Im looking for some speakers to use for parties for my college

I was thinking some used Heresy's off ebay would do the trick, but Im not sure what to look for when buying a pair. These speakers do have to be portable and hold up to some potential wear. I'm thinking about mating them with an SVS tube.

Anyway, the last few parties I have attended had the most pathetic attempt of a speaker system so im going to take charge.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hi

It all depends on the size of the room and the attendance.Personnaly the best X Mass parties i've attended were with a high powered Fm Radio station 300,000 Watts .

. The speakers were professional Studio Monitors. The DJ was the best. They new what sound was all about. Big Studio Monitors and sub woofers in stereo with that.

Loud is beautiful when it's clean.

Heresies are kinda lacking on the bass end. How big of rooms, # people will you be playing to? It's getting a bit complicated haveing a separate sub for the setup. Do you have a rack PA setup? What power amp would you be using? If you've already got the sub tube, go for it.

A pair of LaScalas would be a bit hefty to hump around, but sure you've got elevators/vans there. With 104 db/watt, they'd kick butt anywhere, especially outside. Or get an old pair of Cornwalls and a hand truck to cart em around.

Michael

I agree with Michael , La Scalas will definitely fill the bill for large parties . But for less money you should consider some used PA speakers . Some old Peavy SP1's would be great . You can beat on em' and move em' around until your hearts content , and most likely will not have any problems . Check some old music stores in your area .

Man I'm going to be burnt for what I'm about to write, but if you want easy to transport, loud and clean (for what they are... mainly LOUD), Bose 901's are hard to beat. You DO have to shove a boatload of power at them. Nobody at a party is caring that much for finesse in delivery, and they are farily close to being indestructable.

That being said, I've finally gotten rid of my 901s to someone who says he and his wife really like them.... a LOT. They are happy; I feel strangely clean. Can someone say Win/Win?[:)]

Woo

haha, no thanks on the 901's but that did make me smile. Ya,

I have been researching some new PA speakers, but they are pricy and the amp's

are even more. Thats why i thought about just getting some old Klipsch's which

have great efficiency so i dont have to have more than 60 watts per channel

and I can save some bucks on amp. I have never really been satisfied with the

bass on most parties I have been too so thats why I wanted a discrete

subwoofer. I want to invest in a PC-Ultra which will work great inside... but

outside.. well I would need about 4-8 to meet my needs, but I dont think we're

gonna do this outside cuz we dont have a cool stage or lights.

The parties are pretty big, we charge admission and all. Ill look around for

some used la scalas.

Having used the 901's in a PA system I can say that I would never recommend them for any application....ew ew ew. Over 1000W down the drain and still could never fill these rooms - not to mention how hard it was to get a decent sound, even with their fancy processing unit. At best they were good for vocals only. Wow, now that I think about it that was a good 8 years ago (making me around 13 at the time). I've learned a lot since then so perhaps I was doing something way wrong [;)] all I remember though is swapping them out for a pair of klipsch pro speakers and everything instantly sounded great.

What's the budget for this party rockin system? There are plenty of great deals for used JBL speakers on ebay all the time...pretty much any 2-way design with a 15" driver should fit the bill. If you wanted to go new, then I would highly highly recommend Carvin - where everything is factory direct, including the price [:)] They have a great lineup of self-powered mains which sound great and are very easy to implement in such a situation (you simply plug your music source directly into the speakers). You'll get 130dB peaks from them and the built in amps with their protection circuitry will make it nearly impossible to blow the speakrs - in case some drunk dude comes over and fiddles with the volume. Since I'm talking too much about them I'll just go ahead and post a link or two: [;)]

http://www.carvin.com/products/group.php?CID=APS

1540A - ($370 including shipping)

(123dB max SPL, F3 at 65Hz)

1588A - ($810 including shipping)

(132dB max SPL, F3 around 45Hz)

I think those prices are for each speaker individually...and don't forget that the amps are built-in. I have heard and even mixed once on the 1588A's and would rate them as one notch below the Mackie flagship powered mains - which is a very high rating considering the price. Heck, it's hard to find an amp capable of these levels for under $1600....let alone coupled with an active crossover!

