Chicago MC30's anyone?

kev313

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, given the interest, I suppose it's time to solve the mystery - I am the purchaser of the MC30's. I am understandably very pleased - but I am also a bit "down" given the animosity shown here.

This was an offer very typical of Klipsch forum people. These could have been offered at many other sites for more money - and Kevin chose to offer them here to a group that would appreciate them for less than "market". He did not have to. I think Kevin's offer is a testament to what I see occur here frequently - enthusiasts hooking up other enthusiasts with gears, with an eye for other considerations besides profit. That's very admirable, and it also is very common practice here - it says a lot about this forum.

To the best of my knowledge and belief, there was nothing "unseemly" here. As far as I know, I was the first to respond.....I did have a few questions about the specifics of these amps (primarily due to the lack of a pic), and offered to purchase based on those specifics being met. Since they were, I agreed to purchase them....although it took a bit for Kevin to get me those specifics, since he and I do work during the week.

My sincerest apologies to those who didn't get them. I know what it is to be on the other end, too. It's been a long two days here as well. I haven't slept 8 hours since he posted this. That said, I have an "offer":

During my time on this forum, I have assisted several in the procurement of MC30s and other gears - both to members, AND to lurkers, who simply have nerves about posting in public. Yet those lurkers learn and benefit, and appreciate their gear, and it's nice to share with them, too. If any of those who wanted these and were not successful want some assistance/advice in procuring MC30s, I would be more than happy to "help you look", as I have done for others. Granted, they would not be these, but if you really want MC30's, I am more than happy to help spread the joy to those looking by assisting them in finding what they are looking for. It's my way of spreading the benefits of my time here to others, because I get as big of a kick watching others get off on this hobby as I do getting off on it myself.

I guess it's easy for me to say "no hard feelings" given that I was the lucky one, but I sincerely hope there is no hard feelings. It was a long two days here too - and I don't think the wait was anyone's fault. We're all just hobbyists here - not "professionals". The professionals will get back to you faster, but they will rarely give you what we give each other on the forum - advice, friends, and just enjoying the hobby, at a price that's more than fair when it does involve business. I think it's pretty safe to say that if not for this forum I would not benefit from this hobby as I have. I think we could all say that to a degree.

I hope this clears things up some, and I really do hope there is no hard feelings.

Lesson learned.

The lesson is...... There's still a Crown out there with your name ALL over it - and for WAY less $$$. [:D]

...that won't have the magic that tube rectified MC-30's have. So....keep looking for those 30's meagain.

I'll never sell my pair and was actually hoping to add these to my collection as well but my attempt to contact Kevin was late.

Not suggesting there was anything 'unseemly'. Nor am I bent out of shape about losing the amps as I knew from the get go I wasn't first in line. I'm bent out of shape about the local Klipschorns I didn't bid on!

But believe it or not - I have a life also. It happens to be running boreing reports, and doing mundane things on my home pc so yea, I'm online. Usually not by choice.

I'm just being honest here cuz that's how I am. No secrets with me.

I figured Audible got them, as at least on this thread, was the first to respond. And it wasn't wishy-washy.

So yea, it was confusing to see Kev's posting here with no enlightenment as it didn't make a ton of sense to me when he had a slew of buyers - likely willing to purchase sight unseen. And yea, at some point, besides not making sense... it got irritating. :)

Did I say I was honest?

Then I'm getting emails from people asking ME if I knew the status. Asking if they were still for sale. And I'm like - heck if I know what's going on cuz I know Audible obviously really wanted them. Badly.

Said my peace. Congrats Audible!!! Cracking open a bottle of wine.... Meagain OUT.

I probably should stay out of this since i'm fairly new and not a party but...

Perhaps this is an example of why Klipsch won't allow a for sale/trade section on the forum.

At least my understanding is they will not formally sanction such activity.

This transaction not withstanding, I would like to see such a section as it would help me in my

quest to purchase an amp as I slowly upgrade my system. Just my perspective.

John

Gee, this has gone on for 5 pages.

Here is one synopsis.

1) Some guy does a nice turn by offering these for sale to Klipsch-minded folk.

2) There is one winner

3) There are multiple non-winners (I carefully avoided phrasing this differently).

