Auto-transformer T2A or #3619/3636?

DizRotus

Type AA crossovers are a desirable breed. The 3619's are only $60 for the pair. You should be able to sell the Type A's for the $60 to cover a new set of 3619's.

Chris

PS - somweone had a set of ALK's built by AL for sale with Hovlands for $400. If someone would step up to the plate and buy my K Horns, I would buy your Type A's to rebuild and supply with the speakers.

The new ones are wound tighter, but according to Al and Bob an old T2A will perform just as well as a new 3619 or 3636. Since it's one of the few things they agree on it's probably a pretty safe bet that it isn't anything to fret about.:) I personally prefer my squawker a bit hot, and I always end up back on the 4 and 0 setting -- I never use the 'X' tap.

Are these autoformers custom parts or off the shelf? I'm wondering if one exisits that will do the job in a Super AA network but that has taps in finer increments between 3.8 and 4.6? Such as in .2db increments. I suppose that would definitely be custom, wouldn't it? How hard is it to create those type of increments in the circuit itself?

My 3636 Autotransformer will do 1 db increments from 1 to 12 db, but has to have connections on the input and output changed to change attenuation in 1 db increments. Going to even smaller increments would make the manufacture of these autotransformers more complex and more expensive.

Bob Crites

Shawn,

I just hooked up a 3636 on the bench. I put in one watt sine wave at 100 hz to 1 khz in 100 hz increments. I looked at the output of tap 4 (3 db) on my spectrum analyzer. Output terminated into a 16 ohm resistor. I saw no distortion at any of those frequencies down to my noise floor which is about 65 db below the signal peak.

Bob Crites

I don't believe you will get any distortion through a 3619, 3636 or T2A no matter what power level you put into it until you reach core saturation. Distortion at low power levels is usually a product of poorly designed solid state amps. Also, 60 or 120 Hz power line hum from old power supply filter caps at low power levels will start giving you high distortion readings on simple distortion analyzers that are based on notch filters like the HP330 or HP334. That won't fool a FFT spectrum analyzer like Bob and I use though.

AL K.

Just a couple of comments.

re: 0.2 dB increments for adjusting levels. This is a very small value, certainly less than perceptible. I can not imagine that 0.75 dB increment would not be fine. Besides when you increase the resolution (smaller increments) you will lose the overall range, unlesss there are many, many taps.

re: distortion in the autoformer. I can not believe there would be a problem. This is a passive device and you would need to do something very unreasonable to make go into some sort of non-linear region.

Good luck,

-Tom

Tom,

Good points. But one thing I found playing with the Super AA network is that as you change the squawker settings either up or down it seems to also affect the woofer in the opposite direction. Maybe Dean or Al can comment on that. But as I made the squawker hotter, the woofer output seems to decrease. So, there is definitely a delicate balance there. I proved to myself that I could easily hear the difference between the -6.7db and -6.2 db. settings. Very easily, because you are affecting both the woofer and squawker, the changes are readily apparent.

Losing the overall range is not a problem because the useable range is pretty narrow and probably half the taps are already outside of the useable range as is today. (disclaimer: my application is laScalas)

Mark,

Adjusting the squawker up and down using the transformer is simply adjusting the relative level of woofer to the squawker. The actual loudness is adjusted with the preamp or receiver volume control. Your brain decides how lound it is by the midrange. If you change the mdrange with a transformer tap change, you will compensate by changing the volume control to put it back where it was. What's left after all this is the level of the woofer! The tweeter is seconday and will probably only need changing of it's way off.

AL K.