misuse of my web site photos on eBay - HELP!

Let me say that I think this whole thing got way out of hand. I'd like to point out the downside.

Basically, the seller may, MAY, have done something wrong. But let's not blow it out of proportion. He may be just ignorant. He picked up a photo with no copyright notice and used it.

He may have not responded, thinking he has inadvertently created a hornet's nest. So he doesn't respond. Why get into a fight?

But then, someone asks all his buddys to harrass him. Some of these people even talk about physical violence. Then there accusations of fraud. And all this is being circulated around the Klipsch website. Klipsch interests are not served by this at all.

The point is that at worst, there was, perhaps, one questionable character at the start, the seller. He might have a good defense to the many accusations.. Hey, I made a mistake. Then all these creeps came in. They're talking kneecaps, fraud. Flooding me with guff. What's going on?

The bottom line is that in many instances there is one guy a little off base at the start. Tempers flare. Then the righeous people become bigger horses asses than the first guy. That is bad. And it is happening here.

Naturally, I believe Al is a good guy. And I think you'all are good guys. None the less, look how the tables could be turned.

Best,

Gil

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize Gil, but I disagree with you. eBay fraud is so out of control that people need to stick together and bury anyone engaged in unethical behavior. No one makes that kind of "mistake". He could easily have said, "Not the actual speakers, but mine are identical to them." The high bid was a smart move -- it forces the seller to either answer email to offer up explanation or kill the auction.

Gil,

You may be right that the guy was just stupid, but stupidity has it's consequences! In this case an innocent buyer would be biding money on a set of speakers that he would never get. It is DECEPTION or at least misrepresentation, and I have been draged into it kicking and screaming. You are a lawyer and should be able to see the legal side of this. Tell me how that thinking is flawed.

BTW: As of now (6:30 AM EST) the listing is GONE!

AL K.

I'm with Dean and cueman on this one: BUST HIS CHOPS. Even if he has the Belles and this auction is legit, it's WRONG.

I hate scammers. And some of these clowns are BLATENT. They frequently hijack accounts from good honest sellers by conning accountholders through spoof emails asking for passwords.

If you want to see literally dozens of scams in one place, try an ebay search for Super Bowl tickets. You'll see about 80 auctions - about 70% which are fake. Sellers hijack accounts, then try to get buyers to email the hijacker outside ebay by listing an email that bypasses ebay. Every year leading up to the game, I read/see stories in the news of people who got taken in these scams. These auctions are a very good "how to look for ebay scams" primer - just for giggles, see if you can guess the real from the fakes. Every known "scamming" technique is on display in those Super Bowl ticket auctions.

I had not heard of the "kiting audio gear" concept before - interesting. Some people will do anything for a buck these days, huh?

No disrespect intended Gil, but I agree with Dean. Simpy TOO many scumbags out there trying to fleece someone. Again, reminding that I'm a non violent type... I'd have little issue seeing "these people" (as defined as a thief who is using various innocent ingredients for purpose of baking their cake of deception... aw heck, I might apply it to ANY thief, why limit it to ebay)

Anyways, I'd have no qualms in an old fashioned public canning. I understand (via Meagain) that when ebay terminates a listing the lister isn't charged. Frankly I think that's too bad. I think if ebay upheld their listing charges (after all, wasn't that part of the sevice rendered?) some of the idiots might go away. not all, but some.

Guys,

Some idiot who doesn't know the difference between a Belle Klipsch and a Klipsch "La Belle" has stolen a photo from my personal web site to represent HIS speakers for sale! Please harrass this clown until he removes it! He does NOT have my permission!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-La-belle-speakers_W0QQitemZ6029466318QQcategoryZ317QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HELP!

Thank you!

Al K

Lots of scammers out there,What kills me are the scammers that keep on listing RSW 15 and pair of rf-7,every time they have a different member name with feed back.

I'm with Dean and cueman on this one: BUST HIS CHOPS. Even if he has the Belles and this auction is legit, it's WRONG.

I hate scammers. And some of these clowns are BLATENT. They frequently hijack accounts from good honest sellers by conning accountholders through spoof emails asking for passwords.

If you want to see literally dozens of scams in one place, try an ebay search for Super Bowl tickets. You'll see about 80 auctions - about 70% which are fake. Sellers hijack accounts, then try to get buyers to email the hijacker outside ebay by listing an email that bypasses ebay. Every year leading up to the game, I read/see stories in the news of people who got taken in these scams. These auctions are a very good "how to look for ebay scams" primer - just for giggles, see if you can guess the real from the fakes. Every known "scamming" technique is on display in those Super Bowl ticket auctions.

I had not heard of the "kiting audio gear" concept before - interesting. Some people will do anything for a buck these days, huh?

Ditto that, I'm with Dave. I hate scum bags and scammers. I'm glad you guys ruined his apparent scam.

On the whole, I too respectfully disagree with Gil, but I agree that talk of physical violence was inappropriate.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Even after giving the seller the benefit of the doubt and assuming that he has two Belles to sell, he was wrong. To go into specific detail about serial numbers, drivers, etc. and not make it clear that the photo does NOT depict the speakers offered is WRONG. He deserved to be taught a lesson.

FWIW, I doubt that he truly has la belles to sell. I vote scam.

wait wait but when were using klipsch pictures and logos from

copyrighted stuff its more along the lines of sports wearables. That we

show our support for the team, company, tv show, etc. What we are point

the finger at is blatant misrepresentation. When we use the logo we are

not passing off someone else's personal speakers. We support our

company when we use the logos. He is trying to profit off it. Kinda

like scalpers.... that wait outside to sell tickets to sold out games.

Even worse is he is selling an item that is not his nor doubtable that

he actually has the item. Which is what is called fraud, passing off an

item as something it is not or rightfully his.

Guys,

The comments about the use of logos and copyrighted stuff is quite true. You really should get permission befor using stuff like that. I nearly got in troulbe that way when developing magazine advertising for the filter software I sell. I had tried to use the line "The Rolls-Royce of filter software" to promote Dr. Szentirmai's S/FSILYN program. I found a nice drawing of a Roll-Royce car on the net and had the artwork all done incorporating it. I then decided to contact the source of the Rolls drawing. They said yes, if I sent them about $2000! The Rolls Royce got back to me with an emphatic NO! I was not to use thier name in any way! So.. It was back to squiare one! The use of Homer Simpson is an example of something that could casue troulbe if the copyright owners get wind of it. I understand Disney once started legal action against some place that was displaying Mickey Mouse on the side of their building. They do have the right to do that. I think having official copyright registration with the Library of Congress is also needed to do legal action. My program PCFILT is copyright registerd BTW.

Al K.

This is what I'm talking about. A third suggestion that violence is appropriate. Even if in jest.

I thinking about posting a definition of vigilantee-ism. (sp) and see if anyone recognized it.

I'm more reminded of a Twilightt Zone. There is a power failure in a suburban neighboorhood. People get scared. Could it be the alien invaders?

Rod Sterling does a stand up with a trademark smoke. Essentially saying it was a nice place to live . . . "until the monsters arrived."

The good people are turned into monsters, suspecting each other of being in league with the aliens. Lynching is suggested. At the last minute, the power comes back on and people realize how silly they've been.

The punchline at the end is that there ARE alien invaders watching. They conclude that the humans are so crippled by fears over small matters that they will be easy to invade and defeat.

Smile,

Gil