What happens:

First, the nice guy (# 1) is is not congratulated on his courtesy, rather people (mostly & understandably the disappointed # 3s) beat up on him. This is not right.

Then, the #3s (and I understand their disappointment) start to whine ('fess up, this is whining..,)

Let's not discourage the # 1 from doing good deeds. They are to be encouraged!

Let's not bring up legal terminology either.

Let's share in the good victory for #2 (I hope you enjoy your new addition, I don't begrudge you)

Good Luck,

-Tom

First of all, apologies for the horrible grammar. Since I am too lazy to fix it, I'll get to a couple of questions.

Mike asked "what are these replacing". The answer is my lesser condition MC30's. My MC30 story:

I just fell in love with these classics several years ago. I find this era of audio to be the foundation for everything that we revere today in sound - Mac was a BIG part of that, as was Klipsch. The MC30s were my choice of amplifier on my 2 channel "vintage" Belle system, which is in my wife's sitting room, and is dedicated to her. My wife, who is an old fashioned sort of gal who has an affinity for all things well aged, really appreciates what that system represents: An era when build and quality really meant something, and the simple beauty of the equipment. She likes Mac chrome[:)] And her ears are quite sharp, although she really doesn't seem to think so.

Ever since we purchased that original pair of MC30's, we have had occasional conversations about getting a better, more "showable" pair for the main system (and even discussed the consecutive serial numbers - she knew what that meant). The lesser condition pair would serve as a backup pair to use in the HT on occasion - but foremost to provide a lifetime parts backup, in case these need service or parts 20 years from now and parts are made of "unobtainium", as Terry says. You see, when I leave this planet, I would be perfectly happy listening to the glowing tubes of Mac on Klipsch, and I want to be sure I will be able to own and service these amps as long as I am here. If I need tranny innards or circuit boards, I'll have them. I don't like, and can't really afford buying gear every year. Once I know what I like, I find it, and back it up for life (like I will be doing with Heritage guts). I want to know that I won't be out in the cold if I have an issue, cuz I'm only doing this "buying gear" thing once. Other than a few source changes as technology and time bring, I'm settled on what I will listen to for the next 30 years.

It wasn't really an immediate concern......I had no plans, nor was I really searching these out. At times, we discussed the fact that Mac was getting too pricey for us to be able to invest in later years from now, and wondered if we should consider newer stuff and less "investment" related equipment. An MC30 tranny 20 years from now? OUCH. But when I saw that post, I just HAD to bite.....they were literally my 2 channel amp dream come true. We are most grateful for this....and feel much better about keeping the 30's as a long term amp in the system. Having the extra pair will allow me to sleep at night, and feel more comfortable placing our hard earned dollars into it. Now to get an MX-110 for backup....then I'm pretty well set.

The 30's aren't necessarily "the perfect audiophile" amp (nor is the MX-110 - but together, [:)]). If you have not heard them, try to hear them before you buy, to make sure you like them (but by all means use Tele 12AX7's, no matter what the outputs). For similar or a bit more money, there are amps that perform on the overall very well against the 30's, and in many cases, better. Mcintosh, even the 30, isn't universally loved by everyone (I know many who much prefer the 8B, for example). But they don't have that Mac 30 midrange, folks - that ability to bring back those older recordings from the dead like the 30's do. Steve Hoffman commented that these (and I paraphrase), "do this one thing really well, but oh, what a thing!!!" For me, there are better bass and treble performers out there, but nobody's got the midrange of these.....and they sound sooooooo comfortable. Kinda like a fellow named Burgess said about the rock band Phish: "Ice cream for the ears". Now the 8B has it's own good traits, but it's a different thing. I could be happy with 8's, I suppose, they are VERY nice - but the Mac.......[:D]

So in one fell swoop, our committment to McIntosh became sealed, and we now feel much better about our overall path with that system. It appears that our goal of "McIntosh 30's for life" has been realized. We worried about whether that was feasible and possible, but now that issue is solved.

So, anybody have a mint ST-70 I can have for around $300???

(Simple pleasures, in this stage of the game, for meeee!!!)

