Vinyl ....goes for a final Spin ....

Duke Spinner

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..........I am happy with the 30-40dB dynamic range I get on My recorded CD's of Live music..........

I'm sure that you use premium media but I wasn't aware of how short the lifespan is for burned CDs.

http://computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/storage/story/0,10801,107607,00.html

No ..

i use really cheap media, 'cause I give Sooooo many away ....

no, Sputs ..

live to a laptop.....

the tape issue is a bummer major ...

i have lost tons of stuff like Wishbone Ash, Jetro Tull, made right off the board years ago

Ampex Grand Master ...if ya bake it an oven, you can play it once, if the backing holds ...

otherwise, it's bad history

and , that was Expensive tape

• Moderators

Sorry to hear your lp's are going, he must be a great friend.

You are almost right about all lp's started off as 1/2" tape. Actually, depending on the year, studio, etc., it was recorded on 1/4, 1/2, 1 or 2" tape. Just about all of it was then then mixed down and mastered onto 1/4 two track Ampex 456 or 499. From there a 2nd generation "master" was made which went to the cutter/lathe operation or a prerecorded reel to reel facility.

I think everyone is wrong, good quality precorded R2R at 7.5 IPS sounds better then the same LP or CD. But don't tell anyone, prerecorded R2R is still pretty reasonably priced.

One day I hope we can get forum member impressions on a comparision between LP/CD/Pre-recorded R2R. Maybe at an Indy treck. It would be interesting to see what everyone thought with a blind A/B/C test.

Travis

I've been eyeing RTR players lately in the second hand music stores around here, may just have to pick one up.

One thing that comes to mind amidst the mention of "not going back to vinyl" or "moving forward to cd"...seems like putting all your eggs in one basket. One does it have to be one or the other...I guess if your not spinning it, yes that makes sense.

For me, I NEED my vinyl rig.....how many out of print wonders will I find in the next year? For collectors, vinyl will NEVER be outdated as long as we are looking for pieces to archive.

I have the HTPC hooked into the tube pre and tube Quicksilver amps. Old tech & new tech in symbiosis. The TT lets me archive those juicy rare 45's I pull off of Ebay. The RTR will let me play my uncle's old reels and see what all the huff is about. I am not going to archive every LP but a terabyte of cd's and some choice vinyl as I see fit....why not?

Best of both worlds....

JCatuccio aka Dr. Cilantro

Posted Image