Denon, sounds pretty good, can't wait for the Heresy/NAD/?? combo, should be much better

God Bless

Ron9.gif

Welcome abord Texas, you'll like it here. Guy steered me to a Conrad Johnson and they are wonderfull. I've got one I may let go, but I need about a month more of comparison with another pre I picked up (also a Guy suggestion) before I'd decide to let it go. It depends on how much in a hurry you are.

Tubes and Heritage are a really good mix and there are people who here who move stuff in and out all the time so a litte patience may be rewarded. If you are in a hurry the CJ on Audiogon is probably a really good choice.

Congratulations on the getting the Heresys.

These are nice, efficient speakers that have a beautifully detailed sound. They area great value. They are however a bit weak in the low bass, although the bass they do provide is clean and even, nothing boomy.

These are my opinions:

1) Rejoice, the speakers are efficient and they do not need a lot of power (wattage). You probably do not need to go above 50-75 watts

2) The impedance, combined with the efficiency, make them an easy load for an amplifier, so you do not need an expensive high current amp.

3) No amplifier is going to make the low bass come alive. Speaker cabinet design is a seies of compromises, the Heresy's bass are simply shy on the very low end. Although, proper placement and set up will help some. An amplifier will not make up for physical acoustics however,

4) Because they are efficient, any noise, hiss, or hum will be quite audible. Please get a quiet and clean amp.

5) The weak link in a system (the most prone to noise, coloration, distortion) is the speaker. You are doing well with the Heresy. So please do not apologize about using an inexpensive CD player. You are headed in the right direction and have a very good start on things.

Having said this, there are a number of used, reasonably priced, and available power amps or intetgrated amps out there. Consider the following, and audition them if possible: NAD, Rotel, Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Luxman, Adcom, or Hafler.

There are others also. What I have listed are ones that are readily available and certainly priced for your budget.

Good Luck and please rememeber that a clean and quiet, modest size amp will be fine. After this, the bigger impact come from speaker placement and room treatment

Enjoy,

-Tom

Thanks Tom,

I'm grabbing the NAD 150/ch, I know its overkill but not for the Khorns I'll own someday2.gif I'm leaning to the Conrad Johnson pre on audiogon, however thebes on this forum may want to part with his soon and I'm in no huge hurry.

As far as the bass goes I like my paradigm Titans and can only imagine the heresys pump out more bass then those. Now for that Thorens TT on audiogon, I;ve lost my mind

9.gif

God Bless.

Ron

Hey TexR&T,

I live in Grapevine, but I'm very familiar with Denton. I worked in Denton for nearly 10 years, and went to UNT for my MBA.

I see that you have joined the DFW Hornheads. You'll get a chance to hear some nice systems if you can stand hanging out with the likes of us 9.gif. Unless you are in a rush, you would do well to listen to a vareity of different amplification types before spending the big dollars, and the Hornheads are a great resource for that.

David

----------------

On 8/16/2005 8:45:15 PM TEXASRONANDTRISH wrote:

Thanks Tom,

Now for that Thorens TT on audiogon, I;ve lost my mind

9.gif

God Bless.

Ron

----------------

Yeah lose it man!!! I didn't want a thorens till I saw my friends built like a tank sounds great.

Ron,

If you want a good tube preamp, there is a Conrad Johnson PV-7 on Audiogon for $375. I've had one of these excellent preamps. Not too soft, but still has that tube smoothness. This is a great preamp for the money. There are only five (5) tubes in it, so even if the tubes are old, Conrad Johnson can send you new tubes for less than $150.

Jimd

----------------

On 8/16/2005 5:44:40 PM TEXASRONANDTRISH wrote:

...so I think I'll start looking for a nice tube pre-amp in the $600 range.

----------------

Perhaps you could consider the Juicy Music Merlin, a tube line level preamp that retails for $599 brand new. Check out http://www.juicymusicaudio.com.

You could then buy a phono preamp. NAD have one called the PP-2 Phono Stage. In Australia it sell for around $150. In the U.S. you would get it much cheaper - $70?

Combined with the NAD power amp, and your Heresys, you would have a great system.