[:)]

I don't know about $300, but I've seen some REALLY nice looking rebuilt Dynaco stuff on Audiogon, for modest prices. Fella by the name of "autospec" has some nice looking stuff, and it looks GREAT. Might check Craig's (NOSValves) page too, and see if he's got anything in the used tube gear department - he does on occasion. Check Audiokarma, too.

meagain said:

"I'm bent out of shape about the local Klipschorns I didn't bid on!"

Considering the attention/reading this thread is getting, let's again take this commercial time out to keep our collective eyes peeled for these. This forum is kind of interesting that way......stick around long enough and we'll find what your looking for. I will keep my eyes and ears open. LOTS of possibilities around that area over time.

And BTW, I also want to state that I wasn't accusing anyone of anything - just my disappointment in the negative feelings. We want to make friends around here, I think, more than anything else, and while the disappointments do happen (like the saga of Timmikid, from the Netherlands, on his MC30's), we have ways, in time, to help each other find what they are looking for (like Joe hooking up Tim with his 30's). I had several pairs of Belles slip through my hands before I finally got them. So be patient, and stick around[:)], and hopefully you and your Klipschorns will meet fairly soon. One note here: It is approaching summer, the time when deals start to show up on audio gear. There's no better time to buy than when the weather begins to warm, and people start to clean out the unused and indoor stuff as they go outdoors.

Congrats on the MAC!! Best wishes to you any your wife.....

I have been on Audiogon, and absolutly fell head over heels in love with a reworked st-70.... I have also been talking to Craig, I am sure my patience will pay off in spades...

What do you think? It just looks so clean, and I am like you in that it has to look as good as it sounds. A bit anal, but hey, whatever makes ya happy! I offered the builder $500 shipped, but it would be closer to $700 with a 2 week wait. Obviously I like something with a little "eyeball"....

post-21157-13819283641982_thumb.jpg

"I have been on Audiogon, and absolutly fell head over heels in love with a reworked st-70.... I have also been talking to Craig, I am sure my patience will pay off in spades...

What do you think?"

Those sure ARE lookers, aren't they? I don't know much about the specific rebuilds/parts/circuits (I do know you want the cloth lead trannies, which these have), but it's no wonder he's asking $700 for these....for that kind of workmanship, he can't be making that much on 'em......he's doing it for the love! There's been lots of positive comments on these, and those I have read seem very happy with his builds and restorations overall. It's nice to see people doing the cosmetic restorations, too.

That same seller had a real nice pair of Dynaco III a few weeks back as well. Bet those sounded good.....

Gee, 5 minutes left for a cuppa coffee and a quick glance on the board... 6 pages! I just had to read them. Now I am late for work. [:)] So very quickly: I am so happy that this forum remains a special place where things like this happen. When I got scammed on ebay with a pair of mc 30's many fellowmembers here started a quest : "mc30's for Timmikid". Now let me tell you everybody involved outdid themselves and I have been enjoying them for quite a while now and like Audible Nectar I don't even want to think how my musical life would be without them. Again, when I say "no profit was made on this transaction", it still is an understatement.

We don't need a for sale/wanted section, because whenever someone is looking for something, just post it here and many of us will look and sooner or later find! Just put a reminder, some call it a shameless bump, down. And when someone here has something nice to offer, like Kev had the other day, well that's just great! After my scam I waited maybe 6, 7, 8 months before my fellow forum buddies had a "little surprise". I know Audible Nectar has been looking for this set for a long time and I think the right person won these very deservedly. You reap what you sow, and Joe and Audible sowed a very pretty set my way, much prettier than the set Audible owned himself!!! Congratulations! So to all the disappointed: If your interest is genuine and lasting, it will come sooner or later. Please show your interest here and ask advise before pulling the trigger on ebay!

And now my boss is really po'd! [:$]

MC's and Klipsch rule! [Y]

We don't need a for sale/wanted section, because whenever someone is looking for something, just post it here and many of us will look and sooner or later find!

Let's start a "Belle's for Gilbert" thread. And find me some early nosy looking Belle's, with beautiful wood graining and pie slice logo's.....Oh twinkle twinkle little star put a big pair of Belle's in my car...

Let me go check......