Importance of timbre matching??????

firedawg24

YES! Here are two examples.

Listen to a concert DVD or Music DVD, when the music pans to the back or sides you want it to sound the same - Don't you? I have a King Crimson DVD and when Bill Brufords snare drum in in the rear, I want to hear the same snap as when it is in front.

In my HT, I hear a lot of imaging between my mains and sides. I hear things coming from 45 degree angles, imaging coming from Horz and Verticle etc. If the timbre was off, the imaging would suck.

JM

I am also a big believer in timbre matching, and use six Cornwalls. JM is on target here....with today's music and movie DVD productions, the sonic benefits of timbre matched speakers cannot be overstated. Once you hear a system like this, you'll never want to do it any other way. Not everyone has the space to set up six Cornwalls or another large Klipsch model, but if you can, you should!

YES.... I use 7 Split exact Klipsch La Scalas... It does matter... Especially left center and right...

I will even go out on a limb and say this too.. 7 exact speakers... of pretty good quality will outrock a miss matched set of some great and some bad ones too. The idea is it is seamless/./ All around.

I do realise a lot of people can't do this.. I built the space to do so here. It is a leap of faith, but take it from some of the "older folks that have been there, tried that" .... If you can go for it.. DO IT!!

I agree with the previous posts. I have three Cornwalls and two Heresys (rear surrounds) in my HT, and the timbre match is excellent.

I experimented with Cornwall IIs (replacing the Cornwall mains), and the timbre mismatch was noticeable (not terrible, but noticeable). The CWIIs are great speakers, but there is enough difference from the older Heritage speakers to hear the difference.

Good timbre matching is essential for the front speakers. Most of the sound, maybe 70% comes from the center. Most of the rest comes from the left and right front speakers. And sounds frequently pan from side to side on the front speakers. A less than perfect timbre match here is very noticeable.

IMHO the timbre matching of the other speakers should be as good as possible. Whether you will notice a less than optimal match will depend on your ears. I have Heresys all around. They currently all have the same K-77 tweeter and and K-55-V squawker driver. At one time the rears were Heresys, but with K-53-K squawker drivers. The difference in timbre was noticeable enough to me to force me to replace them with Heresys with K-55-Vs.

So I have a pair of Fortes in front, and an Academy coming--hopefully next week--just until I can find another Forte for the front. However, in the rear and back, I have no room except for some smaller on wall speakers.

Do you guys have any recs, on what would be the best compromise? The Fortes I have now are Forte 1s built in 1988.

Thanks.

I believe the Academy is a timbre match for the Forte (IIs?) so you should be real close...I use my HT set up mostly for HT so my Academy/Heresy front is pretty nice...I have a second set of Heresys and listened to an all Heresy front and I was very surprized to find it sounded better...not worlds better but it was noticeable...moreso for those listening to music but...thanks to Frzninvt and Olorin...they know!

Bill

See, even with Malcolm he noticed it over time that it did not sound right, and changed it so it would. Most people will obviously hear it in the mid to high frequency ranges more too. So with the same tweeters, same mids... So from left, to center, to right, these are the three most critical ones to use in HT, yes you will be happy.

But like others have also pointed out if you really like to listen to music.. Concert DVD's it will be even more important in 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 sound modes too.

That is not to say there are not good made centers or sides or surrounds.. Some very close to the the other speakers. But they are, for lack of candor here.... A substitute.

But bottom line is this.... If your an "audio purist" and want a 100% match, your just going to have to use the same components. It is breathtaking, trust us. Even some on here have taken the same size box and made a custom RF7 now a custom RC7 (Reference series top of the line build a new speaker box, and keeping the horn in the center.. They re mounted the bass speakers and been VERY, VERY, happy with it.) Why go to all of this trouble? Your looking for the ultimate match, thats why? You will hear it. I think we even have one Klipsch BB member that did a custom K horn center as well..hahahahahaha

• Moderators

Before i started reading on this forum 3 years ago i never thought about timbre matching, maby efficiency because some speakers played louder than others.

But after reading i bought all timbre matched speakers ,Synergy very big difference with matching timbre ,so i figured you guys are right about this i might as well take some more advice. So switched to Forte ll's[advice from the forum again].

Forte ll's sounded much better than the Synergy's .

Ok i have taken the advice of this forum and you all are batting 1000 ,so it seems the latest direction is all identical speakers.

Well you guys are correct again, to me there is as much of a change from non timbre matching to all timbre matching as there is in all identical speakers ,there is that much difference. With 3 Forte ll's across the front it's like a wall of sound no changes in any way,you have to walk up to it to even hear if the center is on there is no change from mains to center,no gaps in sound or changes in any way, like there are speakers between the center and mains.

Ok, this is long enough already.

It's a darn good thing i didn't have to pay for all this advice,or just keep switching speakers to finally find out ,coulden't afford that route.

" IT MATTERS, LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE ,THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT "

Thanks Again

" IT MATTERS, LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE ,THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT "

I learned from Moon, Q man, Colterphoto1, Trey Cannon, Steve Phillips, and my own hunches..

Just great you caught the bug, and found out for yourself.

My dad used to say, "Experience is great, and the good thing is, it doesn't always have to be your own!! We can use what others know and get similar results too.

I frantically played with the buttons on my AVR remote but couldn't shut them off in my haste. I powered everything down and ran around the room like a crazy woman yanking the speaker wires! It was like someone was taking a chainsaw to the khorns. That's how horrifying it was.

I also noticed a great improvement going from La Scala in front, Heresy centre and different brand cones as surrounds, to Klipschorns in front, Heresy centre and La Scala surrounds. Much better now.

A Cornwall or Lascala center would be a huge improvement for you IMO. Heresys in the rear are fine IMO.

I also noticed a great

improvement going from La Scala in front, Heresy centre and different

brand cones as surrounds, to Klipschorns in front, Heresy centre and La

Scala surrounds. Much better now.

A Cornwall or Lascala center would be a huge improvement for you IMO. Heresys in the rear are fine IMO.

I'd have room (just barely) for a horizonatllay-mounted "vertical

Cornwall", but I don't like the off-axis sound nor the looks of a La

Scala on its side. A single Walnut Oil Cornwall would be

fantastic indeed, but in the meantime the single Heresy does a good job.

The alternative is building a custom center. Some sort of split Cornscala.

Yep!! Exactly. A split Cornscala. The right top end, but hopefully a more petite (at least less deep) bass bin of a Cornwall. I cannot figure a way to work out a deep split Scala bass bin on this wall. PSG - if you figure this one out - give me a yell.

I though maybe a sideways Scala under the TV. Maybe grill the entire thing for looks. But - does it sound weird sideways like that?