CDs sound better than vinyl . . .

DizRotus

Without a doubt......................., you are definitely "Def"!

Get yourself a Blose system.

Klipsch out.

Gosh, what an unintelligent response. You forgot to tell us how much you've sunk into your electronic monstrosity.

To design one of these is no simple undertaking for any designer with a gain of 2000, 36000 before the RIAA network and to keep it stable with low noise; My first phono took a couple of years of developement to beat out a very good sounding solid-state unit this particular unit took about 3yrs of thought with some interesting discoverys along the way like getting a bulk electrolytic power supply which sounds pretty dark and ugly to sound like the transparency and speed of a Polyprop based supply which was discovered by going after another principle.

As one DIYer pointed out for every dollar one spends you often can get 10 back in performance and I think this project met that mark as for the cost of this project it was a 1000$ in parts with several hundred hours of thought and alot of math.

SET12

. . . from the library, at least. Its not meant to start a flame war.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

One can actually check out CDs from the library and listen to the music. Did you ever try to check out a record? If you werent the first person to get to it, you might as well drop the stylus on the turntable's mat. At best, you might be able to hear enough music through the dirt and scratches to decide to buy a clean copy.

With CDs you can actually hear the music. As I type Im listening to disc 3 of Miles Davis Chronicle the Complete Prestige Recordings, from the public library, they sound great even though Im not dragging a semi-precious gem across vinyl.

Personally the vinyl horse left the barn and took my TT (modified AR/SME/SHURE V-15 III) with it, and I don't miss the hassle, but Ill defend anyones right to prefer good vinyl to CDs.

Not that I mind, mind you, but this thread has gotten--predictably--way off topic.

Listenable CDs are available at most public libraries; LPs are not, and never were.

When LPs were still generally available at libraries, their poor condition made them virtually useless. Today, even abused CDs from the library can give you a taste of the performer, the performance, the recording, etc., if you like it, you can buy it in whatever medium you prefer, in which it's available.

You may now return to debating the relative merits of analog and digital.

I check out CDs all the time. About 1/4 of them are too trashed to play in my car. Still, easier then checking out LPs. I don't understand why people feel obligated to trash library property. It's just sad.

The libraries that I'm familiar with have buffing machines to take care of typical CD handling abuses. Same goes for DVD rental stores.

Actually, my hearing is acute and always has been at least 98th percentile. I can certainly tell a dramatic difference between a live performance in a good acoustical space and an audio system. Can't you? Of course you can. If we can both hear this difference and yet, one of us can't hear much difference between a carefully selected moderate-cost audio system and a high-end system, the sensible conclusion is that there is little difference to hear.

Actually, my hearing is acute and always has been at least 98th percentile. I can certainly tell a dramatic difference between a live performance in a good acoustical space and an audio system. Can't you? Of course you can. If we can both hear this difference and yet, one of us can't hear much difference between a carefully selected moderate-cost audio system and a high-end system, the sensible conclusion is that there is little difference to hear.

Def,

Sensible to who? If you can't hear the difference between the most carefully selected moderate cost audio system and a carefully selected high end system, YOU ARE DEF! So now we're back to where we started. You are only fooling yourself, but as long as you're happy ...................................................enjoy! I'm still waiting for something intelligent to respond to, but I'll cut my loss at this point.

Klipsch out.

I thought two things reading through this entire thread:

This debate is between those of you that FEEL and those of you that THINK. There doesn't appear to be a consensus on which camp either side belongs. [:^)]

2) All of you have an El Camino either in the driveway or stored in the garage. In the words of a fellow Arkansan, "Go Baby." Go straight to the Multi-channel audio store! [au]

I normally don't post in two channel but I enjoy reading your posts and listening to your gear--My recommendation to you folks that have more than 2 speakers hooked up to your rig:

1) Go get your Vinyl or CD copy of "Speaking in Tongues" by the Talking heads or "Electric Warrior" by T-rex and enjoy it for the last time.

2 ) Then go get the multi-channel version of the same Albums.

3) Sit back and enjoy sonic bliss as you reminisce about the ole El Camino days. [A]

{Of course all of the above was said with not only a [;)], but also a [:(], given the stagnancy of multi channel music today}

Well, tkdamerica

I 'm not ofended at all really![:D] I will say I to am rarely in the multi-channel side of of this forum[;)] I'm glad you enjoy what you have!

I'm sure 2-channel gags you as much as multi gags few of us and I guess with multi-channel format isn't an issue for you but that coming isn't it? I'll have to peek in and see how that goes![:^)]

SET12[:D]

Never really liked multi channel for listening to music from cd/vinyl or tapes...............always used 2 channel on DVD's until I got the right cables to play DTS, now I can't imagine listening to concert DVD's in anything less than 5.1 or DTS, what a difference........................

Well, tkdamerica

I 'm not ofended at all really![:D] I will say I to am rarely in the multi-channel side of of this forum[;)] I'm glad you enjoy what you have!

I'm sure 2-channel gags you as much as multi gags few of us and I guess with multi-channel format isn't an issue for you but that coming isn't it? I'll have to peek in and see how that goes![:^)]

By No Means does 2-Channel Gag me!

I love and appreciate the creative inspiration that goes into all aspects of the Art (and appreciating the Art) of Music. If I had to equate it to something it may be how I feel about Pizza. If I am at home I ALWAYS prefer Pepperoni. If I am out and someone offers me a Hamburger and Mushroom slice, I can enjoy that equally as well. [:)]

I didn't mean to hijack this thread and will respectfully step out. [au]

Well, tkdamerica

By No Means does 2-Channel Gag me!

I love and appreciate the creative inspiration that goes into all aspects of the Art (and appreciating the Art) of Music. If I had to equate it to something it may be how I feel about Pizza. If I am at home I ALWAYS prefer Pepperoni. If I am out and someone offers me a Hamburger and Mushroom slice, I can enjoy that equally as well. [:)]

I didn't mean to hijack this thread and will respectfully step out. [au]

Thats nice! I wish I could say the same but I can't[;)]