tube type communication receivers and listening to shortwave radio.i

also just recently bought a nikon d50 dslr and hope to get into

photograpy.theres so much to learn in that hobby that it'll take me

awhile to learn but thats half the fun.

chris

I wish you lived closer to me. I would just about give you a

Hallicrafters SX-62 I have. It needs a lot of work. I don't know if it

would be worth the trouble or not. There's more metal in it than there

is in my daughter's car. I think it weighs more too.

Bruce

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish you lived closer to me. I would just about give you a Hallicrafters SX-62 I have. It needs a lot of work. I don't know if it would be worth the trouble or not. There's more metal in it than there is in my daughter's car. I think it weighs more too.

Bruce

hi bruce,

i use to have a sx62a which was the later version.im not quite sure of the differences right now but if i remember it had something to do with the audio taps on the transformers.the sx62 was my very first receiver and i regret ever selling it.although not the most selective or sensitive receiver it's fidelity was amazing with its push pull output stage.i also liked that big dial and how only the band you were using lit up.eventually i'd like to get another one and have seen many up for sale but shipping costs have always scared me.

as far as your sx62 goes i dont know what kind of condition it's in or the operational state of it is but it probally would be worth fixing up.if you want shoot me a pm with the details and mabe we can work something out.thanks for the offer.regards,

chris

Cars:

I've had everything from Alfa Romeo to Zagato (almost). For the

past 11 years it's been a '82 Porsche 928 (5sp mit competition group

& S4 brakes) which I autocross regularly.

Antique Cars:

1933 Franklin Olympic Convertible Coupe (one of 14 known to exist). The only merican car I've ever owned.

1970 Rover 3500S (one of 1,400 imported). Currently undergoing a cosmetic restoration.

Antique Motorcycles:

1952 BMW R68 (one of maybe 35-40 in the US). First production BMW able to exceed 100 mph.

Vintage Fountain Pens:

I have a collection of about two dozen pens - the majority are circa

1925 - 1937, a few earlier, a few into the '50's. My favorites

are Parkers (8) and Wahl Eversharps (4). Use 'em everyday.

Also have a small collection of antique German drafting instruments.

And, of course, the usual things like cooking and photography.

James

Old Cars - had a 1957 Chevy years back that I did a frameoff restoration on.

Model Railroading - extensive HO collection with highly detailed models, have been published ten times in Model Railroader, Railmodel Journal and Mainline Modeler.

Audio/electronics - have a small collection of Klipsch speakers and some equipment from the 80's, handcraft reproduction speaker cabinets, build K-stack crossovers, have a 10 x 20 shop space where I rebuild pinball machine circuit boards.

Pinball - have fifteen machines, involved in all aspects of restoration, rebuild, circuit board repair, attend shows, give public seminars.

General nostalgia collecting - have some theater stuff (old restored chairs, ticket stand, velvet ropes, poster boxes, soda fountains), two Coke machines (1962 and 1969), lots of old Mad magazines, some old American Flyer trains, some old board games.

Music - have played clarinet for the better part (26 years) of my 45 years. Currently an active member in my church orchestra.

I guess I am qualified to be a geek...;>).

Chris

Hobbies:

*Audio (that's a given).

*Collecting antique tube radios (own a DIY 4-tube shortwave receiver my dad built for me).

*Bicycling.

*Photography (was a freelance wedding photographer years ago).

*Artist (was a draftsman in the Army, and a Silhouette artist at Walt Disney World for over 17 years).

Interests:

*Anything to do with manufacturing, maintaining, and playing of pipe organs (helped dad build a 19 rank American Classic-style pipe organ at home).

*Antique gas (turtleback) and steam engines (locomotives)...bet Cal Blacksmith knows what a turtleback and an articulated engine are!

*Automotive and motorcycle shows and events (love muscle cars and V-twin choppers).

*Computer-generated music (had a home studio to create MIDI files with a Roland sound module and Cakewalk sequencer).

*Air shows (enjoy old WWII bombers/fighters and today's F-18 and Stealth fighters at annual "Sun 'n' Fun Fly-in" air shows here in Lakeland).

*Cat owner (have 5 cats that are more than pets; they're part of our family)!

*Anything to do with the life and music of J.S. Bach.

*Gothic and Baroque architecture of cathedrals, concert halls, and museums.

*Stained glass (from church windows to Tiffany-style lamps).

*Mechanical/automatic watches (preferably those chronometers of Swiss maker Omega).

*Traveling (either throughout the US or Europe; was stationed in Germany for 3 years).

*Women (also a given)!

*Going to concerts (anything from AC/DC to Yes to Fleetwood Mac to The Cranberries...rock is good)!

"Vintage Fountain Pens:

I have a collection of about two dozen pens - the majority are circa

1925 - 1937, a few earlier, a few into the '50's. My favorites

are Parkers (8) and Wahl Eversharps (4). Use 'em everyday.

James"

Oh, great! The only other guy on the forum who collects fountain pens, and he lives 10 miles from me! THAT'S why I never see 'em around... ;^)

Sorry fini, but I'm not the reason.

The only pens I acquired locally were a group of about 6 pens that a

friend of mine dug out of her (deceased) parent's desk drawers after

she learned that I was interested in pens.

Luckily, that group included a circa 1925 Parker Lucky Curve vest

pocket pen in an unusual pastel dove gray (I like those little Lucky Curves), a mint c.1933 standard

Parker Vacumatic in burgundy and pearl, a c.1936 Wahl Doric in blue and

gray web pattern, and another mint c.1929(?) Wahl Eversharp in mandarin green (I'm

not sure what this one is - it's 4 1/4" closed, lever fill with a two

band, ring top cap). They were offered to me for free, but

not wanting to take advantage of a friend, I paid for them.

James