Keep in mind that "PA" speakers are rated at half space ("outside") which is their most common application. Putting them into a smaller room and in the corners causes the -10dB points to become -3dB points due to room and boundary gains.

In college (late 70's early 80's) I had an Oldsmobile 442 convertible. I had my LaScalas which fit PERFECTLY in the back seat with the top down. The other goodies fit in my trunk.

I put on several parties at frat houses, wedding parties, socials... Had them mated with 120 wpc and also had a dbx "boom box" (the original one) in the tape loop along with their 3bx and an eq.

I charged $20/hour and also charged for setup and teardown time. They always paid (for the setup/teardown) and I always was asked to return.

LaScalas all the way babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

In college (late 70's early 80's) I had an Oldsmobile 442 convertible. I had my LaScalas which fit PERFECTLY in the back seat with the top down. The other goodies fit in my trunk.

I put on several parties at frat houses, wedding parties, socials... Had them mated with 120 wpc and also had a dbx "boom box" (the original one) in the tape loop along with their 3bx and an eq.

I charged $20/hour and also charged for setup and teardown time. They always paid (for the setup/teardown) and I always was asked to return.

LaScalas all the way babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

In the mid-70s I too had an Olds 442 (tin top) and used it to pull an 8x10 U-Haul stuffed with four Speakerlab SKhorns, a Dynaco ST-400, two Technics tables, a Sony TC-161SD cassette deck, a mixer and many records and tapes. I charged $30/hour from arrival to departure and was always asked to return and return.

I agree with the recommendation of La Scalas.

Coytee,

That is absolutely amazing to think of that car with Scalas in the back seat. I rode around with a friend who had one of those.

If you are going to go with something as big as LaScalas, I'd suggest

BEC's CornScalas. These things are KILLER and will beat the LaScala

bass all to heck.

One option, if you didn't want to carry two of those big rascals around

would be a pair of Heresy's and a single CornScala bass bin for a sub.

It is basically a 2'x2' box. Could be covered up nicely with grey

carpet and moved with recessed handles.

That would deliver chest thumping bass... and that's what people want at parties, anyway.

Here's my take: We had some killer parties at our place at UW Madison in the late 90's. Drunk people spill and bump into things endlessly, so make sure you have cabinets that aren't furniture quality. I have LaScalas now and think they'd be bass shy for SOME of the music we played. If you're using the SVS's htough, then LaScalas are easily the best choice I can think of. They're durable, don't have visible cones to get pushed in and torn by elbows, and can take some abuse on the volume. Our party room was about 600 square feet and it sounded ridiculously good and LOUD (several noise violations :) ), especially compared to what others used. We also kept our amp, mixer, and CD player in an area away from the dancing to keep beverages away.

The BEST part is I'm nearly certain you'll resell them when you're done for what you paid for them. Try and do that with another pair of "party" speakers.

BTW, American DJ's "Fog Hog" fogger was perfect for that size room. Couple that with a mirror ball, strobe, and another DJ light of your choice and you're set. Damn, I miss college

KP301's are industrial CW's basically. Another pair of older models just sold for $450. These are pretty pricey.

I'd still prefer the LS. The woofer is impregnable, even if you spill beer in the W bin it won't reach the cone. And that 400hz horn just rocks. It's a better long throw if you're outdoors as well. And easier to biamp cause you can get to the xover easily.

Michael

Man I'm going to be burnt for what I'm about to write, but if you want easy to transport, loud and clean (for what they are... mainly LOUD), Bose 901's are hard to beat. You DO have to shove a boatload of power at them. Nobody at a party is caring that much for finesse in delivery, and they are farily close to being indestructable.

That being said, I've finally gotten rid of my 901s to someone who says he and his wife really like them.... a LOT. They are happy; I feel strangely clean. Can someone say Win/Win?[:)]

Woo

Woo,

Whew, that was close. Eloquently constructed, big time, dodge.

BS