Alan Parsons Project

What Dman said. Edgar Allen Poe and I Robot will get you probably most of the songs on any best hits compilation, plus they'll be in the right order and with other great tunes that didn't get airplay. These songs are from the great era of Concept Album Rock and should be listened through straight through.

Remember that Allan Parsons was the producer for Pink Floyd DSOTM, so play that and look up some history on his other projects as well. He was very well known in studios for a long while.

Michael

Turn Of A Friendly Card is a great album or CD . Allthough you know how music sometimes takes you back to when you first heard it . I first listened to it to escape the grief of my mothers death back in 1980 . Anytime I hear Games People Play it reminds me of hanging out upstairs in my brothers room listening to the album on his headphones , cranked realy loud .

I have the MFSL LP of "I Robot" which is by far their most popular album. I assume you can probably get it on CD also. Some of the other recommendations are really good too. He's produced a lot of albums for other artists and the recordings are usually top notch.

Speaking of, he also has "La Sagrade Familia" and Colter might appreciate this (and he might not 6.gif )

I was once in Barcelona Spain AT the LaSagrade Famila or what ever the 'church' is called. I was up in one of the spires walking down. As I was in there, I thought...hmm...that might make an interesting picture looking straight down the spiral. So, I took the shot and it came out pretty much like I thought it would.

A number of years later, this album came out.

Just WHAT is the album cover pic but the SAME frigging shot looking down one of the spires!!! 10.gif10.gif10.gif

I felt way cool and ahead of my time when I saw that.

They took their pic in the other spire however, because mine wound clockwise and theirs was counter clockwise (or vice versa)

Anyways, I always felt a mild connection with that album because we (the photographer and I) "saw" the same shot yet HIS was published 14.gif lol.

10.gif

There is a double disk remastered cd out there, I can't quite recall the name, off hand, but I do believe it's called "Works".

It is excellent.

Intresting sidenote on the DSOTM album....

Alan was extremely unpleased with the outcome of his mix.

The quad version in particular.

He was on a very limited timeframe and stated that if had he the opportunity, he could have done a much better job...unlike his counterpart, Guthrie, (Arlos' brother) who mixed the more recent multichannel version.

Regards,

John.

P.S. All of APPs' albums are worth collecting. IMO.

I have most of them and enjoy them to a great degree.

Guest Anonymous

The CDs by Alan Parsons Project are all excellent and definitely worth owning in their entirety. My two favorites are

Eye In The Sky (1981) and I Robot (1984)

A very interesting series of recent interviews with Alan himself is on the Classic Albums DVD Dark Side Of The Moon concerning his role as the engineer of this recording. It also has some fascinating insights from the members of Pink Floyd.

I am a huge APP fan. I was given my first recording at 8 years old. A tape with Eye in the Sky on one side and another band "Asia" on the other side. My destiny was set. I now have all of APP's albums except turn of a friendly card. I enjoy them all.

I would recommend Eye in the Sky, as it's very approachable, quite enjoyable. From there, who knows- Gaudi maybe, I, Robot. I even have Eve, which I can't remember at the moment, I'll have to pull it out and play it again.

Hearing this stuff reminds me of when I was younger and played about 80% records to 20 % CD. Used to play all kinds of classic stuff. APP, SuperTramp, ELO, Toto, etc. I'm getting back into Vinyl now, rediscovering all this great stuff. Thanks for mentioning APP, I've pulled all my albums and plan to play them when I can.

-Jon