Vinyl ....goes for a final Spin ....

Duke Spinner

I love vinyl at my friend Tims aka KaiserSETsays house on his BAT/B&W/Thorens rig. Vinyl at my house is unbearable my room needs treatments and my turntable needs to be wall mounted due to too much vibration. I mean I can't even walk across the room without a skip uggg. That being said my turntable sounded grand at the GoatRoaper in HOPE with everyone elses tube gear : ). I'll hangon to my TT and what little vinyl I have till I can get my issues resolved.

For those going off of vinyl send it to me!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, I seem to remember all of the following happening to me when I used to

listen to records:

1....Excessive turntable hum at loud volumes

2....Excessive hiss at loud volumes

3....Pops and crackles on new records

4....Record holes off center causing excessive wow

5....Warped records causing wow an distortion

6....Record holes not big enough and using a pencil to expand it

7....Interference from the local ham operator---I could hear him plainly

through the cartridge (Shure V15 111)

8....Bass rolled off about 12 db like "Sound of Music"

9....High frequency transient response rounded off--instead of a click you hear a dlick.

This was a side by side comparison of the same artists , same album on CD and record. You can't hear the difference unless you do a side by side.

10....CBS test records only good for 10 plays---I still have them

11....What have I forgot?

JJK

You just haven't tried a good quality LP. [:P]

I'm blushing[:o] Seti, you are too kind! I have to give all the credit to my awesome wall mounted rack and of course that little BAT VK-P5 pre[:D]

Analog is where your music starts out and really for the best sound where it ends or comes out those speakers. I will never deny that digital is the most user friendly format on the planet but falls way short of a good analog rig and cleaning is essential but well worth the time and effort in my book.

Sure I'm a 50 year old neanderthal but my ears have never lied to me and I enjoy the vinyl ritual. In our fast paced I can't wait world today I find vinyl a peaceful retreat. I'll take a ritual and physical lobor to flip to the other side over convenience and laziness any day O'the week[:@]

Don't get me wrong here folks because listening to music anytime anywhere comes first and foremost for this music lover and I do have a MD Recorder (Compressed anyone) for my portable Sharp and Blaukpunt car rigs as well as my mini pod but when I'm really serious it's back to the proverbial table[:D]

Keep rockin' gang and great thread Duke[;)]

There's been many a time when my idiot brother has walked into my music room and said; "Wow! that's a great sounding CD, man". The reality, of course, is that I've been playing vinyl. The look of shock and horror on his face everytime I've revealed the true source of those wonderful sounds is a treasure. I love the sound of vinyl. But the less I've paid for it, the better. I do admit that modern CD recordings have improved. Many sound nearly as good as vinyl. Some still sound like crap, though.

In relation to longevity of vinyl, I've got many albums that were pressed in the mid to late 1950's. They still sound great. Some have some surface noise, but the music still shines through. I wonder whether any of my CD's will last that long.

That bronze bearing seems like and expensive piece of voodoo to me. How do you like the damper? Is it the black plastic trough deal that you fill with the goo and attach the paddle to the arm? I picked one of those up with an 3009 II once although never installed it.

The bronze bearing is no bigger an "upgrade" than going with the SME OE steel bearing--but both are an improvement over the plastic bearings found in later models of the 3009/3012.

Allan,

The SME OE steel bearing costs about as much as the bronze bearing. Considering it's a chunk of plastic or steel sitting on a cast, V-shaped frame, I don't see how it can make much of a difference. SME said the plastic bearing lowered resonance which would seem to make sense, but common internet chat says it was a cost saving measure. I have 3009's with steel and plastic bearings. Never had them set up on the same table with the same cartridge though. I'll have to do that some day when I'm really bored and see what I can tell.

Have you ever removed one of those bearings Allan? What fun putting it back on heh?

And let's not forget to compare apples to apples when running CD's vs. LP's. CD's these days are so chock-full of compressed garbage, it almost kills me.

I thought of this as I reflected on my quick get-together with my nephew the other day. I told him to come by and hear my new killer speakers and invited him to bring a CD so he could hear them with music he likes. He brought some of that head-banger stuff, and when I put it in, the volume went up and right back down. Not only was it objectionable from a musical "taste" perspective (which I am tolerant enough to bear for good fun), but I really feared my KHorns wouldn't be able to take it at the volumes I play at with classic rock. It was that awful.

Yowser ....!!!!

all I meant was ,, Vinyl ain't workin' for me .....[:(]

things sure get heated over Formats....

virtually NOTHING I want to listen to .. is on Vinyl

I am happy with the 30-40dB dynamic range I get on My recorded CD's of Live music

ifn' I feel like an Analog Fiix .....

I crank up my Otari 1/2" tape machine....I have literally, 1000# of tape

1/2" Tape ..... Rocks ....[Y]

Perhaps the younger guys dont remember rushing out to buy this great new format, spending more than a weeks pay for it and thinking they must have done something wrong because it sounded like total BS? I admit that CD's have come a long way but they still have their hiccups. Diana Krall's "Look of Love" comes to mind. Compression, not a good thing.

C'mon , Jeff .....

All that Vinyl ....

was First .....1/2" Tape .......[:D]

Just kidding. My bro' brought back a top of the line Pioneer 10" reel from Germany w/his LaScalas many years ago. That was a good reel. It's where I learned about all that great classic rock out there as a young boy.

I'm still waiting for that chip-loaded component out there somewhere to be found.

There's been many a time when my idiot brother has walked into my music room and said; "Wow! that's a great sounding CD, man". The reality, of course, is that I've been playing vinyl.

That is not saying much as you said yourself, your brother is an idiot.

Hey! My brother resembles that remark! [;)]

Have you ever removed one of those bearings Allan? What fun putting it back on heh?

It takes about 90 seconds to remove the bearing.

And about 3 hours to install the new one.

I have used A LOT of 3009/3012 arms over the years and currently have a 3012R model with the bronze bearing (before the price went through the ROOF a couple of years ago--they're CRAZY expensive now).

I think that with the SPU, the metal (bronze or steel) bearing offers a provides a sharper focus--slight improvement, but THERE.

Hey Kaiser.

Clark Johnsen is a friend of mine. Not close friend, but a

friend. I bought a pair of VMPS Supertower II A/R Special Edition

speakers (which are even larger than their name) from him at his old

Listening Studio address on Stiles Street in Boston back in, uh,

88?. Sat there a few times while he played various speakers that

were under development, listened to his various (very various) digital

rigs, lots of vinyl. He always got apoplectic when I said that

sometimes (not all the time, but a lot) I liked the CD's better.

He did have some great old vinyl that sounded tee-rific, though.

Hello Ray

I'm glad to see you knew I was not coming at you with any malice just always love ribbing folks dead set on any format! I do love my vinyl but as you can see I have a very good digital rig and I'm always trying to get the best out of it also.

This is a great hobby and I would never belittle anyones system or personal choice as the main thing is you listen to what you like on what you like. Are your VMPS models the ones with a bazillion drivers running up and down the face of the speaker? Did those also incorporate Ribbons? I'm purely going by visual memory here so I may be off in left field somewhere!

I'm sure as I he was apoplectic to you especially if you said you liked those CD's with such conviction as apposed to some old vinyl that just sounded tee-rific which sounds more sophmorish! Like you I stand behind my belief and ears that vinyl well recorded, good plastic material cut on a good lathe and on reasonable playback gear sounds far superior to the hard edge of digital but alas each to his own and that is what makes this a great Country.

I hope I have not offended you or anyone for that matter[:)]