Tubes better than SS??? BAH!

SilverSport

Well...sell me on tubes please...I remember listening to my Dad's tube monaural Sherwood in the '60's...why would I want it today??? I have Heritage speakers and McIntosh (MAC 1900 and MA-6200) SS so what am I missing???

I have to say that I am very happy with the sounds as I am hearing them now so what would be the reason for finding a rebuilt Scott or Mac tubes or Merlin or...

Help me out here...am I missing something??? Should I be taking the next step as many of you have and move up to the tube?

Thanks for any help and your thoughts.

Bill

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I asked because I would like to hear from your experience and of those who like myself don't know that there is another, more better place called tube land...some on here have gone kicking and screaming to tubes from SS only to find that WOW! Tubes really are better...I just don't want to have to plunk down thousands of dollars to find that...well it is a bit better but...

Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

Bill

Does anyone near you have a top notch tube system that you could audition? Everyone has different ears and you maybe missing nothing at all it's very hard to say. I think there are many ways to skin a cat. I think SS gear can and does sound very good if mated properly and of good quality. I just think $ for $ tubes out do SS with Klipsch or other horn speakers. I also like the way a good tube setups seems to present the music with a three dimensional layered

effect this I have never heard out of any $ amount SS system (yet that is I'm far from hearing them all).

keep in mind your not going to be able to go out and buy $500 tube amp and expect it to beat out your MC gear in every respect. Kind of like comparing a Chevy Cavalier to a Rolls Royce if you know what I mean. Now compare a $500 tube amp to a $500 SS amp and the Tubes will win hands down. You need to at least get into some mid level tube gear to make the comparison even close. I've had a few people in the last 6 month take there all SS system and just insert a tube amp in with the HT receiver as a preamp and like I warned them right from the start they heard no real advantage which did not surprise me at all. Another huge mistake people make when trying tube gear is the buy some warn out 50 year old vintage amp still 100% bone stock and think there listening to it like it should really sound this almost NEVER is the case. I mean some of them that have been stored perfectly and used sparingly might operate pretty good but this is not common at all.

The real truth is you will never know until you try it yourself even listening to another persons system for a few hours isn't going to be the final word once you get to a certain quality of sound it takes time to let the new sound grow on you and listening to pick out and decide if its your cup of tea.

Craig

Thanks Craig, Duke, that makes a lot of sense...I am just trying to get a sense if I should try out some stuff in tube or not...I understand it needs to be tube amp and pre to get a better "feel" for tubes but was wondering how much I "need" to spend to get the "tube experience."

I have only had the Mac stuff for about half a year...same with the K'Horns in their current state so...

Thanks and keep it coming, please.

Bill

Personally I think everyone should give tubes a try at least

once. I was convinced after the first ten seconds that I wouldn't

be going back to SS but this is just my ears.

What is your ideal budget to spend on everything? This would be helpful knowledge for recommendations.

One thing I can say for sure is that tube rectification is where it's at.

I did not believe that tubes could be better than good SS either but for grins I gave it a try. I got a Dynaco ST-70 for around $300.00 and rebuilt it myself with the best components I could find, including an all triode driver board, a new power supply capacitor board, and KT-88 beam power tubes. I was shocked that the tube system blew doors on my crown. The Crown is now in the basement.

I'd hardly call the MAC 1900 a Rolls Royce. Not to sound condesending, (and I'm not trying to be) but that is definately not the best SS Mac gear. It wouldn't take too much of an investment in tubes to top those. Are you using the phono section on the MAC? Vintage integrated is a good place to start. I replaced a C-26 and a MC-250 w/ a rebuilt Scott 299A mkII about 2 years ago (on Khorns). Exactly what Craig said. It's the 3 dimensional sound that is sooooo heavenly. My girlfriend and I were listening this past weekend (she hardly has golden ears; 85% def in her right ear) and she was completely blown away by what we heard. She said people just don't know what they're missing. The masses are usually content on blasting their music trying to get the dynamics that tubes bring you effortlessly.

It's been pretty addicting for me. After the 299A, I sold the McIntosh gear and I bought a 299B and a 99D both rebuilt by Craig. I use those 3 amps in a 5.1 HT/SACD/DVDA setup. The 299A pushes R & L Khorns, 99D on a Heresy center, and the 299B pushes Heresy rears. It sounds amazing. Too bad SACD and DVDA is dead. I also have a 272 that's off getting repaired, that will run Belles in another 2 ch setup and a JM Peach w/ a pair of monoblocks (eventually) that will run LaScalas in my bedroom.

You will definately enjoy the music with tubes. Do you need tubes to enjoy the music? I sure do.

When I switched from my dad's old Marantez 8B vacuum tube amp to my SS McIntosh 250 I missed buring my fingers on the hot tubes every time I tried to adjust the bias pots. I also missed the wurrr of the little electric fan I had to use to cool the stupid thing. Besides that, I missed NOTHING! I wish I had the old Marantz back now though. I could sell it to some vacuum head for $2000 plus! All I got for it when I traded it was what it really worth at the time, $180!

Al K.

Uh ohhhhh...hornets nest was stirred...for the record I never said my Mac Gear was the Rolls Royce...I only added that it was Mac Gear cuz some people think Mac Gear sounds similar wheter it be tubes or SS and I wondered if that was so from those that know...

Thanks for the input and all the nice offers to listen...this place is great!

Bill

Thanks for starting this thread. I must say I'm a bit skeptical myself. Also worried about all the "warmth" comments. Worried about too much as that can't be a good thing either. Worried it would be too colored in the opposite direction. Dark, Less detailed?

Also, would there be any value in having a tube CD player hooked up to a SS amp? Or would the SS negate the effects of the player?

And, if one went with a tube pre hooked to an amp that had an integrated pre - the tube pre would be useless - yes?

And I can't fathom listening to tubes at another's home even with the same speakers/x-overs, because the room, and god only knows what other gear is involved. CD player, etc. To me, it almost would seem a waste of time?

I thought tubes didn't have the guts that SS has. Raw power. Can't you just dial in some warmer sound with a EQ/processor? Seems to work with mine. I also thought the warm sound from tubes was mostly "fuzz", kinda like overdriven amps. Distortion?? I'm open to the idea of liking tubes, I just need to hear what everybody is talking about I guess.