Best type of capacitors for recapping Type A Xovers?

lynnm

thirteenth reply

You have tunnel vision

Oh and here is what your first post said before the edit.

The problems and name calling began with the sixth reply to Lynn's post. If the shoe fits . . .

It's fitting that Lynn chose as his avatar a pcture of Sam Clemens. I belive it was Mark Twain who said (paraphrasing), "Better to remain silent and risk being thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

talk about name calling and throwing insults I think you need to look at your own posts a bit.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problems and name calling began with the thirteenth reply to Lynn's post. If the shoe fits . . .

It's fitting that Lynn chose as his avatar a picture of Sam

Clemens. I believe it was Mark Twain who said

(paraphrasing), "Better to remain silent and risk being thought a fool,

than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

As was often the case, Sam Clemens was quoting scripture:

Proverbs 17:28

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

Did anyone ever answer in these 17 pages:

Best type of capacitors for recapping Type A Xovers?

Methinks you might as well be asking what flavor of ice-cream is "Best" !!

To each his own I say, however- most disconcerting to me are people who profess their love for Dutch Chocolate Almond, when in fact they typically consume just plain ol' Vanilla, yet refuse to even give Pistachio a taste! :D

WopOnTour

FWIW I agree with Bob Crites. Using a capacitor kit that Bob supplied, the La Scalas I rebuilt for the high school now sound fantastic. Bob gave the same capacitors to his friend Lynn Marshall, the originator of this thread.

Unfortunately, Lynn never had an opportunity to put them into service. Since then, this thread has generated more heat than light. I've always avoided discussing politics and religion with strangers, now I guess capcaitors should be added to that list.

post-8936-1381927655948_thumb.jpg

FWIW I agree with Bob Crites. Using a capcacitor kit that Bob supplied, the La Scalas I rebuilt for the high school now sound fantastic. Bob gave the same capacitors to his friend Lynn Marshall, the originator of this thread.

Unfortunately, Lynn never had an opportunity to put them into service. Since then this thread has generated more heat than light. I've always avoided discussing politics and religion with strangers, now I guess capcaitors should be added to that list.

And what else have you tried?

I've always avoided discussing politics and

religion with strangers, now I guess capcaitors should be added to that

list.

I figure just the opposite: Better to discuss politics and religion

with strangers because what difference does it make if they get

offended?

Remember the movie, "Any Given Sunday?" This thread reminds me of why the movie had that title. Think about it, and you'll find you are all full of ... [:P]

You CAN use the A/B test and see what people discern, if anything. You WILL have to realize that when you leave variable components as FIXED constants throughout the test, your results are limited to only the fixed components. Obviously, some analysis should be given to whether changing out an otherwised fixed component will affect the test. And then, you still have to factor in the variables connected with the human brain (i.e. the placebo effect).

So, try as you might, your task will never end. Somebody will always have a better opinion in their mind.... and the beat goes on.

What really counts is marketing. If you get down to the nut-cutting here, you'll find what is most important is the ability to affect perceptions. If you can affect enough perceptions, you become influential, and when it comes to product development and marketing, that translates into $$$$$ and happy customers. In the end, I wouldn't care if my product was the best. I would only care whether more people thought it was the best and how long their belief persisted.

That's why millions of Americans pay more to buy 4-wheel drive SUV's and trucks even though they will NEVER leave the pavement. Right? That's why they buy Cowboy boots even though they'll never be walking around where there are snakes. Right? That's why they pay 3x the cost of a Toyota for a Lexus even though they are almost the identical car and both will be worth $0.00 in ten years - or real close to it. Marketing, Amigos!!!! Not science. [:P]

That's a good one!

Hey, I just thought of something. Here I am in my office, and my chair rocks. So, I sit back in it and am quiet for a minute, and I rock back and forth a little. Funny thing happened. I heard the Doppler effect of the cooling fan noise from my computer as my head moved closer-and-farther, back and forth.

Then, I thought "THIS is not the TRUE sound of that fan. What an abomination!" It made me shudder in horror to think how my movements effect my stereo listening as I listen to all my favorite tunes. Alas, moving has ruined my life for all these years, and I have never even known it!

I think what we can do is get together with Dr. Who and some other science whizzes on this forum and design and patent a device like a hearing aid. What it will do is process frequencies over short time intervals to take into account average frequencies after removing the Doppler effect. Then, it will only transmit those average frequencies through and into our ears. I don't know about you all, but I'd sure sleep better knowing my desire to move my head will no longer destroy the quality of music that the artists and producers intended me to hear.

I'm a nervous wreck...... and shaking... [;)] Think about it. Through a probe into the brain, we can also program it to filter out the sound we hear as we "crunch" on a potato chip while listening to our favorite tunes. As I have matured into a fine appreciation of audiophilism, I have long since stopped eating or drinking ("gulp") whenever music is playing.

We cannot allow music to go on being distorted by natural forces and must program around them until the battle is won! [:D]

You can do it cheaper and just get a nice pair of Sennheisers/Grado/AKG's.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/

Look at the main page for them. Tell me it's not about marketing. Giant room. Only a stereo and couch. No art, other furniture or "noisy" distractions - except of course the trim woman with the noticeable belly-button. [:)]

I'd almost try a pair and swear they were good.

By the way, they don't have the brain probe! [;)]