OT starting my own business

travisc

Well put a three month down payment on a two bay garage in a great location. As soon as I get a tax number I will be a small business owner.

I got so much work to do I think I am going to cry[:'(]

have been an auto tech for 15 years and am tired of running a shop for someone else.

I got tired of the Auto biz ... years ago, Travis...

" I need my Car, NOW"

"you didn't fix anything"

"I'll pay you next week, ok"

"That scratch wasn't there yesterday"

"you burned all my gas"

"whadda ya mean my car won't pass inspection"

wishing you the best of luck ...get a helper soon, you can't do it all

the best advice ...... from my uncle that i worked for....

" NO CASH, NO CAR "

[:D]

yup, I have heard all those except you burned all my gas.

Already got a helper and a partner.

all I need is someone feeding me work and dealing with all the crap, customers and calls. a helper for oil changes and inspections and a little luck. I have been in this area for 7 years now and my customers follow me when I go to a new shop. I am active in volunteer work and a member of AA, (which is actually a burden more times than not), word spreads, unforunately I suffer from nice guy syndrome, thats where my partner comes in[6]. Matial arts instructor with a house full of guns, guitars and fighting weapons, licensed D&A therapist. He doesnt suffer from the can't say no problem that I have

I feel good about it

Ditto on Duke's last comment. Do a good job, take the time to explain and educate a customer, and charge a going price - no favors when it comes to business. An exception to the favor rule is a 3-minute quick fixer that costs you 3-minutes and a 25-cent part. That brings good will when those rare opportunities present. Of course, always be ready to negotiate - but never to the extent where you know before you start that you won't make enough money and will be trading "making a decent living" for "charity."

talk about your double edge sword...

have had my own business for 10 yrs now, wouldn't go back unless i had to, but be prepared to work.

be fair, be smart, and you should be fine. listen to your customers, really listen, think, then reply. there is a lot more to it than fixing the car sometimes.

oh yea get the name of a good tax person and a great lawyer, they might come in handy.

best of luck to ya in the years to come.

rock on

yes we will have a shuttle or a loner car. spent the whole day cleaning, more cleaning needs to be done then painting, a compressor and on on on

awesome location, guy who owned it made a mess of his business, hope it wont affect us too much.

It was kindof a cool feeling to pull a chair in to the shop and think about the whole thing.

mitchel software wraps the shop all in one. ie; repair data, scheduling, estimating and financial. Its expensive but neccesary.

worked flat rate in a volvo dealership, turned me into an animal, I work flat rate at my job now, I have mellowed some since then.

gave my two weeks this morning, went better than I thought it would

Keep good books. "You can't make what you can't measure because you don't know when you've got it made" (a quote from PWK, I assume original).

DRBILL

Very good advice. Add to that the fact that time is money. No productivity means no money to take home; it all goes to pay overhead. You must actively manage the bottom line each day, week and month.

Bill