Crites Tweeter

DRBILL

It is hard to use words to describe sound except through simile. When I installed Bob's A/AA crossover I noted that it was like washing a dirty window glass. Last night I installed his tweeters and I am prepared to say that it is like no glass at all! Completely transparent, without the harshness that seems to plague so many when listening to Klipsch gear.

I remember what it was like as a high school kid hearing Klipschorns. It is said that you can't turn the clock backward, but Bob Crites has come pretty close.

I predict that this is going to be big.

DRBILL

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I received mine yesterday and installed just one of them in my Lascalas to do a comparison. What everybody has been saying about them is true so far. There is definately more clarity and detail and much less harshness. Bob did a great job on these as he always does on any of his projects.

Bob,

If I switch the crossovers I got from you from the AA to the A set up, what sound difference should I hear or is it just the absense of the tweeter protector?

Bernie

Bernie,

It seems that of the few that have had the tweeters and the ability to change from AA to A, the A has been prefered so far. The tweeter protection of the type AA is not needed for the new tweeters. Give it a try on type A and see what you think.

Bob

I apologize in advance if I'm hijacking this thread but I have a question....

When installing the new tweeters, are you taking off the top section?

In looking at my k-horns, there is no way am I going to be able to swap out the tweeters w/o some dismantling.

My arms are long enough to reach, but have a major problem with the dexterity part. [:$]

JJ

Bernie,

For what it is worth, I started off with Bob's crossover in the "AA" configuration. For the heck of it I decided to try the "A" setting (unplug two wires, plug in two wires, less than a minute each. The "A" setting was far more transparent for the tweeters. I can't imagine any effect that this could produce to the rest of the system.

As best that I can tell, the zeners clip the tops of loud waveforms going to the tweeters. This could be a lifesaver if you forgot and unplugged an RCA connection with the volume up. But this same feature is going to flatten the tops of program music which is an aural disaster with much harshness.

DRBILL

Bob:

I would love to try these really great looking tweeters sometime. Dee spoke very well of them, as others have just now. I guess we tend to want to keep the K-horns more stock-looking, although I have considered other tweeters in the past. What you have come up with seems like such a perfect solution, and I'm willing to bet Mr. Klipsch would have been honored!

Erik

My arms are long enough to reach, but have a major problem with the dexterity part. [:$]

JJ

I've never had to dismantle anything in my K-horns to remove and remount the tweeters. You have to remove the bolts, screws, or nuts that hold them in there (or hold the Z-bracket in place if you have those). If screws or bolts, you really need to use an electric screwdriver (a simple-handle manual screwdriver is too much trouble). If it's little nuts on bolts, a nut driver will be far, far easier to use than pliers or a wrench.

I suppose it would be a little easier to work with the K's being face down, but I think it's too much work and weight to move them around like that.

Be sure the wires to the new tweeters are fully attached before mounting. If you have to use different wires, fully attach them first! Turn the tweeter so that the connections are on the right side for the wires to reach comfortably.

I've read of cases where the top home plate had to be removed to take the tweeters out. but it's never been necessary on mine.

Larry

I have a set ordered so I will see soon. I'm currently running Bob's upgraded magnet version of the klipsch tweeter. It will surprise me if its a huge difference but you never know. For $150 why not give it a whirl in audio that is peanuts.

Craig

JJ,

Your arms are not long enough to reach with the top plate on. It's very easy to remove, just six screws (we are only talking about taking the TOP plate off - not the whole top section!)

See the pix below. Photo credit is Al Klappenberger. He sent this to me for the Trachorn upgrade.

NOTE: The photo shows the two horizontal screws that hold the grill in place. You DO NOT need to take these out to remove the top plate. Only the two verticle (up arrows) screws (on each side) that screw the top down. You will also need to take out the two screws on the two verticle supports in the rear. It's then very easy to reach the tweeter horn form the front. A five minute job.

post-21304-1381928379619_thumb.jpg

Larry,

Are you running Bob's new tweeters with the AK-4 networks??? I would be VERY interested in this...

Bill

Not yet. I just got them late today and won't get to it until tomorrow or later. Everyone feels it's a drop-in well-suited to the AK-4 and it's lower, 4500 Hz x-over point. BTW, I'm pretty sure the leads that came with them aren't long enough to go to the bass bin door, so I'll use the ones I have.

I'll post my reactions after a good listen, which will have to follow Marty's (Thebes') party and a Sunday event.

Larry