Klipschorns vs. Martin Logan

Macallan

I knew that would be the answer, really what i want to know is why? I currently have RF-7s and am very pleased with the sound but have heard the Khorns sound even better. My question is how much of an upgrade are the Khorns over the RF-7s and how will they outperform the MLs? Also a lot of the postings focus on Jazz, which i do not listen to, how the the Khorns sound with folk?

I have a friend I know who bought ML after Forte II.

He does not outwardly say he regretted it but the ML has very poor attack and decay performance to my ears.

No snap to snare drum and other instruments. Very passive sound.

He uses ADCOM.

RF-7 with Blueberry preamp and VRD amps would blow away any of the 8 ML listening sessions I have had.

IMHO, stay with Klipsch, unless ya go wiht their top of line 5 figure speakers. I used to have Ascent's, front, Theater 1 center, Arius 1 rears, descent sub, HT was wonderful, music klilled me, excep[ for classical, and jazz. After 6 months, I went back to Klipsch.. Hope this helps[;)]

About 5 years ago I went with my son-in-law to check out B&Ws (which he wound up buying) and Martin-Logan speakers. More than critically listened to Martin Logans.

To me, the Martin Logans (we listened to a couple of models) were totally unimpressive. In fact they gave me a headache. They seem to have no definition of space between the instruments. They distorted when you pushed them. One big annoying blurr is what I remember. And this in NYC showrooms where they were showcasing them.

THe B&Ws on the other hand are fine speakers. I remember the 801 in particular. Oodles of power and money needed but the presentation of orchestral material was superb and something I vividly remember.

I have owned the Klipsch KLF20 and the Hereseys. Both easily outperforned the Martin Logans.

Of course this is only one man's opinion. Mine.

Properly set up Khorns will rock you like no other speaker at any volume you choose to punish your ears at. For folk, you can put the artist in the room in your room with the only thing seperating you and the singer being the microphone.

I like to listen to PP&M albums on a quiet evening. WOW!!!!

Rick

They seem to have no definition of space between the instruments. They

distorted when you pushed them. One big annoying blurr is what I

remember.

===========

This comment was on the hard side of my thoughts but not untrue.

For accoustic on my Chorus IIs some of the cooler CDs are:

CSNY "4 way Street"

Michael Hedges any and all of his catalog

Crosby and Nash "Another Stoney evening"

I am a freak for the Martin guitar sound.

What are you using for amps on the RF-7?

I have Klipsch,I have Dynes. And I can tell you unless you have a very high class amp with gobs of power you will not be close to what a modest power high quality amp will give you with large horn loaded Klipsch speakers.

And I prefer my Dynaudio speakers to Martin Logan,for any genre of music.And I have a very ...very powerful amp that is much higher quality and more powerful than anything you can buy for under 10K.So get the Klipsch Horn unless you own a most potent amp right now,or prepare to be disapointed.

My two cents(worth a bit more)

I am strictly a multichannel guy with my main Home Theater listed below. I realize this is a 2-channel question, but I listened repeatedly to a 5.1 ML setup at several different stores and couldn't fathom trading my system for an equal exchange, much less 3-4 times the cost of the ML set up. I realize this is a Klipsch forum, but if I would have preferred the Martin Logans--I wouldn't be here. Insofar as the K-Horns, I don't have a room that would support them.

.And I have a very ...very powerful amp that is much higher quality and more powerful than anything you can buy for under 10K

please Share with the rest of us Audiophools... who don't have $10k in an amp ...

Cool ...!

what is it .. and what are the Spec's ...????

What is it? You are part of the audio world.You are since you belong to this forum and are an active member.

You also must have heard of Krell.Krell manufactures some of the most powerful audio amplifiers,and the most powerful amp in the world the MRA.Now I do not,and will probbably never own a MRA(short for master reference amplifier,a monoblock capable of 1KW @ 8Ohms and doubles down to 0.5Ohm delivering a claimed 16KW) but during my peak foolish spending dayshave purchased a FPB600.

FPB stands for full power balanced.It is a 600W per channel,two channel amp.And its output doubles...1200W @ 4Ohms down to two Ohms where it will deliver 2.4KW.Per channel.This amp can drive any speakers you will buy and is stable at loads nearing a short.

I was pointing this amp because to enjoy the Marting Logans fully you need powerful amps,unless delicate and low volume chamber music is what one wants to listen most of the time.

Well I pushed things a little as a simple Celeste W4250SE woild be plenty,as it delivers 250W @ 8 Ohms and 500 @ 4 Ohms and is very trasparent.

Bottom line you need to spend a few G's on powerful amps to begin to enjoy Martin Logan speakers.

PS if you find any grotesque typos...I blame my failing HP keyboard [;)]

Ok and for those old timers on this forum who wonder why I take all pics up close and never show pics of my main system...it is because I have a very unusual second hobby.Painting on the walls in my main room,yes walls.They are painted with ...well women.LOL Do not start making fun now [:$] I am a very strange person as many store owners have noticed,a bizzaroid enters our store again,leave him alone and he will serve himself.

Ok I said too much [:S]

Now move along people there is nothing to see...

I'm running a ML Depth sub...(3) 8" woofers, servo controlled and all that.....$1.8 large but IMO not worth it.......I could have gotten off cheaper and had something more powerful, but it does sound really good. I still don't know why I bought that sub, but its in there so thats it. \

Yes, this is off track

sorry

This is indeed a curious question, but a difficult one to answer since they are two very different speakers. It is curious since I have both K-Horns and ML Aerius at my house.

The K-Horns have big dynamic sound with a very accurate bass. Because of their efficiency they are easy on an amp (if it is quiet) and will reproduce any flaw in the recording and other electronics. On the down side their imaging is far from perfect (while it is not bad & most speakers have this problem anyway). Also the the midrange has some problems. If it has not already been stressed: they must be placed in a corner (or false corner).

On the other hand, the ML Aerius (I assume your candidates are roughly comparable) has imaging that is fatastic and a mid-range that is superb. They really do excel on these two counts. On the downside, the bass is weak (mine are a hybrid design) and they do not have the dynamics when played at a high volume. "dynamics" is a vague word to some, but you will know what I mean if you listen to them side-by-side. As pointed out by others, the MLs require a big amp that is capable of providing high current. Without a sufficient amp, the problems with the bass and dynamics will only be magnified. Not noted by others, the MLs (and other panel speakers) are tricky to position in a room. Positioning them is worth the effort however.

I picked up the MLs as a second system for the den with the intent of listening to mostly small ensemble classical, baroque, and early music and some folk. They do that very well. But there is more I like to listen to... Eventually I will get rid of them since they take up much space in the room (they have to be located several feet away from rear and side walls).

Good Luck and I would interested in hearing your thoughts once you get a chance to listen to them,

-Tom