Hawaii?

m00n

Moon,

Can you find your earlier thread on this? I know, that's asking the impossible with the current search mechanism.... Anyway, I don't think there was any followup in that thread -- if you want some info, should I do the most common 4, or selected 1, 2, or 3 islands?

There was a very recent thread on Maui, which should be very much around, and Maui is an outstanding isle. Forum members have a wealth of info on Hawaii.

Take a big plane like a 777, get an aisle seat in the middle so you can't really look down, and reasonably far forward, and you'll be fine.

Larry

Maui was great. Went in May. Weather was beautiful. It showered probably 20-25 minutes a day. Just great weather! Can snorkle right off the beach of the hotel and see full spectrum of coral reefs and all kinds of varieties of colors of fish. Even sea turtles.

The town that starts with an "L" on the west coast has great shopping - I mean great. The road to Hannah was twisting/winding/narrow and very scenic. Traveling on past Hanna toward the south and then back west was desolate and beautiful (it showed the "desert" side of the island with great coastal formations.

The Helicopter ride over West Maui Mountains and over Molokai was great. Saw the Jurassic falls (same water falls as shown in Jurassic Park, the movie) and lots of wild goats frolicking in herds over the maintaintops.

In the Western Maui mountains, the state park containing the IO Needle (a formation) was nice (with some walking trails).

Getting up REAL early before sunrise to drive to the top of Haleakala crater to watch the sunrise was nice. It's cold up there no matter how warm it is at the base.

I liked Maui. It wasn't too crowded. It was quiet, and we had fun. Haven't been to any other islands.

We stayed in Kaanapali Village. We liked it there. Not high scale, but you exit the door onto the yard - both front and back. Right on the beach.

We saw a couple of whales from the beach. That was a sight! Apparently, we were lucky to see whales in May as they are supposed to have left Hawaii in late April - I think.

Ahhh Hawaii

Love the place. Been there about 6 times in the last 20 years. Maui is very cool and the city with the "L" is calle Lahiana ( don't know if thats how you spell it). If you go to to Maui then you need to go out to Molokini for diving or snorkling. It's about 10 miles off the coast and is absolutly beautiful. Maui has it all.

The big island is in my opinion is for old folks. Stayed in Kona for 10 days and the place shuts down by 9pm :(

Best islands my wife and I have been to was Fiji, freakin awesome!

I've been there about 20 or so times mostly on business and always to Oahu. If I were to go back, which I will, it will be to either Kawaii or Maui. Plan on snorkeling at a minimum you could learn to Surf when you go. Make sure you go to a lu'au ... lots a fun. Ummm... Play golf jeesh there is so much to do.

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Honolulu is like Chicago with palm trees. Hookers are everywhere and aggressive. Germaine's "too good to miss" Luau http://www.best-luaus.com/Germaines%20Luau/; MISS IT! The entertainment is mediocre and the food is dreadful. Avoid poi at all costs. If the natives had deployed poi properly, Europeans would have never returned and theyd have had their paradise to themselves.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If you see an ABC store, then you know that youre not lost, because another ABC store is in the next block and the next block, etc.

Once away from Honolulu Hawaii is fantastic. Enjoy.

m00n: Gonna try a plane on for size, eh? You'll love it!

Went there in 1988 to 4 islands, Hawaii, Maui, Oahu and Kauai

Learned that it usually rains the most on the east side of the islands, so stay on the middle or west side.

Hawaii: Check out the Kilauea Volcano - Stay in Kailua-Kona. It rains too much in Hilo. Snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay. Marlin fishing off Keahole (caught a 5-foot spearfish)

Maui: Check out Mt. Haleakala (volcano) (0 to 10,000 feet above sea level in 26 minutes) and the Iwo Needle. We stayed in Wailea at the Intercontinental hotel. The area was a golfing mecca. Don't do the horrible drive to Hana and the 7 pools unless you are into self-torture and you don't mind waisting a day. Instead, buy your wife some bling at the wonderful jewelry shops in Lahaina.

Oahu: Very busy and city-like. We stayed in Waikiki Beach at the Hilton Rainbow Tower. Don't miss Pearl Harbor and the memorial, or the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Kauai: The Garden Island. The wettest spot on earth (over 700 inches of year per year). Got allergies? Avoid this place. My allergies went nuts! Most peaceful of the islands and mostly off-limits to the public. We stayed in Lihue. Cocoa Palms is now gone, but there is plenty more to see. Check out a helicopter tour of the Waimea Canyon. Awesome! Also, the Fern Grotto. Watch out for sharks. Not a real friendly beach.

Tips: Bring a camera and a videocam because there is so much to film. Bring LOTS of money. Everything is VERY expensive, which is why we now go to the Caribbean: It's cheaper. Have a great time. It's the trip of a lifetime.

One more thing: POI SUCKS!

I can't agree with Diz. If we planted palm trees here in Chicago, it would not look like Honolulu. Hiz Honors (Daley I and II) would have tried it.

I went once on vacation a very long time ago on a budget charter trip; the type you see in newspapers. We stayed at a small hotel in Honolulu, lots of airline people there. We ate at cheap restaurants. Took scuba lessons. Saw the Harbor. Lots to do and for not very much money.

My thought is that costs ramp up very quickly if you do a beachfront hotel and a tour of all the islands in style.

I later got back on business and stayed at a big resort. Very expensive. This was in early January. It seems this is their slack period. Many people visit for a week during Thanksgiving to New Years. There may be some good deals for early January.

Gil

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Honolulu is like Chicago with palm trees. Hookers are everywhere and aggressive. Germaine's "too good to miss" Luau http://www.best-luaus.com/Germaines%20Luau/; MISS IT! The entertainment is mediocre and the food is dreadful. Avoid poi at all costs. If the natives had deployed poi properly, Europeans would have never returned and theyd have had their paradise to themselves.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If you see an ABC store, then you know that youre not lost, because another ABC store is in the next block and the next block, etc.

Once away from Honolulu Hawaii is fantastic. Enjoy.

You may be close to describing Waikiki, but Honolulu has been around a lot longer and if you ask me is a different city than Waikiki, which was developed for tourists from the word go. I saw the Vandals a couple of years ago at a nice small venue, and it was hardly mediocre. My point is that it is wrong to confuse the small bit that is Waikiki with the rest of Honolulu. As for poi, well it makes wheat paste glue sound good.